Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #1

New Guy with lots of questions

My wife and I are ready to buy a motor home and hit the road but not sure how to start. We are retired, Army Aviator, and have always wanted to tour the country. I have done lots of research but can't make up my mind. I live in Alabama and have toured the Tiffin factory so that is what I want to buy. The age old questions, old vs new, gas vs diesel, class c vs a. Have looked at the Allegro RED, Allegro and the wayfarer. Hoping we love it and want to travel a lot. No real ties to home. Wanted the Red pusher but the cost is really up there. Allegro seems to be a good compromise. Have a friend that sold RVs and said go bigger than you think. Having read the forums there are a lot of genuine good thoughts being shared. All inputs will be appreciated. Lots of anxiety as we head for this big step.
okbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hi & welcome to iRV2. We're glad to have you.

Spend some time reading the forums, especially the Tiffin Owners section since you've zeroed in on that make. For the most part, the general questions you are thinking about have already been asked & answered. The powered by Google Search works pretty well. There's also this one, for specific forums:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/would...ad-310496.html

If you don't find answers, just post your questions in the section you think would best get you answers. We've got lots of experienced/knowledgeable members here. Take advantage of their expertise.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WELCOME!!

The folks here are awesome!! I came here as a newbie and everyone was SO good about answering my questions and helping me out with my learning curve. You've come to the right place!

In addition to all the great advice Lori just gave, go out to YouTube as well. I know of a couple, both are retired NAVY, who have the RED. They are You, Me & the RV.

Another one I like is RV Odd Couple. They are 90-days in and are very honest as to things that worked and didn't.

There are, of course-tons- more, but these might help.

Again, WELCOME!
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

First, it's very unlikely you will decide that you bought a rig too large for your needs, but on the other hand, it's very likely you may decide you didn't buy big enough.

If you will do a lot of traveling I would definitely go for a diesel pusher.

If a new DP is stretching the budget, then find one a few years old. You can get a higher-end rig for the same money as you would spend on a new entry-level coach.

Poke around the Owner's forums here and ask LOT's of questions.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

thanks, I can get a Red 33AA at 25% of sticker from the local Tiffin dealer. I found a year old same MH 11K miles for just 6K less. Not much of a savings. The first year financial hit is large from what I understand. 25% seems pretty good. May have to search a 2016 or 2017 year.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. We have a 2018 RED 37PA and love, love it. We are in it basically full time. There are 3 dealers in the Tiffin area where you should get 28% or so off MSRP. These are Davis in Memphis, Ingram in Montgomery AL and Sherman in Sherman MS which is were we bought ours.
Because of savings here I am not surprised that the used coach is almost the same as new.
Good luck with the decision. Let me know if you want any other info on the RED
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome aboard!

I lurked and browsed for years while renting and shopping to buy. Excellent resources and people available on this site.

You will find enthusiasts for every variant of the RV lifestyle and every price point.

Since the 2020 model year is about to come out, you should be able to get a fair bit more than 25% off on a new 2019.

“Army Aviator” - fixed wing or rotorcraft or both? Warrant officer or commissioned? (Not biased, just getting to know each other.) Did you continue to fly after you separated from the service?
Old 03-26-2019, 06:39 AM   #8

Warrant officer, FW and rotary. 22 years active duty and 20 years Dept. Army aviator.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:41 AM   #9

what is a realistic expectation of discount from dealers on a used Tiffin?