Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #1

HOWDY....one go-getter here '97 Fleetwood 34' Southwind Storm all kinds of DIY

1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
Before I begin...allow me to say that I LOVE my RV, and am super excited about the prospects of the RVing lifestyle. That said....good lord..... i'm close to being overwhelmed here! I was recently "gifted" a 1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm on which I have in the past 6 weeks (with NO previous experience): removed completely the "AutoPark System", replaced the master brake cylinder, both front calipers (drivers side twice), all brake lines (which were amazingly hard to find prior to joining this site), chassis battery, both house batteries, replaced basically every ground line on the entire RV (due to extensive rust damage on the undercarriage), replaced regulator on the LP gas system, and removed the solenoid that connected to the LP gas regulator (due to rust damage, it was fused in the closed position, and I could not find a replacement part), all without the benefit of a functional leveling system!! I do not have all of my electrical issues under control just yet....but I do at least feel like that when it comes to that particular system, I at least am on the right track. Most recently, I have learned the definition of the term "hydraulic actuator coil". Specifically, Waterman part numbers 704116, and 704107 (I think...they aren't sitting in front of me.) which so far as I can determine, are no longer produced by anyone in the world other than Parker-Hannifin which bought out Waterman several years ago. I do have the cross-referenced part numbers if anyone is dumb enough to be interested. I have just ordered new brake hoses for the front calipers, as I believe that interior hose constriction has been causing my calipers to be unable to fully disengage when the brakes are released. Additionally, when connected to "camp power", I do not believe my house batteries are charging as my lights become dim on the second day at camp.
I believe I have a P-30 chassis (although after some brief reading on this site, I may actually have a P-32???) with a Chevy 454 7.4L. I have so many questions that I don't even know which one I'd like to ask first. I do have a helluva lot more answers now than i had 3 weeks ago, however, and I'm learning more every day (sometimes every minute). Soooooo.....I suppose what I'd like to know is: ARE THERE MORE OUT THERE LIKE ME???? Who would care to talk about and share what they've learned about these flummoxing contraptions? I'm Richard from Little Rock, and I'm in search of kindred spirits!! call/text me at 501-529-4478 or email me at rlfinch33@gmail.com
Really hoping someone somewhere responds to this. And if you actually read all of this...thanks and I'm sorry.

since this I've actually learned a little. Anyone with knowledge of what's in the picture, or of the difference in a 55amp Power converter vs. a 65amp one, feel free to spread some knowledge. Thx
richard
501-529-4478
or
rlfinch33@gmail.com
rlfinch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Richard, I don't have any information that will help you, and don't have a motorhome even similar to yours, but I'm very impressed with the amount of work you've done and the progress you've made. Keep pushing and work through those issues one at a time. You've obviously found this forum helpful. I'd say post those questions one at a time to the appropriate thread and you'll eventually get them all answered. As to your question, "are there more out there like me", the answer is yes. At some level we are all here because we'd like to do as much work ourselves as possible. Good luck and keep pushing.

Tags
fleetwood, southwind