Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #1

New guy from Ontario, Canada

My wife and I traded the fifth wheel for a 2008 Discovery 40X while in Florida and are looking at full timing for awhile. I am having a problem with electric jacks and everyone is passing off responsibility. A rv mechanic in Florida said he believed there was a recall on them. I seem to have different rubber boots than should have and at least two jacks are corroded, anyone out there know about these jacks.
redbill1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #2

Can't help with your problem, but someone will pipe in. Welcome to the forum
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on the new coach...what kind of jacks are they? HWH is what I have, and from what I hear, their customer service is second to none, so I doubt that's what you have...
Regardless, welcome to the forums!!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Welcome

WELCOME greetings from the Westcoast
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, redbill1234:

Hi from Tampa/St. Pete. So.....have ya found out what brand of jacks you have on that 08 Discovery? We gotta know in order to offer help suggestions...eh? Let us all know.

Wife and I are out of Duluth, Minnesota originally, but have been on the road full time since retiring in 05. Used to spend alot of time in Ontario just North of Minnesota primarily in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

Steve & Lynette
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #6

Jacks

They are Power Gear electric. I bought the coach at Lazydays, they said problem was in controller, but we spent 3 months in Brooksville, FLa and the day we went to leave, one would not retract, and I had to get mobile rv guy. The factory walked him thru a series of steps and it was found the jack brake was corroded and jammed, also the other on that side is also. Lazydays would not look at it before next week and we had to vacate US by April 1. Very poor design that the rubber boots can get full of water. Lazydays also did not preform a recall on a battery cable and now I'm stuck to have it fixed in Ontario before I can clear it with Transport Canada. Not a very good start to our RVing life, especially with a 3 year old, 13500 mile machine.
redbill1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The motor will turn without the motor brake on it, I turned mine by hand after removing the brake but it would take ALOT of vibration from driving for the jack to move even an inch.
Here is some info I posted on another forum that should be helpful to you.

Things to watch out for, If I remember correctly to reset the panel hold down all 4 buttons for 5 seconds and it should blink and then it should be reset BUT beware if you reset and then hit retract all jacks again when the jacks are already up you can break the sheer pins. After the reset try to manually lower the jack that is in fault, if it does not go down then go to that jack with a phillips screw driver, remove the rubber boot and you will see 2 levers, pinch them together, this releases the motor brake, if they do not want to pinch together ( and even if they do) look at the 4 phillips head screws that hold the brake assembly to the motor, remove them, the motor brake should now come off and only connected by 2 wires. On the top side of the motor brake you just removed there are 4 more phillips screws, remove them and carefully remove the cover and the brake plate and if you see water or rust in there clean it out and try to manually operate the pinch brake lever again that you removed with the first 4 screws and that should free up everything then with your hand turn the motor shaft that goes into the motor brake and make sure it rotates freely. I know this sounds complicated but I was surprised at how ridiculously simple the motor brake assembly really is. I bought 2 extra brake assemblies but after cleaning mine which had water / rust in it now it has been working fine. One thing that is a must do if you want these jacks to work flawlessly is silicone seal all the rubber boots where they meet the motor, I am sure the jack you are having a problem with is one of the rear jacks, that is because they are directly behind the inner rear wheel and the mud/splash guard ends before the jack so it gets all the road water thrown on it so most likely you will find some water in the rubber boot.
Good luck
Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig. Many happy and safe miles.

PS-Welcome to the forum.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote