Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
IMHO you need to "row your own boat", not hire someone else to do it for you. The reason I say this is because buying/owning an RV is a very personal thing. The options on RV's is essentially endless as to floor plans, chassis, engines, appliances, quality of construction, etc, etc.
You'd be best served to learn about Class A's by visiting dealers, talking to owners in campgrounds, reading the rv forums, reading topics in rv magazines, talking to friends that own rv's. You'll also want to start checking out rv's for sale on the internet sites to get a feeling on what class A's are selling for and what you can get in your price range.
Yes, it'll take some time and effort but there really is no other way to learn about rv's in general and be able to hone-in on exactly which models/years rv you're really interested in owning. In the end, you'll get out of this effort exactly what effort you're willing to put into it.
I think you simply need to GET TO WORK!
Thanks again. I've noticed that the fifteen or so RVs I've looked at all seem to have fairly similar floor plans. Does this jive with what you know? There's the entrance with the drivers area to the right, and directly in front or to the left a "living room" with a booth and a couch along the side, all of which is usually adjacent to or across from the kitchen area, with the sleeping area toward the rear. I thought this was a fairly standard plan. Am I incorrect on this?

One thing I'm really interested in is quality of construction, but I'm wondering if I'll get the straight scoop from folks interested in selling me their RV. Any information would be appreciated.

Michael
1world is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Hi Micheal, welcome to the forum. I agree with Schleder advice. Do you have water, electric and sewer set up in you yard to hook-up to and are there any ordinances/home owner covenents that you'll have problems with in your intended arraingment?
Given the RVs I see around my neighborhood, I imagine I'm OK in respect to convenants/ordinances. But I'll check that out before I buy.

I'll have water and electric from my house. I'm wondering how difficult and expensive it would be to have installed a direct pipe from an RV to my sewer. Otherwise, I'd have to go the other route which people do when they are on the road.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Before proceeding too far check your city ordinances to see if they have one prohibiting living in an RV in a private yard. Our city does.

Good Luck,
Jon
Thanks, Jon. That's something important to check out. Dunno, I'd think one ought to be able to do what one wants on one's own property as long as it doesn't adversely affect others, but then again, that notion might be naive, and I might not be aware of all the considerations. I live in a modest working-class neighborhood with no fancy houses. But maybe the issue is LIVING in the RV, as opposed to merely parking it on one's property, which I see a lot of.

Maybe I'll walk around the 'hood and inquire tonight.

Michael
Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1world View Post
Given the RVs I see around my neighborhood, I imagine I'm OK in respect to convenants/ordinances. But I'll check that out before I buy.
Thanks!

"Storing" and "Living in" an RV in a residential area are often two different things. Be very sure that living in an RV is approved at your location. If the building department says it's acceptable, I would get it in writing or at least get a copy of the local codes showing that it is indeed legal.

Don't assume that this is a minor point. In some areas of NY, for example, the fines for living in a building without a certificate of occupancy can run as high as one thousand dollars.

Also, note that the insurance cost for your residence will usually be higher as a rental. It would be smart to check with your agent.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
"Storing" and "Living in" an RV in a residential area are often two different things. Be very sure that living in an RV is approved at your location. If the building department says it's acceptable, I would get it in writing or at least get a copy of the local codes showing that it is indeed legal.

Don't assume that this is a minor point. In some areas of NY, for example, the fines for living in a building without a certificate of occupancy can run as high as one thousand dollars.

Also, note that the insurance cost for your residence will usually be higher as a rental. It would be smart to check with your agent.
Thanks. Good thoughts. I can see I've got some homework to do before I buy.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #20

Michael-I believe your correct on the floor plans being very similar on the older motorhomes. Pretty consistent with minor trim or bathroom size/location. Newer motorhomes with sides will have many more options/differences so the layout issue is probably not a big deal for you. The quality level of the trim, furnishings, appliances will/can, however, be quite different even on the older units based on the price level of a coach when it was new.
I sure agree with some of the posts above about being sure your plan to live on your property in an rv while renting your home is allowed in your neighborhood before you make an investment in a rv. Good luck, hope it works for you!!!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Michael! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the group! You've gotten some good advice already so I won't add anything. Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote