Hi everybody! I'm about to embark on an indefinite road trip with a newly aquired 1977 Dodge Vogue. Being nearly clueless about everything mechanical and knowing very little about RV's I'm hoping I can glean some useful information about maintaining and repairing and operating!
The good news:
- Everything (with a possible exception being the refrigerator which the owner tells me he was told it works and everything else worked)
- All the original appliances owner's manuals came with it.
- the engine (440 V-8), according to the seller who I felt I could trust, was rebuilt ten thousand miles ago. It runs and handles excellent.
- It cost $3500
- All the appliances are manufactured by either dometic or coleman so part numbers and serial numbers shouldn't be a problem
- Relatively easy to work on (not for me but for my unsuspecting mechanically inclined friends and shade tree mechanics)
The not-so-good news:
- the one missing manual is for the coach itself, and unfortunately the company no longer exists!
- I'm very inexperienced when it comes to the RV lifestyle.
- mileage - haven't tested it and the owner doesn't know and said probably 10-15 MPG but conceded probably closer to 10. One of the existing problems is that the speedometer isn't working, which was the excuse for not knowing what the MPG or total miles on the vehicle were.
Overall I'm pretty excited but also somewhat nervous about my upcoming adventure. My work not only allows me to travel, but travel is useful in optimizing income and working conditions -- I'm a professional poker player.
So..... I have questions but I feel like this new member info post may already be too long! Any words of encouragement, tips, warnings etc. would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to sharing the ups and downs of full-timing!