Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

New Single Dad with tons of RV questions!

Single dad in South Florida really excited about the idea of a moveable home base for my son and I. I have done well in real estate and for once I took some time and spent the whole summer w my son in Georgia. We houseboated, hiked over 100miles and I truly had the best time of my life. He is almost 10 and I've gone back to long hours and hes back to school but these young years are short and it's just us two. I'm wondering why Im paying 1500 in rent every month and building no equity. I have a 2010 Yukon Xl bought and paid for, more than enough savings to purchase any travel trailer that I could tow..... I am young, and so is my son. Why can't we live in an upscale RV park every weekday and be weekend warriors every weekend? See something new while we can? I have no realistic idea of the cost and while I plan to own the trailer and i do own the tow vehicle.....what costs can I expect from full time trailer living? And am i dreaming or does it make sense that these years are precious and memories are priceless? I had such a wonderful time this summer just camping and hiking and being w my boy that I'd like to recreate that experience all year when possible. What am I missing folks?
Jharris1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome! Sounds like a great plan to me; your son is a lucky kid.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #3

Thanks

I'm the lucky one, he's a great kid and I'm blessed to be in a position to even consider this. Most people just try and get by like my family did growing up. We have an opportunity to really get out and explore this life. I'm just wondering what unforeseen costs and problems I can expect switching from apt to RV life.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a plan. Why don't you do it?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Go for it! RV parks in So. Fl are more expensive then say central Fl. However, much cheaper than $1500 @ month. We pay a monthly rate of $500 + elec around Orlando in the peak winter season. Rates are always cheaper in the off season everywhere.

You'll of course have some extra fuel expenses depending on how far and how often you leave the home base but, certainly not a concern!

The only negative I would even bring up is less living and storage space. That's just a normal part of RVing though and would be no concern of mine doing what you are about to do. You and your son will cherish these years for the rest of your lives!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Glad you are having a great time together.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTe) I have done well in real estate I'm wondering why Im paying 1500 in rent every month and building no equity.... I am young, and so is my son. Why can't we live in an upscale RV parkwhat costs can I expect from full time trailer living?

Key words here Equity,Rent,Young,Son 10,RV park,Cost and Full Time!

First you deal in realistate and have none of your own tohave equity,Second you will have no equity build up with a RV of any kind just cost with new not much for a while and living in RV park up or down scale will be problem for 10 year old dealing with "Us OLD Folk's" we would love kid at first,but older folk,s become less patient with the antics of the young and like peace and quiet,bad ideal for every day living great ideal for Summers,week ends and when ever,yes being with Son very good,but Kids need Kids and hard to find in a Park.RENT buyand build equity for you and your Son
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Hello there! Welcome to the forums!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #9

Try it for as long as it last. WE traveled extensively with our daughters and it was what memories are made of. Now grandkids are wanting to enjoy camping like Mommy did with us. Just keep in mind some of the great comments already made in this thread. Also remember it won't be but a eye blink in time before your son doesn't want to be away from his friends. You will need to be prepared for that.

What ever you do, enjoy him, love him, take plenty of pictures, and have a great time.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
~This is my experience only...I'm no Family expert, but it somewhat worked for me~

I was a single Dad for all of my 2 boys pre-teen childhood. I will strongly echo the thought about kids wanting friends their own age and wanting to be as settled as possible.

Before getting custody, I seriously looked at getting a home on wheels (my preference), but when the kids came to live permanently with me (with professional advise) I took a step back from my RV plan and got a house for the kids. We still did the tent and rental "Scamp" thing on weekends (great times!).

These are significant years in his life, so my experience is (take the advice of childhood development experts) put him first and try to be as settled as you can. In out society, settled means a purchased or rental house in a community with LOTS of families. Best of luck with your son. If you make good decisions now you may be able to avoid regrets later.

BTW, dating while being a single Dad is a strange thing. It's VERY hard, but if you put your son first and be patient, you might just find the right partner.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're really glad you joined the group! It sounds like you've got it figured out! What a wonderful way to raise a young son! I would make one suggestion though. You will get better results on your future questions if you post them over in the appropriate areas of the forum. Not too many folks hang out here. Good luck, have fun, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #12

Ok thanks for the honesty
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #13

Thank you for of your input!

It was overwhelmingly supportive and please understand I have no ridiculous ideas of being a nomad with a young child. We both have roots in the community, mine being a business and my son school and sports but I appreciate the kindred spirits who value experience and memories over equity and home ownership. We'll give it a shot.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #14

J, welcome to the forum and I think you have to do what feels right for you and your son. If traveling and camping on weekends does it then by all means do it. He may change when he gets older, but will always remember "the trips Dad and I made when I was young"....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote