Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #1

Red face New Old Timers

Heidi Folks. I (Lamar)and my wife, (Jennie) are old timers 71 and 69 respectively. We've been camping in one form or another since 1971. Started with just being a guest of friends to a tent to a 25', "C" class Tioga, to a 28' "C" class Minnie Winnie, to a 31', "A" class, Damon Intruder and finally settling on a 35' Forest River Sierra 5th wheel. We actually don't travel that far when we go tripping, but we enjoy getting out in the country just seeing everything we can in the short trips we take, our longest trip covering about 1500 miles into Al,Miss, La, Mo, Ark, Tenn,The Carolinas and Georgia. We usually take 2 of our Grand Kids at a time and really enjoy showing them Our United States. I'd like to take a trip to Oregon, but, I haven't worked up the courage for the mountain driving although most of the trip is on the interstate highways. Maybe someone has suggestions for a trip like this?
wiseenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My suggestion for your trip, like the ad says, 'just do it'!

A well maintained rig will go a long way toward minimizing any unplanned 'adventures', but you should be mentally prepared for those too. Assuming you are retired, any time delays won't mean as much to you as to someone that just has to get back to work next Monday.

When we're gasping our last it won't be the adventures had that we'll regret, but those not pursued.

Take your trip, and enjoy every mile.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice Jay and Peggy. Sounds like you're getting ready for a beautiful new home on wheels shortly if not already done.
We've got plans to make the trip out to Oregon in the spring, probably late May Or early June. Rains a lot there. Hopefully the weather will be better that time of year. I have relatives there and this is their suggestion. We lived out there in the early 60's and have been back several times, but this time we plan on seeing some of the sites along the way instead of flying out there.
Hope you Guys enjoy your new MH. Maybe we'll meet you on the road some day.
Lamar and Jennie Wise
Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #4

The west coast is a wonderful place to visit. Sure it can be a bit grey and soggy sometimes, but it usually doesn't last too long. We're a bit biased since we live here! In fact, several neighbors have said "Why do you need an RV when you live here?"

Both Oregon and Washington have really wonderful places to visit. If you're fully retired and don't have pressing time-related issues back wherever "home" is, come out next spring and stay through October.

Where we live in Anacortes is where my sister reckons God comes on his vacation.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Lamar,

Glad to hear you're going for it!

Our new home on wheels has been slightly delayed. We now expect to take delivery in mid October. There was a problem modifying the one we had originally put our names on to fit our needs. Its all good though. This way we'll get exactly what we want and waiting another few weeks is nothing compared to the decade, or so, we plan to live in it.

As an aside. As a kid we lived for a short time in the 'big' town of Tillamook OR. One of the famous cheese factories was just down the road from us. I remember the distinct 'aroma', when the wind was just right. Of course here in Wisconsin, no one's ever heard of Tillamook cheese.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
65 and 70 here
been motorcoaching for a year
started w a 2009 holiday rambler c
next week will be first time out in our just got it 2 days ago 2011 georgetown a
happy trails to all
brian and ellie
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

Frankdamp? I can do a lot with a web name like that!
Yep! I've been there when the Willamette River flooded the town! We lived in Corvallis and had relatives living up in Astoria. Camped on top of Marys Peak and went offshore fishing at Newport Beach. We retired from long distance trucking in '05 and went to work for our Church which had several outlets like Waterfront Mission, and Goodwill Industries. We called it Helping Hands Missions and assisted underprivileged children and families in hardship conditions. Now I and Jennie are fully retired and looking to spend our last years enjoying the things we like best. Happy Trails to you and yours. Maybe we'll meet some day! Lamar and Jennie Wise
Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Lamar,

Glad to hear you're going for it!

Our new home on wheels has been slightly delayed. We now expect to take delivery in mid October. There was a problem modifying the one we had originally put our names on to fit our needs. Its all good though. This way we'll get exactly what we want and waiting another few weeks is nothing compared to the decade, or so, we plan to live in it.

As an aside. As a kid we lived for a short time in the 'big' town of Tillamook OR. One of the famous cheese factories was just down the road from us. I remember the distinct 'aroma', when the wind was just right. Of course here in Wisconsin, no one's ever heard of Tillamook cheese.
Hate to hear 'bout the delay for your new MH Jay and Peggy, but the end results are, you get exactly what you want and that sometimes takes a little longer!
After spending the last 50+ years traveling the roads and highways, (I had my own small interstate trucking company) you'd think I had enough of traveling but I never get tired of it. I lived in Oregon a while, but in all my trucking days, I never got to Oregon, Washington, Alaska or North Dakota. I hope to correct that this Spring or early summer. Happy Trails to you and Peggy. Hope you enjoy the new Fleetwood!