Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy Is being mechanically challenged a deal-breaker?

My wife and I are seriously considering a first-time purchase of a motorhome. Up to this point, we've been a pop-up camper family.

Neither of us are mechanically inclined in the least. I know where gas and washer fluid go in a car and that's about it. I don't understand even basics about electrical wiring harnesses, fuses, or anything of that sort. Basically, if it cannot be fixed with duct tape or superglue, I have to hire somebody.

Have been reading lots of RV forums in trying to figure out whether a motorhome would be right for us. From what I see, it appears that one needs to be pretty mechanically inclined to enjoy the RVing lifestyle (or at least not become completely frustrated with and broke by it). Is that a fair assessment? I would really like to know before we go shelling out six figures on a purchase we might end up regretting. Would very much appreciate any candid thoughts in this regard, especially from those who, like us, are not mechanically inclined (if any of you exist out there in this forum :-)).

Thanks much!

H-School Bus
H-School Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome! In my opinion, you need to have some mechanical aptitude and physical ability, or you need to have plenty of money to pay someone who does.

Many times, you need all three. Good luck!!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum, all of us here are glad you posted.

If you want to RV, do NOT let your mechanical ability stop you from doin' it. There are many folks traveling in RVs that are not comfortable with doing repairs. Obviously, you will need to have the finances to pay for fixes that will be needed.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Welcome to the forum, all of us here are glad you posted.

If you want to RV, do NOT let your mechanical ability stop you from doin' it. There are many folks traveling in RVs that are not comfortable with doing repairs. Obviously, you will need to have the finances to pay for fixes that will be needed.
I would agree. There are often little things that may go wrong here and there but seldom are these things trip wreckers. I started out with no RV experience but was determined to learn as much as I could. I can't repair an engine, but I can certainly do basic maintenance which most people can do (change a bulb etc.) You may want to secure the services of a good RV shop and avail yourself of a yearly checkup before the season starts. Keep a list of the little things that may be plaguing you. Optionally, join a local chapter of an RV club. Folks are quite helpful and informative. They can share with you lots of good tips and information and even show you how things are done. The RV I bought had been misused and neglected and for the first couple of years, I was always getting this fixed or changing that piece of hose or what have you. Once I got most of the kinks fixed, troublesome things became much less frequent. Getting yourself a well cared for rig would probably help you avoid most of the nasty's It is far easier to maintain a rig rather than resurrect it which is what I had to do.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.....I would think a TT or Popup camper would have fewer systems to deal with and may be better suited for someone who is not as mechanically inclined as others, but they too will have issues that need attention....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It's not that I am mechanically challenged, just that I am 'motivationally' challenged I don't WANT to work anymore than I have to !

You could consider an rv roadside assistance package like from coach-net or good sam that will come out and repair what ails you... takes a bit more time than if you could do it yourself, but worth it to some
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #7

I would advise picking your dealer carefully as you will need maintenance from time to time and dealer service should not be a bad experience.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Only you can assess your comfort level. RVs are definitely complex items. Things will always need fixing, it's just an accepted fact. How are you around the home? Do you have to call a repairman for everything? If a hinge comes loose, a door knob falls off, water line starts leaking, and etc., can you tackle it, or do you call a repairman? For me, my RV is more like a hobby. I like using it as well as maintaining it. There is very little that I can't do, but occasionally, I would rather let someone else provide the muscle. If you are the type that doesn't know the difference between a socket wrench and an adjustable wrench, just keep plenty of $$$ in reserve. It is doable if you have very little mechanical ability, but it may become inconvenient and expensive. Best of luck!
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-School Bus View Post
My wife and I are seriously considering a first-time purchase of a motorhome. Up to this point, we've been a pop-up camper family.

Neither of us are mechanically inclined in the least. I know where gas and washer fluid go in a car and that's about it. I don't understand even basics about electrical wiring harnesses, fuses, or anything of that sort. Basically, if it cannot be fixed with duct tape or superglue, I have to hire somebody.

Have been reading lots of RV forums in trying to figure out whether a motorhome would be right for us. From what I see, it appears that one needs to be pretty mechanically inclined to enjoy the RVing lifestyle (or at least not become completely frustrated with and broke by it). Is that a fair assessment? I would really like to know before we go shelling out six figures on a purchase we might end up regretting. Would very much appreciate any candid thoughts in this regard, especially from those who, like us, are not mechanically inclined (if any of you exist out there in this forum :-)).

Thanks much!

H-School Bus

I have many fond memories of tent and pop-up camping, first with my parents and then as an adult. This gives you a leg up on the folks who are considering an RV and have never camped.

Mechanical aptitude certainly helps but is not a requirement to successfully enjoy the lifestyle. I have always been a DIYer and have continued to be as a full timer. I picked well when coach shopping. We bought a 3 year old fairly top of the line coach 8 years ago and I have largely maintained it myself. There have been zero major issues so if I had done none of the maintenance myself, at worst, it would have cost me a few hundred dollars a year more than it did.

My best friend and sometimes travel companion has zero mechanical aptitude. Checking the oil and filling the tank are the limits of his ability. He is a very enthusiastic motorhomer. He is currently headed to the Albuquerque balloon festival.

Bottom line, two different ways to enjoy the same lifestyle.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Howdy and welcome! In my opinion, you need to have some mechanical aptitude and physical ability, or you need to have plenty of money to pay someone who does.

Many times, you need all three. Good luck!!

I'm with Sarah! ....
Old 07-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #11

I know owners who only carry a cellphone and a checkbook in their tool box.
IMO if you aren't "mechanically inclined" fixing everything that wears out, (and/or breaks or needs work), your checkbook will be used often. (or your RV will soon be a useless piece of junk). .....
RVs are awfully expensive to maintain when you can do things yourself.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #12

FWIW as somebody with a not the top end coach I am happy to note that most of the problems I see are with systems I do not even have. If you want to dip into the Motor Home market I would start with a more basic unit. Anything with a less than $100,000 price tag is a good place to start. No jacks, couple of batteries, simple, basic and more comfortable than tents/tent campers. If you get that figured out and then decide to upgrade you will have spent less than the high end units depreciate in a year. ;-)

FWIW the biggest shock in going from a tent to a Class C was how *little* time it took to get set up. ;-))
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #13

Welcome to the Forum. You will learn what you can repair and what you will need to take to a dealer/repair shop. Before you take to a repair facility be sure to post here your problem. Many of us have had past experience in which we maybe able to help you fix yourself. I have often asked questions on issues that I have been able to correct from someone helping out here on the Forums or at a camp ground. Best of luck.

Good luck on your purchase.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #14

As I see it, there are three kinds of RVers; 1. Lots of talent, fix everything, give advice to others, and almost always right; 2. Do-it-yourselfers who try to save money, but it ends up costing them more, with an added dose of frustration; and 3. Those who know what they don't know, and can fix the small stuff, but have to pay to get most things fixed. The pages of this forum are filled with questions about how tos, and what ifs, and help me fix my mistake. The fellows who install their own batteries, and don't remember where the cables go, those who are trying to hook up their TVs, the guys whose alarms are going off and they don't know what to do, and those who cannot get the signal light to work or the back-up beep to stop, are all here; read em and weep! There is no right or wrong, and don't feel you are alone.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote

« New member | Hello »