Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #1

Howdy from Tennessee...

Well my name is Larry aka"Captain Itch" I have spent a 25 years living on a houseboat in the keys,and once again have the itch to live in a small space..Long story short here I am living in Tennessee a few years later with my wife,enjoying riding motorcycles,and going to rally's all over the USA..So I just purchased a 1994 chevy P30 Step Van 20 foot long over all to be converted in to a small camper and tow vehicle for us.
Looks like a great site for info so I need to start looking for floor plans and get some ideas..
Houseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Houseboat, welcome to iRV2. Just post some of your questions and someone will have and idea or a suggestion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome from another tn transplant
brian j
Old 12-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Welcome!!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome, Houseboat. Post often and ask lots of questions, remember, there are no stupid questions.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome, I grew up in Madisonville, TN. Are you the Captain Itch from the harley forum?
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrv View Post
Welcome, I grew up in Madisonville, TN. Are you the Captain Itch from the harley forum?
That would be me..Captain Itch..I found this forum,because of a new project I am starting.
Long story short I travel around to bike rallies selling my leather goods that I manufacture and was getting tired of living in a 14 ft Homesteader trailer with 2 Harley's and all of my stuff.While the F150 would tow ok it did not offer a lot of comfort for sleeping,storage,etc.
So in an attempt to find the right tow vehicle for the trailer,and to have some space for creature comforts, I settled on a 1994 Utilimaster Step Van.All aluminum
First off it is a 1994 Chevy P30 step van,over all length is 20 foot.This will fit in my garage.Dimensions behind the drivers seat 11'6" long,6'3" wide,and about 6' in height.
The power plant runs but has seen better days it is a 350 chevy with a 3 speed automatic tranny with dual tires on the rear.With low compression on the motor,and wanting a automatic transmission with overdrive and maybe a mild cam upgrade for towing I have started looking in to all of this,and if it is possible to switch the tranny set up around,with out changing out computers and all.The u joints squeak,and the shocks dive bad,the brakes pull to the side,and lets not forget to mention the ball joints..So if you need to contact me you can probably find me under the truck..
So if any one has any great ideas for floor plans,where to find parts,our any been there done that all ready stories..Please let me know..
Thanks for all of your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Itch Mobile 1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2128  
Old 12-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Welcome,saw a simaler(never could spell)unit at Harrison Bay State Park in Chattanooga,Tn. last year. The owner had done all the work himself. He was a fisherman and it was bare bones,just a cot and fridge. Had plenty of built in storage,from WallyWorld. Had traveled to Montana and Colorada in the past year. Only troube was the age limit from RV parks.By the way, Merry Christmas,we have a white Christmas. Shame we had to move to Texas from Tn to get one. Ed
1oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #9

Ed..all the best to you..we still have room for you in Tennessee!!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #10

Hi there,

We are full-time workampers originally from Dunlap, TN, but we are now in New Mexico doing volunteer work at Desert Haven Animal Refuge near T or C.

Wish we had snow for Christmas. Merry Christmas all!!!
Lady Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Houseboat. Don't forget to drop back to Florida for a visit now and then.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Welcome Houseboat. Don't forget to drop back to Florida for a visit now and then.
I am trying to hold out up here in Tennessee as long as I can..I will probably be at Bike Week in Daytona with our stuff, but hope to hit the Keys first..
Old 12-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
A hearty WELCOME from upper East Tn.
I know the part of house boat living. Owned a 42' Gibson. Nice now not to be land locked. I used to stay a while in islamarada just so. of Bud & Mary's Ah... fond memories. Some where on our forum are pictures and descriptions of a converted twin axle cargo trailer conversion. Might get some ideas there. I'll see if I can locate the site.
Again Welcome.
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I found this - It may or may not give some more options. Good Luck & MERRY CHRISTMAS...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f58/what-...way-56369.html
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote