Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

Lightbulb Lance, new to RV and having some trouble

Hello All,

We picked up a nice 31' Winnebago and on our second trip we broke down after filling with gas.

I have a no crank no start that I'm trying to work through. We tried jumping and no luck. I have dash lights and headlights. I try to start and it doesn't crank, no clicks, nothing.

I tried a new battery, no difference. I tested the ground from battery to frame, it's good. I removed ground from frame cleaned connections, nothing.

Does anyone have some ideas on what to try next? Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Lance
gminidvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did you try starting it in Neutral? Roll the shifter in and out of Park. Could be the Neutral safety switch. Try jumping the starter to eliminate a bad one. Just guessing here.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #3

Hi, have you tried jumping the starter solenoid it maybe the coil is bad, if that's not the problem it could be the starter itself, If both work when jumped it may be the Ignition switch. It's going to be a process of elimination and by hot wiring and jumping out each part of the system will determine where and what the problem is. Be careful doing this if your not comfortable have a mechanic check it out for you good luck.
Onebrit.
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #4

It was the starter. Thank you for your replies.
gminidvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could you take the time to update your Signature with your MH info. It will be much easier for us to help when we know exactly what you are driving
Old 10-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #6

Happy to hear you solved the problem, thanks for letting us know.
Kindest Regards
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #7

Modern starters fail in a lineal fashion. In the old days, the starters would begin to analog fail; grinding, slow engine turnover. The slow slope down to non functioning. Now they just go from 100% to zero. No warning before they crap out. If your lights work and battery/ground is good its almost always the starter. Welcome to RV Disasters 101.
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #8

Starter Problem

I had the same thing happen to me in remote Pony, MT in August. Because our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F was four years old, I assumed the batteries were probably the original; so, I drove to Bozeman on a Sunday morning and managed to buy the correct chassis battery for $168 at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I took it back to Pony and installed the new battery and that did not solve the problem. Luckily, I was able to locate a Mobile RV Tech who agreed to travel to Pony and take a look. He brought a replacement starter with him and that cured my problem. He charged me $159 for the starter and $150 for his time and travel. I was really lucky to locate someone to come to Pony to help me out.

LGC
Spadman is offline   Reply With Quote