Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #1

New Retiree in an old RV

Just by way of introduction. We are Dave and Debi Shake, We live in Lebanon,IL and although I am an Air Force retired CMSgt, I am still working for DoD (don't know for how much longer). Just purchased a 2002 Georgie Boy Landau...it appears to be in pretty good shape for it's age. Working through some minor issues. but will take it on our second voyage next week to try it out..Branson Mo seems like a good target and with the hills and valleys it will be a good test run. First outing ended with engine issues..turned around and came home first morning.. Should have checked things like air cleaners, and basic maintenance things...however,,trusted the seller...(never again). I think we have those things resolved and will try it again. So....Hello!
Dave Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave & Debi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #3

Congrats on your new rig and pending retirement.

Happy that you solved your problems.

Maintenance, maintenance maintenance. Very important on MH.

Lots of great info here. Ask lots of questions.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

2002? Old? That ain't old!

(The newer ones seem to be made much less robustly than pre-2004 models. Yours should serve you well.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Welcome to the 2002 Club, there are a lot of us and older. May you enjoy your well earned retirement!
Old 09-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #6

We’ve got your coaches twin here in North Texas! ‘02 GB Landau 3402. Got her this past January. She had a little over 36k on her when we got her.

So far we/I have - (assuming the Workhorse W22 chassis) -

Gotten the brake caliper recall completed - paid to have new pads installed with calipers. The caliper recall also allows for a brake fluid change.
Changed plugs and wires to 41-101’s and Magnum wires from Brazel’s.
Found a failed fuel pressure dampener/regulator on the fuel rail.
Replaced the MAF after finding fuel trims wacky.
Oil change.
Radiator flush and refill with DexCool.
Flush changed transmission fluid from Dexron to TranSyn (Allison approved) transmission fluid, to include filter change and confirmed magnet placement (original was missing).
Found dashboard had broken loose of front end cap - had to remove the dash to install studs for resecuring the dash to the end cap plus reattaching the windshield wiper motor drive.
Removed front overhead CRT TV - removed cabinet door over passenger side chair, hinged a solid oak panel in the doors place, and mounted a flat screen TV with articulated arm to the oak panel. Stained panel to match. This allowed keeping the storage on that cabinet, and picking up storage where the old CRT TV was.
Removed rear/bedroom CRT TV - again hinged a piece of oak in the opening and installed a flatscreen TV on an articulated arm to the stained to match oak panel. We picked up that cabinet for storage as well.
Upgraded the converter to one of the new Progressive Dynamics 4 stage microprocessor controlled converter.
Repaired burned neutral for microwave circuit in breaker panel.
Set of 6 new tires - Hercules 245/75R19.5’s.
Loaded and weighed coach to confirm tire air pressures.
Coach mounted EMS should arrive tomorrow.
Cleaned AC condenser coils (be careful here as water can spill over into coach) and evaluated all electrical for signs of burning.
The original Samsung microwave had been recalled due to faulty keypad issues. When the microwave display went south, and I was unable to get a response out of Samsung - we ended up buying a 1000W RecPro microwave/convection oven - good experience with microwave/convection with our previous coach (although Panasonic).
Tune-up and oil change for Onan genset.
New Bilsteins on all 4 corners (RockAuto always seems to have the best price including shipping - at least for this and our previous coach).
Upgraded the front torsion bar from the stock 2” square (early Workhorse model years) to the 2-1/2” square available on later model years.

FWIW - I monitor engine operation using my FoxWell N301 OBDII OBD scanner. Many people on the IRV2 boards recommended the ScanGauge II. I bought one and am considering selling it - it doesn’t record live data, doesn’t have alarms - the one + feature it has is it can give transmission fluid temps. I’m pretty certain the FoxWell N601 will do that although I have yet to buy one to confirm such.
Replaced both slide toppers. New awning canvas is on order and awaiting shipment.

FWIW2 - I’ve yet to find a scanner other than GM’s Tech II that can read ALL the chassis modules like ABS. Even the so called knock-off’s won’t read everything.

FWIW3 - had to replace driver side windshield due to it being broken when we torqued the chassis on our first outing. That was when I found the dash had broken loose from the front end cap. $1600.00 from RVGlass Solutions. PO had indicated they had recently just replaced the same windshield but didn’t clearly explain the cause - which we discovered on our first outing (with a $1000 deductible - we chose to eat the $1600 to minimize any future hit to our premium).

Things on my list to change or fix -

Replacing rotted wood used for engine hood mounting inside front cap and hood with UHMW.
Cleaning EPDM roof, making any repairs to caulking (Dicor self leveling sealant), and painting roof.
Sanding brown skirt across front and to behind the front wheels to the first basement door to get rid of clear coat blisters. Will probably have to re-apply base coat, then will apply new clear coat. (If you coach has a paint code label inside somewhere, I sure would appreciate a picture of it - I’ve yet to find one in ours to have a chance at matching paint).

Please feel free to write if you have questions or need pictures.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile

Welcome to the form. There is always something to do to our MH.

Two thing if no one mentioned:

1) Tires age out on these motorhomes. They can Look Like New, but be 20 years old. Check the date codes. I use the 6 year rule, there are different number of years people use. Anywhere from 5 to 10 years. It's cheap to replace tires compared to repairing basement when you blow out a tire.

2) Older MH's many times the brake self adjusters (slack adjuster) stop adjusting. Check the brake adjustment.

Have a fun trip.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Let us know what we can do to help you.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:37 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on maiden voyage #2

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:06 AM   #10

Howdy and welcome. Thank you for you service and your families contributions to our freedom. Wishing you many years and miles of making memories as you begin your retirement.
2TxAgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #11

Welcome to IRV2.. thank you so much for service.. did you do any mechanical work in service ?

Look up your roof system type.. 1st thing.. don't even put any more money in it until get check roof.. I got a 2000 southwind 4 yrs ago.. just caught roof problems in neck of time..

ONCE ROOF GOES YOU ARE WASTING MONEY TO FIX ANYTHING ELSE.. sorry, but water inside roof and walls just destroys rv in months.. 1st do search find out what type of roof.. next with flashlights carefully look for any ceiling discoloration.. behind cabinets.. tv's around vents.. same for walls.. they point to leaks

2nd.. get up on roof.. don't fix anything unless you see a hole..

3rd read here, YouTube.. and research roof repair and maintenance..

4th.. get dicore..caulk.. many.. and eternabond tape.. 4in and 6in wide.. many... then start on roof repair a maintenance..

GET ROOF UNDER CONTROL..1ST THINGS.... because if owner lied about rv mechanical condition then bet roof needs work.. Was it inside at po place ? Did you go up and inspect the roof? You do have garage you can work on or just outside ?
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 09-12-2021, 07:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Welcome to IRV2.. thank you so much for service.. did you do any mechanical work in service ?

Look up your roof system type.. 1st thing.. don't even put any more money in it until get check roof.. I got a 2000 southwind 4 yrs ago.. just caught roof problems in neck of time..

ONCE ROOF GOES YOU ARE WASTING MONEY TO FIX ANYTHING ELSE.. sorry, but water inside roof and walls just destroys rv in months.. 1st do search find out what type of roof.. next with flashlights carefully look for any ceiling discoloration.. behind cabinets.. tv's around vents.. same for walls.. they point to leaks

2nd.. get up on roof.. don't fix anything unless you see a hole..

3rd read here, YouTube.. and research roof repair and maintenance..

4th.. get dicore..caulk.. many.. and eternabond tape.. 4in and 6in wide.. many... then start on roof repair a maintenance..

GET ROOF UNDER CONTROL..1ST THINGS.... because if owner lied about rv mechanical condition then bet roof needs work.. Was it inside at po place ? Did you go up and inspect the roof? You do have garage you can work on or just outside ?
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
FWIW and for the record - our coach (noted above) has a Dicor rubber roof on it. I would think the OPís coach, being built same year as a Landau, would be the same (Iíve not been able to locate brochure on what was offered on 2002 model Georgie Boy Landauís).
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #13

Thanks Mr. Mark, Great checklist I have already done some of those things and would reccommend that anyone have a mechanic check out the running gearon any new purchase..I trusted the seller and had issues on our first attempted trip. fortunately nothing earthshattering but ruined the trip for us. the real challenge here in southern Illinois is finding someone to work on it without a two wee delay. Anyway..another trip to Branson is set up for next Monday..wish us luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Weíve got your coaches twin here in North Texas! Ď02 GB Landau 3402. Got her this past January. She had a little over 36k on her when we got her.

So far we/I have - (assuming the Workhorse W22 chassis) -

Gotten the brake caliper recall completed - paid to have new pads installed with calipers. The caliper recall also allows for a brake fluid change.
Changed plugs and wires to 41-101ís and Magnum wires from Brazelís.
Found a failed fuel pressure dampener/regulator on the fuel rail.
Replaced the MAF after finding fuel trims wacky.
Oil change.
Radiator flush and refill with DexCool.
Flush changed transmission fluid from Dexron to TranSyn (Allison approved) transmission fluid, to include filter change and confirmed magnet placement (original was missing).
Found dashboard had broken loose of front end cap - had to remove the dash to install studs for resecuring the dash to the end cap plus reattaching the windshield wiper motor drive.
Removed front overhead CRT TV - removed cabinet door over passenger side chair, hinged a solid oak panel in the doors place, and mounted a flat screen TV with articulated arm to the oak panel. Stained panel to match. This allowed keeping the storage on that cabinet, and picking up storage where the old CRT TV was.
Removed rear/bedroom CRT TV - again hinged a piece of oak in the opening and installed a flatscreen TV on an articulated arm to the stained to match oak panel. We picked up that cabinet for storage as well.
Upgraded the converter to one of the new Progressive Dynamics 4 stage microprocessor controlled converter.
Repaired burned neutral for microwave circuit in breaker panel.
Set of 6 new tires - Hercules 245/75R19.5ís.
Loaded and weighed coach to confirm tire air pressures.
Coach mounted EMS should arrive tomorrow.
Cleaned AC condenser coils (be careful here as water can spill over into coach) and evaluated all electrical for signs of burning.
The original Samsung microwave had been recalled due to faulty keypad issues. When the microwave display went south, and I was unable to get a response out of Samsung - we ended up buying a 1000W RecPro microwave/convection oven - good experience with microwave/convection with our previous coach (although Panasonic).
Tune-up and oil change for Onan genset.
New Bilsteins on all 4 corners (RockAuto always seems to have the best price including shipping - at least for this and our previous coach).
Upgraded the front torsion bar from the stock 2Ē square (early Workhorse model years) to the 2-1/2Ē square available on later model years.

FWIW - I monitor engine operation using my FoxWell N301 OBDII OBD scanner. Many people on the IRV2 boards recommended the ScanGauge II. I bought one and am considering selling it - it doesnít record live data, doesnít have alarms - the one + feature it has is it can give transmission fluid temps. Iím pretty certain the FoxWell N601 will do that although I have yet to buy one to confirm such.
Replaced both slide toppers. New awning canvas is on order and awaiting shipment.

FWIW2 - Iíve yet to find a scanner other than GMís Tech II that can read ALL the chassis modules like ABS. Even the so called knock-offís wonít read everything.

FWIW3 - had to replace driver side windshield due to it being broken when we torqued the chassis on our first outing. That was when I found the dash had broken loose from the front end cap. $1600.00 from RVGlass Solutions. PO had indicated they had recently just replaced the same windshield but didnít clearly explain the cause - which we discovered on our first outing (with a $1000 deductible - we chose to eat the $1600 to minimize any future hit to our premium).

Things on my list to change or fix -

Replacing rotted wood used for engine hood mounting inside front cap and hood with UHMW.
Cleaning EPDM roof, making any repairs to caulking (Dicor self leveling sealant), and painting roof.
Sanding brown skirt across front and to behind the front wheels to the first basement door to get rid of clear coat blisters. Will probably have to re-apply base coat, then will apply new clear coat. (If you coach has a paint code label inside somewhere, I sure would appreciate a picture of it - Iíve yet to find one in ours to have a chance at matching paint).

Please feel free to write if you have questions or need pictures.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #14

Second response.. I will look at the labels and see if I can find a paint code... I have one damaged rear wheel skirt broken when a tire blew out..I am looking for a replacement. Might be hard to find.

Tags
tire