Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
As I see it, there are three kinds of RVers; 1. Lots of talent, fix everything, give advice to others, and almost always right; 2. Do-it-yourselfers who try to save money, but it ends up costing them more, with an added dose of frustration; and 3. Those who know what they don't know, and can fix the small stuff, but have to pay to get most things fixed. The pages of this forum are filled with questions about how tos, and what ifs, and help me fix my mistake. The fellows who install their own batteries, and don't remember where the cables go, those who are trying to hook up their TVs, the guys whose alarms are going off and they don't know what to do, and those who cannot get the signal light to work or the back-up beep to stop, are all here; read em and weep! There is no right or wrong, and don't feel you are alone.

I'd say that sums it up nicely.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Howdy and welcome! In my opinion, you need to have some mechanical aptitude and physical ability, or you need to have plenty of money to pay someone who does.

Many times, you need all three. Good luck!!

I couldn't agree more.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

If you plan to do a lot of long-distance traveling, the MH would be a good choice. If you plan to do mostly local camping with an occasional week-long trip, then you might want to consider a 5th wheel. There is definitely more to go wrong on a MH than a 5er or TT!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #18
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Firstly, if you do choose to purchase, you probably picked the best forum on the net to join. I have found it easy by simply asking and you get answers in spades! Most people here have just about had every scenario happen and have either shared their experience or helped someone who needed it.

In my years prior to owning a Class A, I always took my cars and trucks to a mechanic once the area under the hood filled up so you couldn't find the engine.
The main reason, however was simple. I'm a "Bleeder"! It seems I just have to look at a wrench and the skin just falls off my knuckles and the blood freely flows! LOL

With the help of this forum, I have dared to take on more of the day to day small repairs, however still leave mechanical and major electrical to the professionals. You have to know your comfort level and the limits of your abilities.
The folks here can also help you to narrow down what your issues might be so that you can at least be an educated consumer when you do have to take your rig to a shop. Saves a lot of diagnostics and costs when you can communicate to the shop what you have already checked. The more things you attempt successfully on your own, the more comfortable you will feel with taking on more.

Some will say having a truck and 5th wheel are simpler to maintain because of the systems used. Personally, I just like the Class A for the ride and convenience.

You have to consider what your use will be in an RV. Most will choose a Truck and a 5th wheel when staying in one place for at least a few days due to set up. Class A's would work for any needs.

Whatever your choice is, it opens a whole new way of seeing the sites you don't normally get to by plane. It's a lifestyle made for many and if you do your homework, not necessarily as expensive as it can be.

Whatever you choice may be, we wish you well in your endeavor!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I know owners who only carry a cellphone and a checkbook in their tool box.
RVs are awfully expensive to maintain when you can do things yourself.
Mel
'96 Safari
didn't you really mean
Quote:
.... Maintain when you Can't do things....
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #20

A motorhome is chock full of different kinds of systems. They are either electric, hydraulic, or mechanical/electric, and if one goes down, there are various degrees of panic induced; depending on which system.

Having the desire to get going again (before you wait for the mobile repairman to travel 100 miles @ $120/hour) is what you want to talk with the mirror about.

If you're a logical thinker, then your skills can be honed by sheer motivation

Even new motorhomes have growing pains, and just because it's under warranty doesn't mean that you'll be able to get it to a dealer to get it fixed. Your concerns are very well founded, IMO>
Old 07-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to the forum........You might consider a travel trailer or 5th wheel if a class A intimidates you, although I have heard other new RVers quickly loose that fear once they got behind the wheel. The other great thing about RVers is that the majority love to help each other. So if you were to have an issue on the road just ask an RVer or write out the problem here. Don't let apprehension take you out of the RV life style. Good luck
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-School Bus View Post
From what I see, it appears that one needs to be pretty mechanically inclined to enjoy the RVing lifestyle (or at least not become completely frustrated with and broke by it). Is that a fair assessment?
Yes that is a fair assessment. Alot of things can be fixed easily if you understand your systems and how they work. However if you have to take it to a shop for everything you will likely go broke as they can easily fool you and charge a ton for something like a loose wire or blown fuse. Personally I enjoy learning about and knowing the systems. I find it interesting. But if your the type that really doesn't want to know I think getting an RV would be a mistake.

You can always enjoy the lifestyle by renting. That way when things go wrong you return the unit and let them deal with it.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with making your choice.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Not sure I can help with your question, been messin' with mechanical things for over 50+ years. Lot of my knowledge came from experience, some technical instructions. You're never to old to learn something new. Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
LoopFrom what I see, it appears that one needs to be pretty mechanically inclined to enjoy the RVing lifestyle (or at least not become completely frustrated with and broke by it). Is that a fair assessment?

H-School Bus[/QUOTE]

That's just the fear talking. All you need is good common sense, and the ability to learn as you go.
Read the manual, do the maintenance and you've got it 90% licked. The first obvious choice is to pick a gas motorhome in good condition. This is probably your most important step in the process. A good reliable MH will not give you lots of problems.
Yes stuff will break. Just be involved in the repair process as much as you can. You will learn.
If you are going to fulltime, yes being mechanically inclined helps. If you are going to do occasional camping, you can prepare more and again, do or have done maintenance.
Just take the costs of maintenance of your cars and home over the last 10 years and average it out. Then you have an idea of what your costs might be.

Some folks just buy a Diesel RV and then are astounded that a oil and filter change is 2-300 dollars. Some folks on here ridicule people for actually paying for their oil changes and maintenance and will tell you that you better have a big checkbook if you don't do it yourself.
Sorry to be so long winded, many are just trying to help and don't mean to make you fearful. If you buy a nearly new or new Gas Rv, maintenance and repairs should be less than $1000 per year including tires.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us.

Just like owning a house there are things that have to be repaired from time to time. If you are able to fix some things at home you will eventually figure out how to do things on your MH. I'm sure there are things in your home you can't fix and you have to hire someone to fix it. No difference with a MH.

Good luck with your decision. Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
my Uncle, did well not be mechanically inclined. He even paid the Wash and Wax of his coach. Traded every 5 years and always bought the service contracts. He loved Rving at the freedom to travel.

ps. he did drive a School Bus.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote

« New member | Hello »