Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 08:00 PM   #1

New member with question

Hello all! I am a new member but have been an owner of a 34" bumper pull and since 2013, a 40" 5th wheel. We have gotten to the point where we rarely use the trailer anymore but still owe on it. We are considering renting it out. We would deliver to a campground nearby (less than 2 hours from the Great Smokie Mountain NP!), then pick up after the arranged guest stay. Anyone on here done this with their 5th wheels? If so, how was the experience, pros and cons. Thanks in advance!
Jnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 08:06 PM   #2

Check with your:
Lender
Insurance Coverage

*You are creating a 'business'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Go to Outdoorsy and sign up. They have the best rental information and anyone renting through them has to be certified and carry insurance through them. We rent out our Class A and feel very comfortable using them.
Ggeoff91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:27 PM   #4

Old-Biscuit : Ah yes, we still need to make that call. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggeoff91 View Post
Go to Outdoorsy and sign up. They have the best rental information and anyone renting through them has to be certified and carry insurance through them. We rent out our Class A and feel very comfortable using them.
Outdoorsy would be my first choice. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2023, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We’re sure glad you joined the gang here!

No experience renting so can't help with that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:11 AM   #7

Talk with the RV grounds directly, go visit them and see if there is a business model, I"ll asssume they already have a local group, or groups doing this, but you never know. Cozy up to the Mngt there and get your foot in the door, the old fashioned way! Add a golf cart or two for rent, and now you really have a small business started! But the downside is that you will also be in the constant repair business as well!
Forza Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:57 AM   #8

Are you going to create an LLC, separate the 5vr business from personal assets?
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:20 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you can make it work and help defray the cost of your payment, go for it. However, there are two things, one, you need to make sure everything works properly, you can't rent junk, and be thick skinned when it comes back damaged. If you think you can handle that, go for it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllegroD View Post
Are you going to create an LLC, separate the 5vr business from personal assets?
This is all new to me. Is the LLC necessary?
Old 03-28-2023, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you can make it work and help defray the cost of your payment, go for it. However, there are two things, one, you need to make sure everything works properly, you can't rent junk, and be thick skinned when it comes back damaged. If you think you can handle that, go for it.
I appreciate your comments. Yes, our biggest concern is damage. Really exploring options right now. We just don’t use it enough and trade or resale just cuts us short. Such is the life of the casual rv owner!
Old 03-28-2023, 02:02 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnish View Post
This is all new to me. Is the LLC necessary?

It's a risk management thing, so maybe a good idea but not a strict necessity. It separates your personal assets from the business, so useful if you get sued over something. Even then, as the sole owner of the LLC you may not be shielded, so you might want to consult an attorney on the liability question. The more often you rent and the more services you provide (like the golf cart somebody mentioned), the greater the potential for a disgruntled or injured customer to sue over something. This is a much greater worry now than say 20 years ago.

If you are planning on rentals nearly every week during your summer camping season, it's going to be more than a trivial amount of work and the likelihood of breakdowns (and refunds!) or injury (somebody trips on those tall 5w steps) increases. Remember you have to clean it between uses, make needed repairs, and do that 4 hour round trip every time. Or leave the trailer in the site and do the work there. Have you considered a season site? And does the park allow rentals?

Lot's of questions and what-ifs to be addressed. I think it's all doable, but it's not just easy money.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags