Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #1

I'm new and looking for some ideas

Hello Everyone I'm Eric,

I've been thinking about getting an RV for some time now. I just don't know what would be a good fit for me and my wife. We don't have a kids and thought about doing some light traveling. Any help would be grateful.

Thanks
saferwholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #2

An RV is about as personal a thing as a home. What size is right for you? My wife and I purchased a Rialta (21 foot) and put about 80K miles on it. Small, but good on gas and good for lots of travel. After several years and lots of miles we sold it and purchased a Class C 32 Foot motor home. We haven't been on the road significantly with it yet.

What we know is that the smaller one was economical, but we eventually tired of the sacrifices you make. The larger one will cost a bundle more to operate, but once we are somewhere it will be hugely more comfortable.

As I suggest in several articles, spend some time in various sizes. Sit, talk, think about where things would go, how would you cook or shower etc. Move around and get a good feel for the RV. Of course drive it. And then it becomes your best guess at what you will like.

Jack K
keanwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
JackK make some good points, here is a link to info to get you started.
Welcome to irv2.
The link to your business is against the forum rules would appreciate it if you will remove it, thank you.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Been into traveling with a motorhome for over 45 years; My advice on a motorhome is , #1 buy what you can afford, Do not become strapped to your MH. #2 Buy one that is 8/10 years old Under 50,000 miles The first year you may only put of 3000 miles Unless you use it as a car. 26/28 Feet long, Made up bed in the rear, Possabley a class C, Stay with a main brand Like a Winnebago, It is the chevorlet of motorhomes, Every one services them. after meeting thoseThings it will also be a resale able Unit when you update and you will up date. Our First one was a Shasta Back in the early years. Man we couldn't sell that piece of junk, I do not wish to offend anybody just being Honest; I could lie and say IT was a gem. I do not want to go to hell;; Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Since you're just starting, with all the types of RV's out there it can be overwhelming. If you can get to a major RV show I would suggest you go & look at all the different types of RV's on display. You will quickly begin to narrow down what will work for you. Chicago (your area) has the "Midwest's largest RV show..." coming in 6 months so that would be an ideal opportunity to view different RV's. If you're looking to buy sooner, head to a local RV dealer & check out what they have on their lot. You might also make a connection with a salesperson who will help you find something you like, or, if they don't have what you want in stock, will be the lookout for something for you.

Then, you might try renting RV's for vacations to see what you like. Some campgrounds have travel trailers to rent & there are RV rental companies that will allow you to try out a Class C or Class A. For a fraction of the cost of buying/owning an RV, you can try before you commit a good deal of money to one.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Missed you keanwriter welcome to irv2.
Thanks for you post, do enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
all replys are good.if looking for used one if the inside taking care of good chance the drive train was taking care of.everybody has there likes and disslikes.we were looking for 2 years we like slide out in living room.so look and safe travels
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote