Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

My "new" home and my paraplegic dog's last hurrah

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1984 Coachmen Leprechaun. It's a 26 foot, Class C, "Mini-Motorhome". It'll be a new home for me and my two 11 year old large dogs.

The RV is kind of a lifesaver right now as I'm in a bit of a financial rut and can't afford both a vehicle and a place to live so decided to combine the two and live a motorhome. I've become very enamored of the idea of living in a motorhome. I'm excited to have what I thought was something of a nightmare (running out of funds, being evicted and having to sell all my furniture and everything of value to have some $ to live on) become an opportunity for a fresh start and some new adventures. I feel lighter and free-er (rather like my wallet ).

Seriously though, getting cash for large pieces of furniture I dreaded moving and storing was awesome. And parting with stuff I never or barely used anyway, although hard at first, became fun - especially since I was being paid for it. And what a great feeling to now be able to take everything I own and need with me. None of my stuff (excluding my dogs and the RV and its component parts) weighs more than about 30lbs. It's quite literally like having a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

As soon as I get it road ready and fixed up a bit inside, I'll be living in it full time - for at least the next 6 months - and once I can afford it, travel around a bit - paying for it by doing some freelance work online.

And for one of my dogs - a paraplegic retriever - it'll be a fantastic way for him to live out his final months (he has a progressive neurological disorder similar to ALS in humans). Since he can still swim (with a lifejacket on), I plan to head down south where the water is warm enough to swim and give him a last couple/few months of fun - frolicking about in the water and in his wheelchair on land. Coming from the Northeast where there's not much open land to run around in his wheelchair and it's far too cold most of the year for him to swim outside, being able to travel about to have exciting new outdoor adventures will be the perfect way to live out his remaining couple of months. And his able-bodied, Rottweiler "sister" will have a blast too.

I'm looking forward to meeting other RVers on here and hopefully learning about both how to deal with mechanical/practical issues and about motorhome living lifestyle topics.

Thanks
nathrabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi nathrabeast, I'm happy for you and your two little buddies. Congratulations on finding a new way to live I bet you'll enjoy it so will your buddies. Take care drive safe and you'll be oK
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote