Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #1

Just new to all the rv stuff looking for tips, tricks, upgrades, do’s and don't

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6183.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	342102 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6181.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	342103 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6166.JPG
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	342104 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6178.JPG
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	342105
Chad3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Congrats on your purchase. Get familiar with your rig, all the in's and out's. Where everything is located, and read the manuals regarding the equipment installed. Most of all, enjoy it.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Get familiar with your rig, all the in's and out's. Where everything is located, and read the manuals regarding the equipment installed. Most of all, enjoy it.

Thank you, I got lucky the people before me put a lot of money into the rig and left all the the paperwork to everything behind with it this is my wife and my first rv so far we love it
Old 09-06-2021, 05:04 AM   #4

Congratulations on the new rig! Enjoy and have fun.

Make sure you have extra water hose, sewer line and power cord extension as you will need them at some point. And, have a Progressive Industries EMS or equivalent unit to protect your unit from any power problems. Also, have enough materials for leveling your coach. I've encountered a few sites with enough slope that I needed about 12 inches of blocks under my front tires as my personal preference is to not have the front tires airborne.

Take your time when setting up or breaking down, and using a check list can help you avoid making mistakes.....and just about all of us have made some such as pulling out with the tv antenna up! Never rush as it just isn't worth the cost.....don't ask me how I know!!!

Above all....enjoy your adventures!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:35 AM   #5

Congrats - that RV looks great inside and I can tell a lot of new upgrades are in there.

I’m new to the motor home thing as well so I can’t advise you there, but I have been trailering for many years and here are a couple of things I’ve learned with that.

One thing I can suggest without doubt is to do some very close to home short camping trips before going far. You’ll discover what you need and what needs to be changed. Being a short drive from home and/or a camping store is great during those first outings.

Also, don’t let anybody start chatting with you while you’re setting up or getting set to leave. Focus is very important during those times because getting distracted and leaving something out can be dangerous or cause damage to your rig. It’s okay to ask anyone to hold their conversation until you’re finished and then you’ll be glad to chat with them.
Traygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your roof. Anything that old the roof is shot unless someone has fastidiously maintained and recoated it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Nice to have you onboard with us.

Browse the forums and ask questions. You’ll find our members eager to help you if they can. There’s a lot of knowledge here just for the asking.

Make yourself at home and let us know what we can do to help you.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #10

Is that a Damon Day Break?
Go to the User CP (left side) Click on it
Then scroll down and click on 'Edit Signature' (settings & options)
Create a signature line with YEAR/Brand/Model of your RV
*it will then show when you post so folks don't have to ask

READ those manuals---paperwork

Crawl underneath and get the DOT year code on the tires
*4 digit number in oval ---1st 2 numbers are week/Last 2 numbers are yr
(Older then 5-7 yrs replace with NEW tires)
RV tires AGE out....NOT wear out

Fridge..........NEVER turn it ON unless RV (fridge) IS LEVEL

If possible....do some drive way camping and operate the various systems
*Hookup hose/fill fresh water tank--use pump
AC Power if available
Propane....SLOWLY Open the Service/Vapor Valve FULLY
*Then light off stove top burners on HIGH to establish flow and place LP Regulator in controlling range
Fridge/Water Heater/Furnace propane may take several attempts to light off----each has flame safety features so until full flow at each is present the flame may not ignite/stay lit

Have fun!!

New RV is Like a Scavenger Hunt......go find out what you have and how it works.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Man, that looks great.
You may not know it yet, but you just achieved one of the greatest pieces of advice that can be given in the RV world...you purchased something well loved and properly maintained. With continued care, upkeep and maintenance that will serve you well for many years to come.
OldBiscuits words are good advice, use it and familiarize yourselves with everything at home before hitting the road. Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of knowledge abounds here.
Enjoy your new rig.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:53 PM   #12

Thank you, we got lucky and the previous owners took really good care of it before we took over. I actually accidentally found the owners on this form and they was able to fill me in on some questions I had about the rv itself. My wife and are are very happy to get such a big and comfortable rig with the retro look to it. We have plans to do some more upgrades to it so you will see me on here more looking for info

Tags
tips, upgrade