Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New member looking to buy 1st RV

Hi to all. I have been actively reading this site for a few months. Last year we did a 30 day trip in North Rockies (GTNP, YNP, Glacier, Black Hills) via car/motels and were envious of all those of you vacationing via RV's. We have been long-time tent campers and love the outdoors. We are nearing retirement and considering making the jump into a Motorhome. Would hope to spend several 2-3 month trips a year to see the country.

We attended the NJ RV Show in January and fell in love with the Newmar Canyon Star 3610. Any reviews or comments on the Canyon Star line would be great. We talked with the reps from Dylan's RV in South Jersey and with a rep from Newmar. Did not get into any negotiations since we are not quite ready to buy (hopefully next 6 - 9 months). Would like to have for the 2015 season. Although I have read many pushing to buy used for first RV, I am leaning towards new if I can get an adequate deal. Like the idea of fresh and clean and still in warranty. Have tended to buy new cars my entire life for the same reason.

Based on our tent camping heritage, I think we will like campgrounds in national parks, national forests, state parks, etc. so we will do a reasonable amount of dry camping. Have been reading about all the options to consider to make unit reasonable for short-term (3 -5 ) day dry camping stays.

I appreciate all the insight I have gained from reading all the posts and look forward to your input and learning from all your experiences.

Randy Thomas
Class A Motorhome Wannabe
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We are very Happy with our CS3940. Had it now for a little over a year. Check this thread out..... also there as others on the Canyon Star. Let me know if you have any other questions.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2013...te-156120.html
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #3

Suggest reading through the Newmar owners forum, see what experiences they are having. Ask about warranty service experiences etc.

Welcome
Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your future plans.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I had already read that thread but thanks for link. Just rescanned the thread and read the more recent posts.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always recommend renting an RV for at least a week before buying one.

And I always recommend picking the unit with the floor plan that Momma likes best.

The floor plan should be your determining factor.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #7

Welcome to IRV2.

General consensus I believe is Newmar is very good, with skilled Wood workers, utilize a method of construction that many believe is stiffer/more insulated and tend to drive good due to Comfort Steer. Tiffin would be considered a comparable brand (Even if Newmar is your prefered I recommend trying at least 1 competitor so you have satisfaction it is indeed your best bet) Entegra is very similar however they only make the big tag axles at this time.

If you go Newmar you might consider inquiring about the 24k chassis if your model isn't on it already (Boondocking friendlier water carrying capacity due to more CCC's)

Boondocking forums will have some more information for you Ie 6V AGM, adding more batteries, solar etc. But I suspect you already read those threads.

After your motor home search is over, consider sites like El Monte that have itineraries and Bus Tour companies, these might spring board some ideas for vacation themes that might not have been first of mind. Of course as you travel along and meet other campers they'll have ideas as well. I like a mix of Nature (Spelunking in Caves), Historical (Grand old mansions), Culture (The Henry Ford, Chicago Museum of Science and Industry), Fine Culture (Theatre, etc), and Living History (Yorktown, Black Creek/Colonial Williamsburg), Then there is NASCAR/Baseball/Hockey/Football tailgating. You'll be good to go for 3 or 4 decades I wager.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard.....Newmar makes a very nice unit, but as stated above, take a look at a couple other manufactures just so you know for sure the Canyon Star is right for you...Good luck...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Randy! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome and happy hunting.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

My advise if you are going to buy new. Spend as much time looking at every floor plan you can. My first class A was brand new and we kept it 3 or 4 years and when I wanted to get what I have now I was up side down. Told dw that will never ever happen again. If you buy new, make sure it is what you both can live in for the next ? years. You may even want to look at heavy duty truck conversions. Oh ya, maybe even test drive some options.

I rented before buying and thought we knew what we wanted. It worked until we added to our dog family. I know now I will continue with a truck conversion with a garage for the dogs and if that would change I then would go with a bus conversion.

Best to you
Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2013 Canyon Star 3856 absolutely love the coach. We looked and many others and Newmar had the best features in a Gasser we are very happy with our choice.
rwjsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Good luck with your search. If you live in the northeast go to the Hershey RV show in Sept/ There are lots of RV's there and knowledgeable people. You may even find a good deal.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags