RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
New RVer in Wilson, NC

Greetings and blessings from our hearts to yours! My Bride, Kate and I, Kevin are looking to make our first purchase of a Class A RV and we are bug-eyed from looking at RVs for the last ten days. We are infants in this part of our life but we are very seasoned by our 60+ years of living. To make this short and manageable: we are seriously looking at making an offer on a 2001 National Caribbean 4341 Diesel Pusher. It has been listed by DMV as a salvage RV but there is no sign of any reason for the listing. There are some minor signs of water damage on the roof but those are very minor and the owner has caulked the fiberglass roof at the seams and said there was not sign of leaks since. I have started reading up on what North Carolina DMV says about salvage vehicles and how they may be relisted as rebuilt or repaired or some term they use. Also, I need to see just what I can do to get this RV fully insured. NC has some very strange ways with insurance companies. So, Kate and I want to say hello and hope we can meet some of you in this new adventure of RVing! Any suggestions about this vehicle or NCDMV that may help us to make this a fun adventure and reduce our risk is appreciated!
Cowboy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good info to share. Before you sign up or put money down have the rig inspected by a certified inspector (yours not the sellers inspector).

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Sometimes theft recoveries get a salvage title, but given the flooding in your area over the last couple of years, I'd guess it was at least partly submerged. See any indication underneath? look for silt in all the bays, or pay to have the rear end cover pulled (if it has one) or bore-scoped - if it's been in deep enough water there will be evidence inside the rearend. Silt here and there in hard to get at places is a dead giveaway.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome to RV'ing! As the previous poster suggested, get a 2nd opinion from an expert. I suggest hiring a reputable diesel chassis mechanic. Have him go through everything below the interior floor line - the areas that could have been under water. Remember, the previous owner was nervous enough to have his insurance company declare the coach a total loss. Keep that in mind.

I'd also suggest keeping a budget of say another $10k on hand for replacement of batteries and tires, plus full service of engine, chassis service, radiator flush, Generator service, brake service, hydraulic systems service, water leak fixes, hoses and any unforeseen issues. It is unknown how this coach was cared for, so you'll want to establish a baseline to feel good about heading out.

You may want to repost in the National RV Owners group on this site. They will no doubt have much insight into this particular model.

Lastly, keep in mind that chassis service work on DP's is much higher than for gas engine MH's. You are at the low end budget for DP's, so might consider gassers.

Best of luck, and keep us posted how it goes!
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #5

Regardless of what you buy, in your part of NC I'd put up a heavy-duty RV cover - something that can withstand a catagory 2, well away from any trees, and when a catagory 2 comes, take the RV and bug out to Tennessee.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Kevin & Kate! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would be really cautious about that rig! That designation wasn't put on it for nothing!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
We offered and they accepted! WOO-HOOO!

Having that burst out my Bride and I need to know what to do next. The owners of the 2001 National Caribbean motor home accepted our offer and I have an insurance quote to cover us but we are still shopping around for better rates and could use some help from those who are seasoned RVers. We are shopping for a diesel mechanic RV mechanic for the RALEIGH, NC area that we can get to check this out. We have someone we trust to check out the AC/heat and propane systems. We want to replace the tires with new ones to be sure we don't have issues there and while they are off check out the brake pads. Where to get that done and what kind of tires to look for is our question. What kind of money are we looking at here? We have an outside storage facility and they are reasonable. I read that there is an RV safety class we should take. 😳 Can anyone explain about that or is it just about educating ourselves to be a smarter driver/operator in this new lifestyle we are about to embark into? Any helpful advise is appreciated. Thank you and God Bless...
Cowboy0001 is offline   Reply With Quote