Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #1

Red face New Member check in

My wife and I honeymooned in a tent 23 years ago. After a night of thunderheads @ Inks Lake State Park, we upgraded to a small pop-up. After I retired from the State, I joined my wife and started to work at the local school district. We started rving durring the summers, for the past ten years. After a three day rain @ Bay St. Louis, we upgraded to a Nash 22M. That was four years ago. We are taking off from traveling for three summers, as my wife went back to get her Masters. We are planning to get our retirement rig in the next two years, basically a nice class C. We will pull her VW Beetle convertible.

So, we will be looking at the class C, and the tow option for the bug. We hope to get some insight as to the manufacture winner for the class C, and information on a dolly or a car trailer for the bug.

We have learned to pack light, so the two different types of class cs would be an option, IE the Aspect/Access differences as an example.

thanks,
HB
nancydrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. May you enjoy it in good health.

I've been watching a lot of threads like your with regards to Class C or Class A rigs for retirement. It does seem as though you've put enough though behind your decision so you're probably ok with it. However, it seems as though the majority of retirees that started out in a C, soon became painfully aware that it was just too small for every day living, then went and traded up. This can be expensive so be sure you only buy once.

Happy RV'ing
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

Hello Nancydrew1.

I am also a new member. I would like to tell you on our past class C's. Bought first new one in 1980, 2nd in 1992, third a 2006 Winnebago Outlook 29ft with 2 slides.
Wife and I have always loved having the class C because of the 2 cab doors, easy and quick to get in and out. We either pull a 4X4 Chevy PU or a Saturn or 19' IO boat or covered snowmobile trailer. As you see we keep the MH for a long time.
Hope this helps.
PL
michrv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

HB Welcome to the forum and ditto to PL. You will find lots of Pros and Cons for either A or C. Just keep hangin out and asking questions.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #5

Just be careful of long-body rigs on short wheelbase chassis. We were looking at Class C's two years ago and most of them scared me. Very long overhang, serious payloaad distribution issues (overloading the rear axle) and big side-loads on the chassis frame from towing (toad moving sideways in turns).

We went Class A in the end.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad you joined us and hope all your retirement plans and travel turn out to be just great. Plenty of great people here so if you should to run into a problem or so just ask some questions and sure you'll get any situation resolved. Hope you enjoy the Holidays, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello and Welcome! We started with a Class C, after a couple years we retired and went fulltime. Whew! Even tho we got down to the bare necessities, we were crowded. After 7 month we traded for a Class A and I feel like I am in a Mansion...lol So much room and storage, I actually have a couple empty cupboards which I am sure I will fill up at some point. It might be a good idea to at least check out the Class A's and compare. Good luck and enjoy your travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy HB and welcome. (Your nic threw me off for a minute; I assumed you were female, lol.) Anyhow, I digress. Sounds like you have plenty of time to do your homework and check out plenty of motor homes. We started out looking at Class C rigs, but ended up buying a Class A (Fleetwood Bounder) for the floorplan. Take your time and figure out what features are most important to you, 'cause it seems that none of them will have everything you want!!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We miss those Class C doors, but not the lack of room and carrying capacity of our A. Agree with the posts regarding that overhang issue. Shop carefully, get what feels right for you and travel safe.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi HB! Welcome to IRV2! Sure glad you joined us! Honymoon in a tent? NO WAY! Everyone to his own! Good luck on finding just the right "C". Hope your plans for retirement work out just the way you want. Merry Chirstmas & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello and nice to see you joined this Forum, We think its the best one thats out their.
It seems like ones you get on the forum its hard to get off, You just start surfing the hole forum. Well good luck and have a Merry Christmas.

Duane & Janice.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome HB. Where did y'all stay at Bay St Louis?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #13

New the rv thing and about to go through my first winter.....any advice?
Danny Beck is offline   Reply With Quote