Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Smile Just about have the new coach

Good afternoon!
After being tent campers for a number of years, we have finally settled on a 2008 26ft used Dynamax! We are thrilled, but of course a little nervous!

I have generally never been a fan of extended warranties, but of course we were offered this by the dealer. I'm going to do some searches on the forums, but does anyone care to offer a link to a good thread on this or have any advice? We will be using the rig primarily on weekends, and 2 bigger trips a year. Thats the plan for now anyways.

I have read a bit on roadside assistance services, I'm wondering if there is usually any kind of overlap with these coverages.

Thank you so much in advance, your collective wisdom is truly appreciated. I will put a bit more on my profile once we have things a little more settled.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
HERE's a fairly recent thread about the subject. Also, if you do a Search using the words extended warranty, you'll come up with a whole bunch more.

Some members have them either through the dealer or another source (pure profit for the dealer BTW). Others prefer to put that money into a savings account & earn at least a tiny bit of interest on it & have it there for when issues arise. Whatever you go with, read it, know it forwards & backwards, especially any exclusions & the procedure you have to follow if you're in a breakdown situation & there are no authorized repair facilities nearby.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
On a used motorhome I would be more prone to look at the extended coverage contract. These are very high profit for the selling dealers, so I would shop after market.

Be very careful of the stability and history of the company. Before you buy it, insist on a copy of the contract to read in detail. Pay particular attention to the what is covered and what is not covered. The lawyer weasel wording will drive you crazy.

Things like they may cover the wheel bearing, but not the axle if you have a bearing go out. They generally do not cover any kind of a seal or failure due to a seal.

Just remember....BUYER BEWARE.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can only speak to my experience. I bought a 2003 motorhome used in 2007 and bought the extended warranty. It have got a lot more out of it than I paid:

windshield started leaking, rusted frame - paid
windshields broke while repairing frame - paid
Actia display unreadable - paid
basement heatpump compressor locked - paid
refrigerator control unit failed - paid

Most of these repairs happened during the last couple of years, so I probably could have put money aside to pay as many suggest.

However, after putting a large down payment on the coach to reduce interest payments and pay off earlier, I did not have a reserve to set aside should any major problem occur in the first few years. To me, if you can afford to pay for a major repair then you probably don't need the coverage. If you can't afford a major repair, then you should probably consider the coverage.

Just my $.02.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

45 years in the auto repair business, and I generally consider these policies to be Swiss Cheese - full of holes. I dealt with a number of companies on behalf of my customers and most were reasonable to work with on small claims. Large claims, however, were bad news. My dad was a trial lawyer and advised me to "Always insure angainst the BIG loss". The problem is that many insurers seem to have the motto "Don't pay the big loss" Example: Almost all engine coverage is restricted to "failure of internally lubricated parts". This almost never happens in real life. Damage caused by overheating due to any cooling syetem component - which is the most common - is not covered. Bad hose, thermostat, radiator, fan? Sorry, we don't pay.

As already mentioned, most of what you pay is profit for the dealer or salesman. This leaves little for the company to actually pay out claims, so they work very hard to avoid paying.

I recently looked into "Coach only" coverage when I purchased a 3 year old MH. I didn't want to pay for engine and transmission coverage, but thought that problems with slides, steps, A/C, etc. might be worth it. They wanted 2K for 4 years coverage, and the slides were EXCLUDED (even though the salesman said that they were covered.)
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote