Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

New member from California

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself and to let everyone know a little about myself.

First, I am not an RV owner yet but will be shortly (hopefully). I am currently looking to sell my home and move but I don't know where yet.

So, I got the idea that after my home sells I would get a nice used Class A and take some time, maybe a month or two, and check out a few spots around the country that are on my list of possible relocation spots. There are also some places I wanted to visit.

While doing lots of research I often found a lot of questions I had and information I was looking for here so after just being a bystander I decided to join to learn more, ask some questions as they come to mind and hopefully contribute in any way I can.

This community seems like there are a lot of great members here that are always willing to share information and opinions and that is another part of why I joined.

On a personal note, I have been divorced for many years, all of my children are grown up and live in other places around the country and I work online. This makes it easy for me to take my excursion after my home sells while looking for my new location.

I am always easy to get along with and always like to help others whenever possible.

Feel free to say hi and if you have any questions then fire away!

Cheers
ulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

We're always happy to have new faces around and glad you joined us.

You'll find this forum is filled with lots of great members willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.

Just let us know how we can help you.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good luck in your search. Been RVing for almost 30 years and in my 8th motorhome. We have enjoyed our travels through the continent.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard!

Have you ever used an RV and do you plan to pull a toad?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post

We're always happy to have new faces around and glad you joined us.

You'll find this forum is filled with lots of great members willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.

Just let us know how we can help you.
Thank you.

I have been around many forums and even ran some and I can tell by a lot of the posts that this forum has lots of great members. That is one of the main reasons that I joined. That and the abundance of helpful information and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
Good luck in your search. Been RVing for almost 30 years and in my 8th motorhome. We have enjoyed our travels through the continent.
Thank you.

Wow 8 motorhomes, that's impressive. Is there a particular make/brand that is your favorite?
Old 10-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Welcome aboard!

Have you ever used an RV and do you plan to pull a toad?
Thank you.

I have only driven a couple class c's that were friends and only for the day many years ago (1990's).

Yes I was planning on pulling a toad but not sure on what it will be yet. Probably just something on the smaller side to run quick errands at stops along my journey.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas or diesel would be the next question and what is your budget?
Old 10-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wecome aboard! Don't hesitate to ask anything you want answers to. There are no dumb questions. Someone here either knows the answers or where to find them.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Gas or diesel would be the next question and what is your budget?
Gas probably.

Actually, the second class A I really was looking into learning more about was something like your La Palma.

I searched for class a motorhomes in the Facebook marketplace one night I was up late and there was a real nice looking La Palma there that caught my eye.

After that I started looking around at those and trying to learn more about them. I was looking at class a's that are similar in size and specs. The HR Vacationers were mentioned here in a post so I was looking at those as well.

I am not sure on the budget part yet. More than likely in the $30k-$60k range, which is why I am looking at used.

I am looking to sell my home and vacant lot I own then eventually find a piece of land to build a home on.

I may live in my rig (future) while I build the house since it will probably be just me there. Then maybe keep or upgrade to a new rig if needed after my home is finished.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Wecome aboard! Don't hesitate to ask anything you want answers to. There are no dumb questions. Someone here either knows the answers or where to find them.
Thank you.

I will be asking lots of questions more than likely, especially since I know very little about a lot of things I am researching about a future class a I will be buying.

I have been reading a lot of different topics here and there is usually something in them that triggers me to look at all kinds of things I didn't even think to check into.

This forum is a great source of good information and help.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If my 2004 La Palma disappeared overnight I would go out and find another 2004 La Palma just like it. It's been good for 96,000 miles other than exhaust headers, dirty MAF and a rear axle seal.

We track our daily average cost when we are out for a month or two. It averages $100 a day including gas, food, RV park, etc.

Be careful you don't sell your house before you buy an RV. The housing market is very hot in our area...Fresno, California..and houses usually sell very fast.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
1st!!! Welcome to our campfire..Pull up a stump and sit a spell..
When looking for a size/type/layout of future RV purchase...KNOW YOUR BUDGET!!
An RV of any type.. IS NOT an investment..it is however an expense..
I Strongly suggest that you do not use the proceeds from your home sale to buy the RV.. Bank/invest the proceeds and let it grow.. that way you will have the funds needed to return to a Sticks & Bricks environment when done traveling..

and consider this..

1st.. View the "tag" lines at the bottom of the responding posters..
To give you an Idea of where they are coming from and the equipment they have.

Keep in mind..
You Do Not Know......What You Do Not Know..

Your 1st coach is simply a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted, then shuck your shoes and do a dry run in the shower, sit on the throne (AND Close the door!), lay on the bed,study the galley(enough counter room/pantry space/pots & pans storage?) Do You have access to all these with slide retracted???
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,the kids driveway,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
IF the perspective coach seems a bit small but still "DO-Able" .......REMEMBER!!!
What seemed small... becomes unbearably TINY after being Coop'd up" for a week or more due to weather...
(AKA.....Cabin Fever)
A coach that is "Too Big" lasts for a week or two..One "Too Small" lasts forever.
Go for the biggest fresh.black.gray tanks You can find.
And.... You WILL make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....
Within a year or less, you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you really want to jump into a Class A, by all means do so. But if you might want to be a bit cautious and work up to one, consider starting with a Class C.

You don't have to buy a brand new one if you want to watch your money. We bought one that came from an RV rental company. Of course its very easy to imagine a potential nightmare in that scenario, the company we bought from has an excellent reputation and we got an exceptionally good 2 1/2 year old Minnie Winnie. If this interests you, you can look through my posts starting a couple years ago where I posted the details of our experience. Or I can send you a PM if you'd rather.

We're extremely happy with our Class C and are not considering upgrading to an A. You might find a C just right for you, or it could be a stepping stone to your own Class A. One good thing about buying a used C is that the depreciation isn't as much a factor than if you got a brand new one.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, new member