Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2005, 07:56 AM   #1

Hello,
I am a new member here. I was given an old camper 2 years ago and would like to fix it up. We tore down our old house and put up a new one and I had advertised for an old camper so we would have something to live in while the new house was put up. A man called and told me I could have the camper he had for free so we picked it up.
It is a 1966 Concord Traveler the inside is not in that bad of shape it does need some work and I plan on gutting the inside next year. I want to paint the outside because someone painted the entire camper a hideous brown I mean it is really ugly!
I did a search trying to find a picture of a concord traveler camper but could not find any I wanted to see what colors the camper may have been but I was unable to find a picture of one.
I am not sure what color to paint it but I hope if I try to remove some of the brown paint I will be able to see what color the camper use to be since I want to try to get it close to the color it once was Who ever painted it painted the lights and everything so hopefully when I remove the lights maybe I will get lucky and there will be a spot of original paint and then I can try to find some paint close to the original color.
I am going to remover the furnace and stove since the furnace won't work and the stove leaks gas I also need to replace the toilet and want to figure out a way to make the small bathroom into a shower/toilet combo but not sure if that is possible.
I also want to put a small water heater in it and get rid of the water tank and hook directly into a water supply but not sure about that either since I know nothing about water pressure so I figured I would join a group on vintage campers and hopefully get some advice.
I can't work on the camper now because I have a couple dogs that are living in it until my husband puts up a kennel for them they can't be in the house as both eat electric cords and one was electrocuted and almost died and required extensive surgery so I had to put them out there for their own safety but once we have a nice heated kennel for them then I can gut the inside of the camper and hopefully get it close to what it use to look like.
I am located in Northern Indiana in fact I was born in the town that made this camper and there is an RV parts and salvage center there to that sells parts for vintage campers so at least I can get some of the things I need one being a new door as the door is in bad shape the glass keeps falling out and the door knob broke so I will have to pay the $150.00 for a new door.
I know my camper is going to look nice once I get it all fixed up and can't wait until I can get started on restoreing it.
Pamm
Pamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2005, 07:56 AM   #2

Hello,
I am a new member here. I was given an old camper 2 years ago and would like to fix it up. We tore down our old house and put up a new one and I had advertised for an old camper so we would have something to live in while the new house was put up. A man called and told me I could have the camper he had for free so we picked it up.
It is a 1966 Concord Traveler the inside is not in that bad of shape it does need some work and I plan on gutting the inside next year. I want to paint the outside because someone painted the entire camper a hideous brown I mean it is really ugly!
I did a search trying to find a picture of a concord traveler camper but could not find any I wanted to see what colors the camper may have been but I was unable to find a picture of one.
I am not sure what color to paint it but I hope if I try to remove some of the brown paint I will be able to see what color the camper use to be since I want to try to get it close to the color it once was Who ever painted it painted the lights and everything so hopefully when I remove the lights maybe I will get lucky and there will be a spot of original paint and then I can try to find some paint close to the original color.
I am going to remover the furnace and stove since the furnace won't work and the stove leaks gas I also need to replace the toilet and want to figure out a way to make the small bathroom into a shower/toilet combo but not sure if that is possible.
I also want to put a small water heater in it and get rid of the water tank and hook directly into a water supply but not sure about that either since I know nothing about water pressure so I figured I would join a group on vintage campers and hopefully get some advice.
I can't work on the camper now because I have a couple dogs that are living in it until my husband puts up a kennel for them they can't be in the house as both eat electric cords and one was electrocuted and almost died and required extensive surgery so I had to put them out there for their own safety but once we have a nice heated kennel for them then I can gut the inside of the camper and hopefully get it close to what it use to look like.
I am located in Northern Indiana in fact I was born in the town that made this camper and there is an RV parts and salvage center there to that sells parts for vintage campers so at least I can get some of the things I need one being a new door as the door is in bad shape the glass keeps falling out and the door knob broke so I will have to pay the $150.00 for a new door.
I know my camper is going to look nice once I get it all fixed up and can't wait until I can get started on restoreing it.
Pamm
Old 08-20-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Pamm, welcome to iRV2. We are glad you found us and we look forward to hearing of you restoration of the camper. It sounds like you are on the right path. You might check to see if they used a latex paint you might be able to use a mild solvent and just remove it, then you may not have to paint it after all. Good luck and enjoy!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am not sure of the type of paint but will try your suggestion. My electric supply cord is not in the best shape so as long as the walls will be out of the camper I will rewire it to since they no longer make that type of electric plug. I want to find some kind of electric heater for it so that would draw more power so it is best to upgrade the electric to I am sure it won't be that hard since the camper is small.
I would like to add a shower to it but not sure if that is possible. I remember years ago my grandparents in Florida had a friend who lived in a small trailer and you could sit on the toilet and shower all at the same time so if there is a way to put a shower in it I am sure I will figure it out.
My husband wants to buy an airstream someday so we can go to a warmer climate in the winter I have no how he expects to pay for one *lol*
I hope once I get my camper done we can find a small lot on a lake to rent I have 2 sons they both love to fish so it would be a place to go and fish and swim or just relax in the summer with their families.
We lived in the camper for 6 months while we were having a new house put up for 4 of those 6 months we had no electric or running water. We used oil lamps and I could cook on the stove but their is a gas leak from one of the knobs so we always had to turn off the gas when done cooking. I had to tote water in from work in gallon jugs the furnace did not work so we had to use a kerosene heater which made it so hot in the camper we had to keep the windows open *lol*
It was like camping for an extended period of time but it was still fun. I also had our 4 cats and 5 dogs in the camper with us lucky for my husbane he is an over the road truck driver so he did not have to stay in the camper as much as I did.
I will try to take some pictures of it when I get some time and as I do things to it.
Pamm