Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #1

Question New member - retiring soon

Hello All, my name is Susan and I hope to join the RV community soon. I know nothing about it, but do know I want to see this great country of ours. I will be retiring soon, (within 2 years) and could use any and all tips you can give.

I am wondering how all of you started.

Do you recommend a small Class A or a small Class C.

How difficult is it to drive either?

Thanks Susan
jemma112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forums Susan!
I too am looking forward to retirement soon but I wish I could say when (stupid economy!).
My wife and I had a 24' Class C years ago and enjoyed it greatly. We just bought a 36' Class A and haven't made an outing in it yet. There are advantages to both types.
This much I can say - The smaller C is easier to just jump into and drive and find places to park. The bigger A will take a bit more to get used to the size but like anything else new, once you are accustomed to it it shouldn't be a problem.
My advice is to look at LOTS of models and floor plans and start to narrow things down. If you take your time, you'll find the right one.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to visit a few RV dealers and just look at what they have. It would also help if you rented one similar to what you think will work for you.

And since this is your first RV, I'd suggest a gently used one. Plenty of nice used ones out ther, but you need to remember "Buyer Beware". Have an independent RV tech check the proposed rig over and also have a shop check the engine and drive line. This may cost you a couple of hundred dollars, but could save you much more by avoiding one with problems.

When you get ready to make the deal, make sure that the person selling the RV (dealer or individual) writes everything they promised into the contract...not in the contract, things get "forgotten". You should not pay for a separate make ready or demo fee as this is part of them doing business.

When you get ready for delivery, make sure the RV is 100% before you sign the papers or give them any more money. Let them know,you will not accept delivery or pay for it until it is 100% complete and finished.

Now go have fun shopping.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forum...... I strongly suggest that you rent a few before you buy. We rented quite a few before we decided on a class C. A year later we moved up to a class A. Both are easy to drive. My wife actually prefers driving the class A.

The main thing is the floorplan. By renting a few it makes it easier to decide what you want vs. what you need for your lifestyle.

There are a lot of late model low mile used units on the market and especially for a first time buyer I think it is the best way to go.

Enjoy shopping
Paul
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote