Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2021, 06:25 AM   #1

New RVer

Greetings! I've just purchased a 1999 Coachmen Catalina Diesel Pusher. I'm planning to get on the road full time in October. I have a LOT of work to do and am determined to get this thing 'solidly' road worthy. I'll get up to speed with what info is already posted/available before I start asking all my dumb questions. So much to do...
OwensKa1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Let the adventures begin!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. Congratulations on the purchase of your 99 Coachmen Diesel Pusher. There is a wealth of TV info available to you here just by asking. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions as our members like to help when they can.

Post often and share your new RV adventures with us. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #4

Welcome OwensKa1a. Where do you hail from?

Don't be afraid of asking dumb questions. I do it all the time and I'm still alive. This is one of the friendliest forums around.

I assume your coach has a Freightliner Chassis and probably a Cummins engine, right? Lots of knowledgeable owners here can answer most anything asked of them.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Welcome OwensKa1a. Where do you hail from?

Don't be afraid of asking dumb questions. I do it all the time and I'm still alive. This is one of the friendliest forums around.

I assume your coach has a Freightliner Chassis and probably a Cummins engine, right? Lots of knowledgeable owners here can answer most anything asked of them.
Thank you to everyone for the nice welcome. I grew up in Michigan, spent my career in Silicon Valley and have returned to Michigan a few years ago. Enough already with the winters. I'm hitting the road...

Yes, Freightliner and Cummins - and Allison... The rig is old but I think I got a pretty great deal with brand new tires and only 33K miles. It's been sitting, outdoors, for 5 years. My first order(s) of business:

+ All fluids serviced, grease...whatever they will do as basic service at the shop.
+ Find a replacement mirror for the passenger side - lower/convex portion only. I'm seeing 'Velvac' as a price friendly option.
+ Replace the backup camera system. That 6 inch black and white screen won't cut it and I'm assuming the camera itself could use an upgrade.
+ Roof reseal - planning to do this myself - am I crazy?
+ Generator isn't running. Seller is CONVINCED it just needs a new/cleaned carb as he is aware that he put bad gas in it and then...got sick and stored it that way...for 5 years. But right now there's no spark. I've got new plugs to try first. Hoping I can get it running on my own as I've heard it's going to get pricey at the shop. Onan 7000.
+ Have a leak in the right rear leveling jack. Hoping it doesn't break the bank to get that patched.
+ The engine seems to run strong and sound good (people who know tell me it sounds good). But I noticed a 'rattle' after I did the hour drive home. It appears to be coming from a pulley/belt attached at the top rear of the engine...connected to the AC compressor. I have no idea yet what that pulley/belt is for but it looks pretty accessible and I'm being optimistic that I can do it myself. While I'm at it...that AC Compressor also looks very accessible and the dash AC isn't working...I'm not sure yet that it's the compressor but, if it is...maybe another self repair.
+ Need to either do maintenance on or replace the ladder - tbd.
+ Missing a storage door latch...
+ Steps stopped working...motor? TBD Currently I just detached the pin to the motor to strap the steps up for transport.

My list is much longer than that...yikes...but those are my priorities at the moment...before I even get to solar and cosmetics/remodel. I have a LOT of work to do but plan to do a lot AFTER I hit the road (October). Did I mention I've had enough of winter?

I don't want to misuse the forum or start inappropriate conversations in this new member section. But until I find the time to properly navigate the site and get to the proper/existing posts...any input, suggestions, warnings...about my priorities above are much appreciated.

I am BRAND NEW to the RV world and jumping in the deep end. Fear be damned.
OwensKa1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensKa1a View Post
Thank you to everyone for the nice welcome. I grew up in Michigan, spent my career in Silicon Valley and have returned to Michigan a few years ago. Enough already with the winters. I'm hitting the road...

Yes, Freightliner and Cummins - and Allison... The rig is old but I think I got a pretty great deal with brand new tires and only 33K miles. It's been sitting, outdoors, for 5 years. My first order(s) of business:

+ All fluids serviced, grease...whatever they will do as basic service at the shop. Are you going to perform all the work?
+ Find a replacement mirror for the passenger side - lower/convex portion only. I'm seeing 'Velvac' as a price friendly option.
+ Replace the backup camera system. That 6 inch black and white screen won't cut it and I'm assuming the camera itself could use an upgrade. I replaced mine with one from RV Cam https://www.rvcams.com/ I got this one https://www.rvcams.com/p/1/70-CH.html
+ Roof reseal - planning to do this myself - am I crazy?
+ Generator isn't running. Seller is CONVINCED it just needs a new/cleaned carb as he is aware that he put bad gas in it and then...got sick and stored it that way...for 5 years. But right now there's no spark. I've got new plugs to try first. Hoping I can get it running on my own as I've heard it's going to get pricey at the shop. Onan 7000. So its a propane generator? I have parts of a service manuals for a different model that has troubleshooting section if you want them.
+ Have a leak in the right rear leveling jack. Hoping it doesn't break the bank to get that patched. Could be something as simple as the leg needing grease, if it has a Zirk fitting installed at the bottom of the cylinder.
+ The engine seems to run strong and sound good (people who know tell me it sounds good). But I noticed a 'rattle' after I did the hour drive home. It appears to be coming from a pulley/belt attached at the top rear of the engine...connected to the AC compressor. I have no idea yet what that pulley/belt is for but it looks pretty accessible and I'm being optimistic that I can do it myself. While I'm at it...that AC Compressor also looks very accessible and the dash AC isn't working...I'm not sure yet that it's the compressor but, if it is...maybe another self repair. Lots of postings here about air conditioner compressors and/or the clutch pully freezing up and eventually breaking the drive belt.
+ Need to either do maintenance on or replace the ladder - tbd.
+ Missing a storage door latch...
+ Steps stopped working...motor? TBD Currently I just detached the pin to the motor to strap the steps up for transport. Fuse? Connector? Bad ground? Steps need lubrication? Switches (off and on switch and the door sensor switch)?

My list is much longer than that...yikes...but those are my priorities at the moment...before I even get to solar and cosmetics/remodel. I have a LOT of work to do but plan to do a lot AFTER I hit the road (October). Did I mention I've had enough of winter?

I don't want to misuse the forum or start inappropriate conversations in this new member section. But until I find the time to properly navigate the site and get to the proper/existing posts...any input, suggestions, warnings...about my priorities above are much appreciated.

I am BRAND NEW to the RV world and jumping in the deep end. Fear be damned.

Good luck and ask anything. Blue comments are my responses.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote