Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think we've made a (*small) step up from a tent!

Hello. Complete noob here. Here's the deal: I build furniture and recycle scrap metals. Bought a 1983 Ford van/Honey (maybe 22 ft) for about half of scrap weight value, and the more I got into it, the more I realized it's a keeper. I've always wanted something better than a Walmart tent and it fell into my lap for a little over 400 bucks.

Only downside I see to it is, a hailstorm took apart the cowl over the a/c, and a section of the ceiling is sagging. Behind that, the framing and outer sheath are solid, no flex whatsoever, as hard as I could push. No soft spots around door, toilet, or any windblow corners.

The thing is complete, down to drinking water hoses, poo pipe, and a half-full propane tank.

Under the hood looks like it was maintained by someone approaching anal-retentive/OCD. What I thought was a crudded up frame is actually that heavy undercoating!

Owner passed a few years ago, family finally got shed of it, and I'm going to see what kind of trouble I can get into when I convince the wife that we SHOULD keep this machine!

Looking forward to grazing and learning, and possibly helping on mechanical/carpenter type issues. I'm thoroughly ignorant of systems on a motorhome right now, but it's not from inability to learn, just inexposure to the systems as they're used on a MH.

Bill
RedneckDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi RedneckDog, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you found a BARGAIN. Get that part of the roof repaired and make sure it is all water tight. Enjoy.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Hi RedneckDog, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you found a BARGAIN. Get that part of the roof repaired and make sure it is all water tight. Enjoy.
Clear sky tonight, and son and I are going to get it in the barn tomorrow, where it'll STAY until the roof is fixed. Looks like it's only had one rain event on it, and it is completely dry now, with no musty or mildewy smell in it whatsoever, not even in the carpet on the floor. I suspect that it didn't get terribly wet past the ceiling materials, because there's not even a water ring on the carpet.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Congratulations redneckdog

`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
~~~~~~~~ CONGRATULATIONS ~~~~~~~~
¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤.

So glad you moved up to a class C and with your skills you'll do an EXCELLENT job at restoration and modification I'm sure.
Pics of how it turns out would be GREAT!
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bill! Welcome to IRV2! We're glad to have you in the group! Congrats on the new rig! It sounds like you got yourself a real bargain! Keep us posted as you work on getting it "up to snuff". Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well most RV roofs are basic carpentry save for the rubber top coat,,, I'm not sure how to do that one.. But I'm sure you have the skills.

As for the A/C.. What make and model,, There is at least one where finding covers can be a bit of a .. ER''' chore, as it happes I have a spare of that I just found space for.

(I'm going to keep it though) Folks here may be able to help you find replacements.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club

I bought AC Shrouds from these people and had good service and a quality product.
Air Conditioner Shrouds | AC Shrouds | RV Air Conditioner Covers

Here are some pix of the project.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212592

Good luck and ENJOY!

Dick
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #8

Congrats on your find and welcome to our forum. At some point it would be interesting to see some pictures. Good luck with getting it on the road!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Congrats on your find and welcome to our forum. At some point it would be interesting to see some pictures. Good luck with getting it on the road!
I'll be happy to post pics. This is the only one, so far, that I have of it. (I'm used to a "real" digital camera, and the one on my phone is very sensitive to holding REAL still while taking a pic )

If the link doesn't work, say so, and I'll find another 'home' for the pic so that it WILL work.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckDog View Post
I'll be happy to post pics. This is the only one, so far, that I have of it. (I'm used to a "real" digital camera, and the one on my phone is very sensitive to holding REAL still while taking a pic )

If the link doesn't work, say so, and I'll find another 'home' for the pic so that it WILL work.
That's a far cry from a tent

WTG
It"s a "HONEY"

Dick
Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #11

Welcome! great score....with a bit of paint and some elbow grease, you'll have a gem
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wound up dragging it home. Both tanks are full of dead gasoline, and the back bolts for the doghouse are frozen in their holes. I did get it to kick a couple times with ether wafted past the air intake, so I know it's not a spark issue. Engine turns over smooth, no binding like compression problems

Roof leak is more serious than I thought. Good thing we're in a drouth right now. Salt air on the coast got to it, or defective dip on a sheet of galvanized iron from factory back in '83. The whole left edge roof run of flashing/sheeting (I suppose flashing becomes sheeting when it exceeds a certain width? ) is riddled with small rusty holes.

Looks like an easy fix, however, with a tar bucket and a roll of 2 ft flashing. That is 2nd job, though. First job is to get the 460 running right; I have a dry barn I can park it in until I get the roof fixed.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
...It"s a "HONEY" ...
I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into a honey BUCKET
Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #14

if you can do the work yourself, there's not much on that Ford that'll cost you $$$$. Pretty simple stuff.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote