Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
I posted this earlier on IRV2: Being a total newbie, I learned what a wealth of needed information can be gleaned from all the forums. Never in my minds eye did I realize what I got myself into buying our Pleasure-Way Excel. We bought it 1 July 2010 after two looks of about 15 minutes each and no prior thinking except talking to a owner and her 4 year old that were fulltimers. Since then have made three trips (Branson, Indianapolis, and Tupper Lake, NY). I have yet to turn on the propane, furnace or use the grey or black tanks. There was and still is so much to learn about the systems that at first I was completely overwhelmed even though in our b&s I had handled all the above systems with confidence. We are pleased with the unit which is in pristine condition and hope to make a trip to Seaview, WA in the spring and who knows where in the future.

There are tutorials for nearly every item in your mh and experts everywhere. I belong to RV.NET, IRV2, Funtime Families, RV Basics and a number of others. Just take it one item at a time and soon you will be giving advice as an experienced RV'er.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have made a great move - Don't Despare

OK here is my slant on things. A few years ago my DW and I purchased an older, but well kept TT. It needed to be upgraded a bit, and to be honest I had fun doing some upgrades and decorating. We went for a few low milage trips and then said WOW is ever relaxing. But we still didn't know Jack about trailering. I talked to people at the camp ground and everone was a big help. We met a couple from New Hampshire who had been in the same predicament an year earlier. They suggested that I go on line and search out RV Education 101. What a great help this was. Check it out and I am sure you will be impressed. By the way we fell in love with RV travel and my wife convinced me we should have a new unit. She is high maintenance, but I think I'll keep her. If she keeps spending my money, you might find her left behind, and wandering around an RV park, wondering where the RV went. LOL
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are anywhere near Richmond VA....

If you are anywhere near my neck of the woods, or in the coastal NC/SC area, where I am heading for a few days away to clear my head, then I'll offer to come by to help, learn and figure out with you.

Always looking for a challenge (and being a young retired guy, have way too much time on my hands. Ask my wife.)

If you are anywhere near, drop me a PM or email at:
jryan0505@msn.com

Don't be discouraged!
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy oldguyrich,
Hang in there, bro!! We pulled the same thing last year, not as old but no-
nuthin', got a 1998 model in 'good' condition(we could afford it & live with it)from an individual who knew-nuthin', but it did have a set of manuals with it..
I had looked at older models , but am in a wheelchair and was scared of upkeep and breakdowns.. Could have saved a lot of $$$ !! After getting it I
hit a covenience store pump bollard(pump protector) and did $2K worth of damage.. On the first trip we hooked up the CG water, electric and went to
supper.. We came back to a FLOOD coming out of the bedroom!!! I went
into panic mode; Joyce went into CLEAN-UP mode and worked until 2:30am
getting most of it dried out.. That has been our only trip, as I had health problems soon after we got home.. We don't know how, BUT WE'RE NOT GIVING UP!!! There is a Corps of Engineer park across the highway from our
ranch and we'll get there one of these days!!! You will enjoy your P-A, as it
is a well built one and has lasted all of this time. Sure hope to meet y'all somewhere someday..
Smooth roads & balmy breezes!!!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #33

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan
If you are anywhere near my neck of the woods, or in the coastal NC/SC area, where I am heading for a few days away to clear my head, then I'll offer to come by to help, learn and figure out with you.

Always looking for a challenge (and being a young retired guy, have way too much time on my hands. Ask my wife.)

If you are anywhere near, drop me a PM or email at:
jryan0505@msn.com

Don't be discouraged!
jack
Same goes here! If your near Ft Riley Kansas let me know and I'll come help
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
From one newbie to another... hang in there! Check your local library or amazon.com for RV books... also use this site... ask members questions and be ready - cuz they will rally to help ya out.
Webetravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks to all of you

Man, when i posted my original rant, i kinda thought i was standing on my back porch in the dark- hollering where no one would hear me....I was wrong.. My wife comes from a RV family, and they always told me "It's the people out there that make it great.." Well, i now believe them...
However, i am getting no sleep at all now. There is so much info here on this site, that i am up all night reading and taking notes.. now if the snow would melt, and it would get above -10, we are ready to hit the road. Thanks again.
oldguyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Lottsa people, lotsa help...

Like the Pace Arrow, cute girl in front come with it?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguyrich View Post
Man, when i posted my original rant, i kinda thought i was standing on my back porch in the dark- hollering where no one would hear me....I was wrong.. My wife comes from a RV family, and they always told me "It's the people out there that make it great.." Well, i now believe them...
However, i am getting no sleep at all now. There is so much info here on this site, that i am up all night reading and taking notes.. now if the snow would melt, and it would get above -10, we are ready to hit the road. Thanks again.
Here is a little about my story which started about 5 months ago. After taking delivery of my trailer I was overwhelmed and felt helpless. Temporary I moved the trailer to an inside storage place that was willing to hitch up the trailer and unhitch it for me. That alone took the pressure off and I started moving forward one step at a time. At times I'm still a little helpless but I no longer feel overwhelmed. I have moved back to my original storage space but now I am able to hitch up on my own when need be.

I didn't even use the shower or oven until trip #4 and it wasn't until trip #5 that I even attempted connecting the TV or opening & closing the awning. And I make it a point to avoid backing into a site or stopping at a gas station to fill up. Some day I will master those tasks but it does not have to be today. Right now I'm keeping it simple and I am enjoying my trailer. BTW - I'm good with the shower, oven & TV but the awning is still a work in progress. Hopefully next time I will be able to close it without any problem.

You are right about all the great help here on this site!

Good luck and take care.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
but the awning is still a work in progress.
And always will be, in my experience
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

but the awning is still a work in progress. Hopefully next time I will be able to close it without any problem.

You are right about all the great help here on this site!

Good luck and take care.
Just when I got mine working real good a big nasty gust of wind came and ripped it off the MH.
I fixed it and never put it back on. One day....
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hi. My wife and I just got a 1983 Pace Arrow, and know nothing about it... can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about it either...We are brand new at this, and thinking maybe we maybe should have stayed with tents...

Do it the same way I did with my first MH, which was two years ago, read, read , read..... search the topics and read more, I have learned so much just from reading in every area of IRV2 and keep learning everyday from the people that post here.......... you can learn so much here.
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OldguyRich - If you haven't already, sign up with Coach Net

NMC | Roadside Assistance

or Good Sam Road Service:

RV Towing - Emergency Towing - Good Sam Emergency Road Service

Worth its wait in Gold if you're stuck away from home. Especially Coach Net, they have 24/7 RV technicians on call.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
no, it wasn't given to us...we paid hard earned money for it. .. (my wife is standing behind me slapping me on the head...
I like her!

You can guess by our tag that wifey and I are in the same boat. From late November, we've managed to rack up 3,000 miles and more than a dozen overnight stays. Our temperatures have ranged from 16 below zero (31 if you count the wind) to 80F.

It's been a heck of a ride; but, we stuck through it together and now have an odd kinship with the rig.

I like the suggestions of doing some practice overnighting close to home: I mean, like, within walking distance, if possible.

If you haven't already noticed, by the way, this is the ultimate couples therapy: these people are tighter as pairs than any you'll see, outside of the Siamese Twins support groups.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote