Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 10:03 AM   #1

Just ANOTHER day in paradise?

I am a disabled vet on a pension ( with a limited budget) and I just bought a 1997 Damon Daybreak 3010.
This is not my first time at the rodeo when it comes to motorhomes. I have been full timing and Snowbirding in various other RVs for over a decade.

The DAMON I purchased seemed to be in exceptional condition in and out, but it had been sitting for ?several? years. First thing I did was inspect the roof ( solid even with my 240 lbs walking around up there), with no rips in the rubber, just some checking that can be fixed with new paint. This classic had only 88,000 miles, it started, ran, and I took it for a short test drive before buying. The 454 TBI gas motor sounded good, felt strong, the transmission shifted where it should, but several of the auxiliary components ( headlights, dash A/C, electric steps,etc, etc, ) were non functional. The Onan generator had only 120 hrs on the clock, and started and ran great. The Onan had been recently serviced, and with the generator running, Roof A/C, microwave, water pump, and interior lights all functioned properly. I did not test the water heater or furnace, as it was 100 degrees in Tucson, and not much cooler where I park in Mexico, but the propane stove lit up nicely. The fridge was missing completely ... The major down side to the deal.

All in all a nice example of a well cared for older unit.

I paid $4000 for the motorhome, expecting to spend about that much more getting it ready for the road ... heading into MEXICO for another Winter of Snowbirding. Absolutely necessary was a RELIABLE vehicle, as decent repair and servicing RV shops are rare down there.

The plan was to
FIX IT RIGHT BEFORE I GO SOUTH FOR THE WINTER!

Obviously, after sitting in the Arizona sun for years, all new tires were first on the budget. Then three new deep cycle house batteries, followed by a full mechanical inspection of the drive train. A COMPLETE tune up of the big TBI 454 motor ( with new idler pulley and tensioner, serpentine belt, distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires) cost another $2000.
Fortunately, no fuel or injection issues were encountered.

After ensuring the drive train was solid, next came a suspension and steering inspection, and all new shock absorbers ... Those Mexican roads can be brutal.

I am currently living in the Damon, off grid, on a remote acreage in the Arizona desert . I am still working on some pesky electrical issues ... DAM PACK RATS love chewing on wires. And I am making do temporarily with an ice cooler until I can find a frudge. I just survived my first Arizona desert thunderstorm, with lightning, and the rig is watertight.
(;-{)

All in all,
I am very happy with what I spent and what I ended up with. My plan was to buy low, get a " fixer upper", and spend wisely on repairs and maintenance, rather than "buy high", and gamble everything was in good shape.

Next week or two, it will be time for a short shake down cruise into MEXICO ( ?almost Mexico?) to Rocky Point. After that, a month or so of some longer trips exploring AZ. Then down to Lake Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico, where I have a private lot to park on. At $150/month, with power, water, and sewer hookups, living is cheap. And my favorite restaurant is only a five minute walk away ...
Filet Mignon supper for $10.

Life is good ...
CARPE DIEM.
LAZ 1
(;-{)
LAZ 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to the forum! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! Good to have you here and I look forward to reading about your adventures. Sit back, relax and please, above all……stay safe out there!
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote