Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #1

Lurker about to get real

Been lurking on the site for quite a while trying to study up. I have never owned an RV, but have used several and helped family members, etc.

I have a 2012 Ram 3500 with the diesel and SRW and long box. I have towed all kinds of other trailers, farm equipment etc. Also had a CDL at one point so really my questions are mostly going to be specifically about the RV's themselves. I have a B&W Turnover Ball in the bed and have towed with the truck for about six years with no issues. I also have the Companion 5th Wheel hitch (NEW VERSION). So I think I am good to go on a tow vehicle, especially for a short light trailer like we are looking at.

Wife and I have three youngsters between 8 and 12. We spend the majority of our camping and hiking time in Custer State Park in the Black Hills, but also like to hit other lakes in the hills as well as venturing to Wyoming and Minnesota for adventures and family.

Looking at a 2009 Springdale 249BHS. It is very clean and has the primary features we want. Mostly we want to be able to pay cash for our first fifth wheel. The dealership we are looking at has the trailer listed at $11,900. This seems a little steep compared to others I have seen, but the trailer also seems to be immaculate. Based on some preliminary research, I feel $9500 would be about where I would like to be. Was wondering if anyone out there has some experience with the Springdales and could maybe chip in with thoughts on extras to ask for in lieu of some price drop so that both sides can walk away feeling like they have done good business.

We rarely are out when the weather is cold so I have not been looking specifically for insulated or heated underbelly etc. Our plan is to buy low on the first one as long as it is usable and then trade up in a year or two if we find we are using as much or more than we envision. Plus all other loans except the house will be gone in two years, so that would make taking on a loan or just saving cash for the difference very easy.
Cowboy Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Sorry I can't help with the trailer issue as we are Class A motor home folks. But I am sure someone will be along with info your you.

Enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #3

Dealer price sounds wildly out of line. NADA says average retail of $7000 for that unit. It probably sold for $15K new.
If you're new at this, consider hiring an independent RV tech to look it over for wear and tear. Water damage is the kiss of death on an RV, and it can be hard to detect if you don't know what to look for. If you see water damage, run away fast. Tires might look good, but if they are more than five or six years old they are done. Google will turn up lists of things to look for, and YouTube has vids showing what to look for when doing a walk thru.

Good luck, and happy camping!
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Dealer price sounds wildly out of line. NADA says average retail of $7000 for that unit. It probably sold for $15K new.
If you're new at this, consider hiring an independent RV tech to look it over for wear and tear. Water damage is the kiss of death on an RV, and it can be hard to detect if you don't know what to look for. If you see water damage, run away fast. Tires might look good, but if they are more than five or six years old they are done. Google will turn up lists of things to look for, and YouTube has vids showing what to look for when doing a walk thru.

Good luck, and happy camping!
Thanks. I knew they were high. I have a guy that worked as a repairman, installer at an RV dealership and he is going with me to go look at it. If NADA guides only has it at $7000 then I will hopefully get them down more as long as it is in decent shape. Is there any reason a trailer like that would be holding value. I know sometimes you will get ones that people had and just never used, and this one seems incredibly clean. Many of the campground sites in our area will fit up to about 32 with no issues, but some of our favorite out of the way spots are only really set up for 25-27 ft trailers and that is part of the appeal of this one.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a towable guy so will let others more knowledgeable comment on your questions! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

Wound up buying a 2011 Fox Mountain 275BHS from Big Sky RV in Bozeman. Got it home yesterday ahead of the storms. Now temps are supposed to be below freezing the next couple of weeks, so wont be doing much with it.

Really looking forward to better weather and getting it setup for the coming camping season.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #7

http://http://www.irv2.com/forums/at...1&d=1549258260
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_161403.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	234024