Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 02:54 AM   #1

Wink New or Used Class A for this Traveling Nurse?

Hello,
Perhaps 2017 will be the year that I pull the trigger and purchase my very 1st RV. At 1st I thought, let me buy a 3 yr old used RV in the fall/winter (hopefully they didn't smoke or have a smelly pet). Now I'm thinking, I'm fortunate enough to have my company give me a housing stipend (rent) that could easily cover the monthly payments and RV park costs. Perhaps I should have my sights set on brand spanking new! Forget about W/D as facilities are aplenty at most parks yes? My work contracts are in 3 month increments but can usually extend up to a year most places. I'd tow my Ford C-Max Energi electric car and explore with it. I'm recently divorced and have a 3 yr old son with my ex-wife in Glendale ,CA. I guess I played Russian Roulette (she's Russian) and lost but becoming a parent at any level has been the most rewarding experience of my life. My plan is to keep on getting contracts no further than 2 hr drive time from Glendale. I've worked in both Palm Springs and now Santa Barbara recently, rented Airbnb housing and basically wasted money out the window. Perhaps I could find my own stinky pet and give my son some unique amazing memories with his TRUE father camping in this RV. Any advice from this group would be greatly appreciated. As always, safe travels.
RVTRAVELRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

You'll get many opinions on new vs used. IMHO I prefer to let someone else take the big depreciation that occurs in the first years. Buying new does not mean you will have no problems. I think you are better off taking the stipend you have and find a nice 2-3 yr old Class A. You will be able to look at higher end units with more amenities, then buying a new coach.

Good luck with your search.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 12-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

Personally I think you are shopping WAY too new, the RV industry had a major meltdown with the economic slowdown in 2008-2009, many fine RV companies went out of business then, and many others found themselves doing lots of corner cutting on quality which they are just now starting to recover from. In addition if you are looking at a Diesel unit, their were some major EPA regulation that came into effect around 2007 which greatly complicated the emissions systems on diesel engines resulting in lots of costly potential service issues. Keep in mind RV's depreciate rapidly and it is possible with some shopping to find excellent bargains in older higher quality motorhomes, for example I recently bought a 15 year old Class A motorhome (a 2002 Safari Trek 2830), new retail price was about $115,000 in 2002 (which is about $150,000 inflation adjusted), I paid $20,500 for it at just under 15 years of age and just under 75,000 miles. Overall it is in very good condition with lots of updates and upgrades and has been 100% reliable in the couple of thousand miles I have put on it already all for 15% of the initial cost. A lot of the reason you can find such low prices at the 12-15 year point is that most lenders will not finance a motorhome over 10-12 years old, so you see a rapid drop in prices as motorhomes cross that magic line.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

I'm not going to add to the new / used debate. There are plenty of those threads if you want to see the same old hash / rehash of that conversation.

However, from someone that lived in So. Cal '84-'94, my suggestion for the first thing you should do is to spend a lot time looking at RV parks around the areas you think you would work. My guess is you are going to unpleasantly surprised at what you find that would be reasonably convienient to where you end up working if you plan to stay within 2 hours or so of Glendale.....

Good luck.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTRAVELRN View Post
Perhaps 2017 will be the year that I pull the trigger and purchase my very 1st RV. At 1st I thought, let me buy a 3 yr old used RV in the fall/winter (hopefully they didn't smoke or have a smelly pet). Now I'm thinking, I'm fortunate enough to have my company give me a housing stipend (rent) that could easily cover the monthly payments and RV park costs. Perhaps I should have my sights set on brand spanking new! Forget about W/D as facilities are aplenty at most parks yes? My work contracts are in 3 month increments but can usually extend up to a year most places. I'd tow my Ford C-Max Energi electric car and explore with it. I'm recently divorced and have a 3 yr old son with my ex-wife in Glendale ,CA. I guess I played Russian Roulette (she's Russian) and lost but becoming a parent at any level has been the most rewarding experience of my life. My plan is to keep on getting contracts no further than 2 hr drive time from Glendale. I've worked in both Palm Springs and now Santa Barbara recently, rented Airbnb housing and basically wasted money out the window. Perhaps I could find my own stinky pet and give my son some unique amazing memories with his TRUE father camping in this RV. Any advice from this group would be greatly appreciated. As always, safe travels.
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs. Personally, I would choose a used motorhome for whatever price range you decide on. That way, you can get a higher end coach and hopefully someone else has already gotten all the bugs out! I would also choose diesel, even if you have to get an older one to stay within the budget. You can expect to get 500,000 miles out of a well-maintained diesel pusher, so if you find one with +/- 100k I wouldn't worry about it.

I would get one with a W/D! You don't want to spend time in a laundry where the last thing in the washer was a blanket covered in dog poop!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not that I've had a lot of experience, but a fair amount, and I looked at a lot of class A rigs last year. Ended up getting a really nice used one that was 19 years old at the time of purchase. Was originally just under $100 grand (1997 dollars, today would be around $150 grand), and I got it for $9 thousand. Lucky that it came from a mechanic who took good care of the engine and drive train, so most of the problems we had to fix were somewhat minor (or self-inflicted). Spent about $2500 fixing it up (including 8 tires... got lucky on cost of them, too) and it's been a beauty for us so far! I think the depreciation drop on new ones is big enough that I'd suggest a good used unit as many here have suggested. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation and new-unit repairs!
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would get one with a W/D! You don't want to spend time in a laundry where the last thing in the washer was a blanket covered in dog poop!
If I recall correctly. tie dyed was the rage in the mid to late 60's. Now you are telling me that dropping a pure white t shirt in a commercial laundry may be an adventure of questionable outcome? What if I wanted to add horse hair to my shirt? or the oil stain look? where is your sense of adventure?? LOL

buy used, buy value, read many back post to discover what is quality and what is needed for your adventure. My list of must haves has changed with time and absorbed knowledge from all the experienced people on these forums sharing their wisdom.

The rv's serve a variety of needs, full timers to weekend warriors, tail party platforms, boondocker homes, race car hauler, so their wants and needs differ greatly. go to ppl and discover the market range (they have a listing of all sold units) and floor plan layouts.

buying is not a sprint to the finish, but rather a purchase that depreciates, a loss - in exchange for a adventure.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The new/used debate, for me, comes down to money. A new rig is no more reliable than a used one, as watching this site will reveal. So, to me, it's the massive depreciation that hits the minute your new rig becomes used, about the time the ink dries. Now, six monthes later, you decide this life is not for you and your son -- now what? You have a used rig with a massive depreciation, likely worth less than you owe. A used rig will depreciate too, but no where near as much, and you will likely not be upside-down by much. Exactly how handy are you? Rvs are fragile and expensive to repair, so you better have a pile of money or a great set of tools, or both. I found a mechanic who comes to the rig here in the SLC valley, otherwise, you gotta take your home to them and they will keep it for weeks waiting on parts and -- well -- once they have it all apart, what you gonna do? How's that gonna work? And rething the washer dryer option -- might be nice to NOT have to watch your laundry, just throw a load in and go to work. My washer turns into a dryer when it's done washing, but these things do small loads only.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #9

Best bang for the buck--gently used 2-3 year old rig.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #10

Welcome RN
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, travel