Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Lurker, saying hello

My wife and I have been investigating the RV world over the last several month. Discussion at this point is purchase of a Class A (probably used) in next 5 years or so with a potential goal of extended or full time travel when I retire in about 10 years or so.

Based on what I have seen so far we are enamored of a Tiffen 36'. More than enough room, we like the floor plan and amenities. But who knows what may happen.

This is a very interesting site with lots of information. At this point I am living vicariously through You Tube and on-line blogs and the posts here.

Casper
Tiff362020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
First off. WELCOME to irv2. You will find answers to many questions you may already have and those you have not even thought of yet.

Since you pose no question here yet, I will just say that since you have several years to find 'your RV' start putting the $$$ away so when the perfect match is located, you are ready. Other than that, enjoy your reading!
W3SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club

Welcome Casper!
Lots of great people and info on this site. I lurked for almost 2 years before I joined soaking in as much knowledge as I could before I signed up.
We bought a used Class a this past June after much debate, research and looking at new and used travel trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes.
Tiffin models were right up there with Newmar for us when it came to motorhomes. Both companies build a good coach in my inexperienced opinion.
Best of luck with your planning and your search. Take your time and do your homework. You'll find the choice that works for you.

Cheers!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Casper

Glad to have you here with us.

Sounds like you're doing your homework. Good luck.

Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club

Hello Casper!

Great to have you here! Wishing you the best in your quest for your coach. Keep us all posted, and let us hear from you.

Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome, though I haven't actually introduced myself to the forum, but have posted a few replies. We are new owners of a 2006 Monaco Camelot, though we won't be picking it up until April when my DW has vacation. I thought I'd relate our experience, though you have probably read some of it elsewhere.

I was 5 years from retirement when we decided we wanted to be snowbirds when I retired, and we decided a class A was what we wanted. We searched Craig's Lisr and online sites and found a Tiffen Allegro 35TSA below NADA (they were smokers, but that's another story). We bought it from the original owner after a half hour inspection. Never drove it, no pre-purchase inspection of any sort, no nothing! We spent many weekends cleaning it and fixing minor stuff (the cheap handling fix, new shocks, etc.). We took several weekend and one week-long trip and really enjoyed it, but decided it wasn't our ultimate coach. We got lucky and sold it in the fall for a little more than we paid for it.

The best part of owning the coach was to learn what we liked and didn't like. I highly recommend you rent a class A for a week before you buy, if that's possible, to see what works for you. Until two of you actually try and use the bathroom sink at the same time, you don't really know that it just doesn't work for you. The Tiffin was a great rig, don't get me wrong, but we wanted other things.

Now for the advice- don't do what we did! We lucked out and there were no major issues with the Tiffin, but the more you spend, the more you have to be careful. While it costs money, the following are really worth it:

1) professional coach inspection- they always find more than their fee, and we walked away from two coaches as a result
2) chassis inspection- they found overheated brake rotors, exhaust gasket leaks, missed recalls- done by a freightliner dealer or other who can read the engine codes
3) CarFax- we didn't think of it until after, but found our coach had gone to auction twice...no wonder there are no manuals, and furniture and spreads were missing. Also discovered the previous owner had an extended service plan.

Do your homework, as you are since you're on this forum. Good luck!
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #10

Welcome from another former lurker

Welcome! I just signed up yesterday, so I am only one day removed from being a former lurker myself.

You post caught my attention because we too have been eyeing a Tiffin 36' (Phaeton 36GH). Thinking a gently used one, next year about this time, but that is subject to change. We're headed to FL for vacation in a couple of months and while down there we plan to visit as many RV dealers as possible and walk through as many class A's as we can handle. We've been doing this for years and it's really helped us narrow down what we like and don't like.

Best of luck with your research!
DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote