Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
New - Old Member getting more into camping... again and coming back to iRV2 for ideas

Hello everybody,

I have been a camper all of my life...literally. In the late 90s' and early 2000s, my family was very active in camping, I was even a moderator on iRV2.com.

My mom and dad took me camping when I was 1 year old in a converted 1950 International / Carpenter school bus which dad had converted with a "chemical toilet" (bucket), 4-army bunk beds, a propane cooktop, and a Coleman cooler.

Through my teenage and single adult years, I car camped and van camped, just to love the outdoors.

Since marriage, my wife and I have owned popup campers, travel trailers, and a class A motor home. We purchased three brand new Somerset and Elkhart-built units, but I have been disappointed with each one of them.

We bought our current unit was bought used and we have been happy. That is we were happy until one of the 4-year old "china-bombs" blew out on the highway, during our recent 5400-mile family camping trip. Still, we like the camper and for now, we will overlook the damage from the blown tire. But that brings me to a new conversation.

Since 1995, I have driven Eagle, MCI, and Prevost passenger coaches and entertainer coaches. My wife has driven MCI and Prevost since 2008. There is no doubt in our minds that these handle highway driving far better than any Elkhart-built motor home that either of us has ever ridden in or driven.

So we are planning our next RV, which we fully expect to be the last RV purchase of our lifetimes. We will be inquiring of various conversion companies' reputation and quality of the build, as well as still a potential that we will build an interior ourselves. We both love the CAT/ZF powertrain combo especially the 12-speed transmission, but both of us also have driven 5-speed manual buses too. We are not limiting our search to any particular coach, engine, or transmission manufacturer, simply looking for a good unit for the best price possible. We already know how expensive it will be to upgrade it or to build it and want to be able to start with a good solid running foundation. Any ideas? Hit me up in a reply!

Thanks,
George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome back George.
You might want to investigate the Schoolie Forums. On YouTube I have followed and meet Chris from Chris Travels when he went from “van life” to motorhome living and now the Schoolie life.

The most economical conversions are the diesel cab over buses where the roof is raised. Parts are wildly available. Took him at least a year to build. A video about once a week. The video pictured here is a 6 minute overview of his bus. As a YT creator his main channel is “Tiny Home Tours”, where he has tours of mostly full timers and their rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B44651BA-B782-4033-9296-B9F3103326D1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	340031  
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another newbie here ;-)

Hi all,

New (to me) 2017 Newmar Ventana 34' owner here (in FL/Citrus County), trying to learn as much as possible about that RV. Already had my small share of problems and (as long time computer programmer) tried to work my way through manuals and forums. Had a 30' sailboat before and those user groups are a wealth of knowledge and friendly helpers. Hope to find the same here !!!
Tnx in advance and y'all be safe !!

Michael
HigginsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. You should be able to get some good ideas from the variousthreads here.
Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HigginsB View Post
Hi all,

New (to me) 2017 Newmar Ventana 34' owner here (in FL/Citrus County), trying to learn as much as possible about that RV. Already had my small share of problems and (as long time computer programmer) tried to work my way through manuals and forums. Had a 30' sailboat before and those user groups are a wealth of knowledge and friendly helpers. Hope to find the same here !!!
Tnx in advance and y'all be safe !!

Michael
Welcome to you as well.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum

Hoping that you find your happy place.

Good hunting to you.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
George;

Nice to hear from you again. I remember when you were very active on iRV2. In fact last week I was reading up on the history of iRV2 and I remember seeing your name mentioned there.

Post often and keep us posted on your search for the right rig.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi George

Welcome back to iRV2.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think the “KEY” word here is a solid foundation to build a rig on. The power train / suspension combo will dictate the direction you follow. The only advice I can put forward from following a bunch of YouTube’ers over the years is a power train that has easily replaceable parts. So something that was produced in high quantities and still many on the road today.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I think the “KEY” word here is a solid foundation to build a rig on. The power train / suspension combo will dictate the direction you follow. The only advice I can put forward from following a bunch of YouTube’ers over the years is a power train that has easily replaceable parts. So something that was produced in high quantities and still many on the road today.
I have thought about this quite a bit. While the CAT engine is no longer manufactured for road service, CAT does service the engines that remain in service. The ZF Astronic 12-speed manual transmission is different because it functions without a clutch pedal. As time marches on, I do think it will become hard to find mechanics who know how to repair the shifting mechanisms.

So CAT/Allison or Cummins/Allison maybe better for service centers along the interstate highways.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping