Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

I love my RV and have no clue what I am doing!

I am so happy to be part of this community however, I will drain the brain of anyone who knows anything about my old 1994 Fleetwood American Eagle which I call the FAE. I bought it on 10/18/21 and with my friend helping me, I am trying to get it completely road worthy so if I can handle any issues that come up once I am solo on the road.
If any one can help me with the manuals for the engine and the generator, I would appreciate it. I called Onan on the genny and was told that I need the info on it which of course has disappeared into history. If there is a plate somewhere with this, I would appreciate the help finding it. The previous owner said he never used it in his 6 years of ownership. It looks pretty daunting. I do need a tuneup and the tales told so far have not been encouraging but I know I can get it done. What I don't know is what to do. So, finding an instruction manual will help. My door takes the arm of Hercules to open but I get it done because REV told me they can't replace it, find it at a salvage yard, etc. So my right arm is growing a muscle in a week.
Once I learn all I can and ... daily this is happening, I will be overjoyed to share my news with anyone else who can use it.
I have looked at a few RV parks and the thought of pulling my huge beauty in one is pretty intimidating, I will give it a try about the beginning of December.
Does anyone know where to buy the lightbulbs for this FAE?
I know it's a lot to ask so I will volunteer some personal details.
I am retired a retired Hollywood Teamster who lives in Deming, NM and my home is up for sale as we speak which is why I am now living and learning how to use the FAE. My dog and cat needed a place to travel with me while I look for a new home for us. I am sorely tempted to live in my little dollhouse of an RV but I want a home too.
Thank you for reading this far and I hope to be in touch again.
...Alley Kat
Alley_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
First, keep this link handy for your genny - they make after-market control boards that are better than original.
https://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/on...ting-guide.pdf
Second, just do a general service on it and see what happens - change the oil and filter, clean or change the air filter - it might be good to go.

There are also some good videos on you tube about maneuvering a DP that will take some of the guess work and stress out of it. If I can find a link to one I really like Ill post it here.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #3

Here is a link to FAE's manual, you can download a copy.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/85...94.html#manual
The generator should have a nameplate on it somewhere or at least a model number. Same as the engine... we cannot accurately guess over the interweb.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Here’s a link to an RV driving confidence course

https://youtu.be/4CeThR_A4VI

some drills you can practice and very good info
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:23 AM   #5
YC1

Welcome to the family.

This sounds like a fun adventure. With the rv you may be able to search long and hard to find somewhere you want to settle that you never thought of.

A couple of pictures now would be very helpful. Pictures of the door come to mine of course and the generator. Door alignments are common and Onan generators are out there by the millions so support should be great.

The generator definitely needs to be run, run, run.

If you have not driven anything like an RV before and even with lots of experience it is a great refresher.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:56 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig. Lots of info here and you will find that U-tube will become your friend as well.

You are joining a good group friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #8

Congrats on your new rig. and retirement.

We were all new once, these beasts can be intimidating.

Practice, practice practice your driving and parking.

Soon you will be tooling down the road.

May you have many miles of smiles.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Welcome to the group from the Orlando Thousand Trails Park, for now. Next week it will be points south.

Consider adding information in your signature line about your rig, so everybody will have a reference when you ask questions.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Best of luck.

Here’s a suggestion, hire a mobile RV tech to come to your RV to fix the door and check out and service the generator and while the tech is there show you how everything works.

It may cost a few hundred dollars but will be worth every penny.

Everyone seems to suggest this guy, but there are others in Deming. Also he may not come to you, you may have to drive the RV there. Call them.

Jimmy's RV Repair
Deming, New Mexico
Address: 700 N Gold Ave, Deming, NM 88030
Phone: (575) 544-0215
Old 11-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Kat, if you'll add your location information to your profile you may find someone here who'd be willing to come over and help you with some of your questions in person.