Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 04:51 AM   #1

New motorhome owner

Hello everyone, I am recently retired and the owner of a new MH. Although my wife and I camped a lot over our lifetime with our kids we haven't done much in the last 10-15 yrs. I am getting some surprises from the RV industry as far as the quality control(or lack there-of) of new camping trailers and motorhomes. I researched before buying ours and thought I was buying a good product but am surprised by the issues that have popped up. Is this the experience of everybody else? Looking forward to hearing from you with ideas and advise about this and also a we start to travel more. Thanks!
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 05:59 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. We also bought new and experienced a variety of small problems. Some were fixed at delivery, some have taken longer, most are now corrected. When you read on the internet this seems to be the norm. There are a lot of complicated systems made by a bunch of different manufacturers, put together by yet another party. Happily, none of ours were major.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RonF,

Welcome to the Forum! Please make out the info on your rig in your user cp. It helps people to help you.

Unfortunately there is a lot of info out there about people having trouble with purchases of new RV's. Start reading threads to get some advice or info. There are a lot of helpful people here.

LB
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello RonF,

I have read on iRV2 to buy an RV, in particular a motor home, that is one year old. This way the first owner will take care of the "new" issues.

Angie and I had a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP we bough in 2014. It was our first RV/motor home.

After we decided we liked the life style, we are part-time and seasonal "campers", it was time to consider a new RV or used, new to us RV.

We knew, after looking at many motor homes we would buy a Newmar, we liked the quality and having had our old coach serviced at the factory, we knew the service received was good.

Next was new or used?

Used, our budget would have allowed about a 7-8 year old Dutch Star.

We could purchase a new gas model.

Weighing the differences between a diesel pusher and gas model we came up with the following.

We do not tow a heavy trailer or vehicle and I do not need the torque for speed pulling up mountains.

Then came the fact of "issues" with an older coach and what is revealed and what isn't at sales time.

We were tired of "surprises" from our older coach and any "issues" with a coach we owned, we wanted it to be ours.

So we went with a new Canyon Star.

Yes, there are "issues", it is at Newmar as I write this. Some major, some just simple adjustments.

One major problem was our front roof air, it would run but would not produce conditioned air, either heat or chilled. It is a heat pump, 13,5 BTU model.

Newmar informed me they would be replacing the unit......hmmmmmmm. I asked if I could upgrade the unit to a 1500 BTU unit? They agreed and it was less than $200. Now I have a unit that will keep up a little better in those dog days of summer........especially up front.

One other thing to consider when buying new, is the problem with quality or a part purchased from a vendor that failed, such as my heat pump.

Now I have a record of what this rig has had done, we will own this motor home for many years to come.......

Good luck and welcome to iRV2, this is a great resource.

g
Old 11-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome aboard! What king of a rig did you buy?
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Thanks for sharing. Most of ours are small issues as well. We bought one of the new Winnebago Vista 29VE with the outside kitchen. I will post a pic soon. Take care.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely fill out the info and pictures asap. I am not used to using forums so it is taking me a little bit to figure out how to get around,etc.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #9

PS We bought a 2017 Winnebago Vista 29VE with the outdoor kitchen package.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing, I have many thoughts and questions to share as well.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #11

Thanks for the hearty welcome! Wish you well, happy trails and God bless you too.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #12

Thanks for the welcome! We bought a 2017 Winnebago Vista 29VE with the outdoor kitchen pkg.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Hi all, new and first post...Nov 1 picked up or should say tried to pick up Newmar Ventana 3436...everything appeared to work but when we got to rv site rear a/c wasn't cooling...appears to not be an uncommon problem...any other issues I should be prepared for?
Jimharry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimharry77 View Post
Hi all, new and first post...Nov 1 picked up or should say tried to pick up Newmar Ventana 3436...everything appeared to work but when we got to rv site rear a/c wasn't cooling...appears to not be an uncommon problem...any other issues I should be prepared for?
Any new-to-you rig should have EVERY thing tested, used, opened/closed, filled, emptied etc by buyer.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome