Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Looking for advice before purchase

Hi everyone, first post. I am about to order a 2013 Jayco Seneca FS (bunkhouse model) and just wondering if anyone had tips on things to ask or watch out for with the purchase. We have been long time tent campers from backcountry to commercial campgrounds. We decided we needed something different after a bear scare during our last campout. We have 3 young kids and would like to keep them for a while, most days Have some experience with class A vehicle, and lots of experience working on cars/homes.
GuidoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc View Post
Hi everyone, first post. I am about to order a 2013 Jayco Seneca FS (bunkhouse model) and just wondering if anyone had tips on things to ask or watch out for with the purchase.
My kids bought a new Jayco 40-ft Park model and its been in shop longer than its been used-16 times for weeks at a time (in shop). Jayco is a major brand but be sure you get a good warranty and even ask about a Lemon clause in case you get a lemon.
Wife and I have a 27-ft TT and a 35-ft motorhome. We don't use the TT much anymore except for out of town guests at campsites.

Good luck
RVTraills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTraills View Post
My kids bought a new Jayco 40-ft Park model and its been in shop longer than its been used-16 times for weeks at a time (in shop). Jayco is a major brand but be sure you get a good warranty and even ask about a Lemon clause in case you get a lemon.
Wife and I have a 27-ft TT and a 35-ft motorhome. We don't use the TT much anymore except for out of town guests at campsites.

Good luck
Jayco has a 2 year warranty which was an attractive feature. This one is a class C on the cummins diesel freightliner chassis. Everything I have seen or read are encouraging about it being a quality vehicle. Sorry that your family's experience hasn't been good. My fingers are crossed as it is a big investment.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's good to have you join us! Congrats on the new rig! I'm sure you will really enjoy it. One thing I would suggest is that you have a clear understanding with the dealer that they will spend a LOT of time with you explaining the different systems BEFORE you take it off the lot. Have them to actually demonstrate each system to be sure it is working properly, not just tell you how it works. I think the dealer you buy from is just as important as the product you buy! Good luck, have fun, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

One very important thing is to do a complete and thorough PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) prior to paying the balance of the money or signing the contract. Any problems or issues make sure you get them in writing and attached to the contract so you have a record of what needs to be fixed/repaired. Don't let the dealer say we will fix it and not write it down. This or other RV forums should have one for you to use.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #6

Congrats on you new rig. The previous post were all VERY good advice. I would add this: Make sure you get manuals for all of the mechanicls in the unit..right down to the toilet and faucets. Also get a list of the model numbers that are actually in your unit as many manuals cover many different models. Acquire, fill out and send in all warranty cards. If you do find someting wrong, report it and keep a record. BTW: I video taped my 'walk around' (the PDI) with my 1st unit. About half of what they told me I later found to be incorrect. Take your time, stay focused and question anything that doesn't feel right. Everything will be fine. My Best PB
Paul & Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of pictures during the PDI walk through, but you are right that short little video clips would help for some of the procedures.

I have heard of people going to the factory during the build or picking it up at the factory, opinions on that?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of pictures during the PDI walk through, but you are right that short little video clips would help for some of the procedures.

I have heard of people going to the factory during the build or picking it up at the factory, opinions on that?

I don't believe that Jayco allows a factory pick up anymore. We were at the Entegra side of the Jayco factory a little over a month ago and it was mentioned that they no longer allow factory pick ups.

As stated earlier, make sure you and your significant other go through the rig completely and understand everything that has been said to you. The manuals are voluminous and confusing so the pre delivery inspection is critical. If you don't totally understand something, then ask. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. If you do not get a good answer to a question from the dealer's representative then ask for someone else to explain the rig to you. Many folks will actually find a campground near the dealer and make sure they know how everything works before they take their rig home.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome. Hope the purchase works out for you and the family has a great time.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase