Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #1

I am new here!

Hi everybody!
I am Jenny. I am new here and just starting out. I am spunky and have black hair with white high-lights so please, no "dumb blonde" jokes to answer my questions. I am ready to quit my job and buy a camper and see the world! (Thank you state lottery commission!).
Now where do I get started? Should I just go buy a camper and start driving around? Or maybe I should "ride shotgun" in one for a few months to figure things out? All I know is that I am ready to GO!
Thanks,
Jenny
jenny.rvgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Jenny..

Me and the love of my life Stephanie just sold our house bought a class a diesel and will be setting out full-time in June. Our decision of what unit to buy was based on many factors some of which i will list below. (PS; we also started out with a class c for one year)
1) amount of people travailing
2) will you be towing an additional vehicle
3) will you be driving a lot or camping a lot or both
4) how much space do you need
5) How much stuff will you be bringing with you
6) Used versus new ( l like used 5-10 years old as all the bugs are worked out)
7) What type of camping will you be doing? mostly RV sites, off services camping, or getting into those secluded areas? different applications require different RVs

Here is my 2 cents ;We chose our 40 ft diesel because we have enough room to run our business from, we can tow a vehicle no propblem, and its got air ride and is build on a proper frame (freighliner) it essentially rides like a bus and is very comfortable. Drawback is its very big and requires lots of room to maneuver but we can always unhook the jeep and check out those small roads.

Hope this helps and see ya on the road.....
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #3

I agree with Dennis on buying used. We bought our signature rig in late June 2010 for about40% of what the original owner paid new. It only had 12,000 miles on it and there were 45 hours on the generator hours meter.

It needed new tires and replacement of the slide toppers (about $3000 altogether). We chose a 32' model because we keep it on our third driveway section, alongside the garage and we didn't want it to stick out too far. It's big enough for DW and me and our one remaining Labrador, as we are tourers and not full timers.

We stayed away from Workhorse at the time because they hadn't figured out how they were going to handle the brake issues, so we ended up with the Ford F53 chassis and the 6.8L V-10 engine.

We don't run very close to max weight, as we're not out for more than a couple of weeks at a time and we tend to shop for food locally as we travel. This sixe of motorhome is just about ideal for us. The bedroom slide-out gives us a "walk-around" queen bed. It's actually a full domestic size queen on a slightly extended platform, so it's mor like a "shuffle-round". The living room/dinette slide is about 12 feet long and extends out about 3f eet, so there's good living space when we're docked. Also, the slide doesn't come in far enough to block access to the bath room and bedroom when stowed.

Overall, we're fairly satisfied with it. Forest River's build quality isn't the greatest, but it's OK. Ride quality is what you'd expect for an 11-ton truck and gas consumption as between 7 and 8 mpg without a toad.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Jenny and welcome to the forum. You can learn a lot from this place (I have been here a few short months just soaking it up... ) I'd suggest looking at all the RVs for sale in your area till you decide which layout of the "living area" suits you best. Have fun!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
welcome aboard jenny .if you have anyone to go with for a few trips do that. then start thinking about what kind of rig you want. had about all of them over the years ,like class a the best. you can pull a car or toy(atv) or not.much less setting up every time you stop at a new spot.what ever you buy its a good time to buy a good used unit .its a buyers market hope you have good luck .its a great life!!!

dan o7 36' fleetwood terra lx 67cal. style vw toad & ouad.
teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jenny! Welcome to IRV2! Glad to have you join us! I would spend a lot of time looking and talking to others before jumping in and buying something that may not be right for you. Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time on the site. Take your time looking till you find the floorplan that works best for you. Enjoy your shopping and all the future trips you'll take. Do post often and keep us up to date. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Were' ready to go also. but my state lottery won't help Us out yet! Jenny take your time, maybe you might try Renting a RV First and give it a go! Well good luck, and enjoy!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Jenny, welcome to the forum. Take your time and maybe rent something to try out the travel style to see if it really suits you before you invest. Best of luck to plans. Keep us up to date on how it is working out for you.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would even go as far as to look at new inventory on the lots to get acquainted with all the lengths and floorplans. This will give you a good idea of whats available and then of coarse look for a used but not abused unit. Welcome aboard and "Happy Hunting".

Steve and Cheryl w/3rd Crewmember Peanut
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Wrangler Toad via Stowmaster 5000
Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today.
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny.rvgurl View Post
Hi everybody!
I am Jenny. I am new here and just starting out. I am spunky and have black hair with white high-lights so please, no "dumb blonde" jokes to answer my questions. I am ready to quit my job and buy a camper and see the world! (Thank you state lottery commission!).
Now where do I get started? Should I just go buy a camper and start driving around? Or maybe I should "ride shotgun" in one for a few months to figure things out? All I know is that I am ready to GO!
Thanks,
Jenny
Welcome Jenny! You sound a lot like me! Except I have been an avid camper for several years. You will love it, trust me! I am not a blonde, but have enough blonde highlights that I also have to tell people to cool the blonde jokes when i have my "blonde moments"

I agree with those who suggested a rental, but if you don't want to do that I think that starting small might be a good exercise, that way if you don't like it, not as much invested in it. Many people who camp started the way of tent camping, then a pop up, then a TT, then some move on to fifth wheels and moter homes...me personally I stopped at the TT (travel trailer) as that is what fits my needs the most. I am sure you probably don't want to start as basic as a tent but maybe try a small travel trailer first before investing a lot. It really all depends on your interest level.

Riding along with someone else is also a great idea if you know someone who will let you tag along.
JadedDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Jenny, welcome to IRV2! Congratulations! I would really suggest you take your time looking at all that is within your price range and a floorplan that you are happy with. Also if your looking at the larger units, that you can drive it. There are driving classes available, so you don't have to rule it out, just make sure you are comfortable driving it. Renting is definately an option so that you don't buy and then find out you hate it. Good luck on your search and keep us posted.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #14

congratulations on becoming an rv'er. let us all know what you end up doing, look forward to bumping into you on the road or in my home state of Arkansas
btaylor2000 is offline   Reply With Quote