Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 04:44 PM   #1

New Member from PNW

Hi everyone,

Just joining the form today, no RV yet. We only recently just started looking around and reading the forums try and get an idea of what we might want in an RV. This will be our first one.

We hope to retire in about four years, maybe five. We’re not exactly sure where we want to retire but we know we wanna retire out of state somewhere. We have a few ideas but haven’t spent enough time in each of the areas that we like to know for sure. Our plan is upon retirement to sell the house and get an RV and spend a year or so traveling around the country seeing the sights and also spend some time in the places we think we might wanna retire to see if we actually like the area.

In the meantime we thought it might be a good idea to get an RV and spend some time getting used to driving them, figure out what we like and don’t like, etc. We know we want to class A, we know we want diesel but beyond that we’re still a little bit open. We have a 32 foot boat that has many of the same systems that a motorhome does so no real concerns there, we’re pretty familiar with all that. Of course we want used with the plan of trading it in our retirement time for something a little bit newer. We’ve looked at a number of different motorhomes already and came across a 2004 national Tropicale that needs a pretty deep cleaning but beyond that appears to be in pretty good shape. No water intrusion, at least none that I’ve seen, etc.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about the national that I’ll post in the general forum.
O1dSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Get out there and kick some tires!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:53 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. There is a wealth of RV info available to you here just by asking. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions as our members like to help when they can.

Post often and share your search for the right RV with us for your upcoming retirement & travels. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:04 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! Good to have you here and I look forward to reading about your adventures!
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #5

PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #6

Thanks everyone, glad to be here.

We're still looking around, but I think we have landed on what we want as far as gas or diesel, A or C, etc. and have subsequently found a few we like. One or two are local but others are some distance away and would require flights to go see and multiple days drive to bring it home which I am not sure how desirable that is. The concern of course is investing the time and money only to get there and find out it's not quite what was represented.

What the wife and I are still at odds over is our purchasing philosophy for lack of better terms. Neither of us want something that is a project, I already have a project boat. So, we are in agreement on the no project part. That said, she wants something we could just drive off the lot and go on a trip with and is happy to finance where I prefer something I can purchase outright (particularly since this is our first RV), then invest a few dollars to polish it up and upgrade whatever needs upgrading, etc. Mind you by "polish and upgrade" I do not mean "fix". :-) In other words, she wants clean and shiny, and I tend to lean towards "diamond in the rough".

What brought me here is the National RV group. There is a '04 Tropical T370 that I like, it is a bit older than I would prefer and needs a fair amount of TLC, but it "speaks to me" for some reason. :-)

Anyway, we'll figure it all out I'm sure and I will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #7

Cool

If you are looking for a "get in and just go" motorhome, goof luck. Just like a boat motorhomes will always need a bit of attention between trips. 2004 is in the Legacy years before the 2008 recession so they have better build quality than many newer motorhomes. I have been going to local RV shows here in Salt Lake City since the 1990 era and recall the Tropical motorhomes had innovative floorplans and looked well built. I bought a Beaver Thunder last winter and am going through a comprehensive repair of little items that have issues. Fortunately the Cat C13 and allison 4000 are in perfect condition. I would have the seller take extensive interior and exterior pictures before you go see it in person. Of course I would not any money on deposit before walking through it and crawling over, under and on top of it. check every cabinet for water stains carefully! Hope it works out for you, good luck, remember the hunt is part of the thrill of the process.
DADSDOGHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #8

Welcome! Where in the PNW are you located? If you are near the I-5 corridor you should be able to find plenty of rigs to look through. If like us in Wenatchee, not much to see!! My Wife & I used rvusa.com to look at a bunch of floor plans. Personally, I wouldn't suggest a rig that has been sitting, not being used. It will only lead to a ton of work & dollars to bring it up to working/safety condition. Good luck with your search!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:52 PM   #9

@DADS, I have looked at the Tropical already, maybe three weeks ago. I had found it online and did some reading up and found several resources saying the Nationals were built very well and perhaps better than most at the time. Of course, I have no way to confirm how true that is. Anyway, we went up and looked at it. It's on consignment and the seller chose not to clean it before putting it up for sale so it's dirty but dirt washes off, the gelcoat isn't chalky, but the decals are. Not surprising given its age. Maybe they will clean up, but they can always be replaced. The inside is in great shape outside of needing a cleaning. The captain's chairs show no signs of wear, no dings in cabinet corners, etc. It does have a musty smell but so does my boat after being closed up if I forget to change the air dryers. I live in the pacific northwet. Yes, I said northwet, not northwest. :-) The only sign I spotted of possible water intrusion is around the tv antenna crank. I do plan to go take another look this weekend when I head up to the boat. We'll see.

@99dart. I am between Tacoma and Seattle, plenty of lots to visit but really not a lot of things to look at in the price range I want to stay under. If were retired or retiring soon I'd be more inclined to spend more since we'd be able to use it as much as we wanted but I'm still working so don't want to tie up a bunch of money on something that will see limited use.

Tags