Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
New to forum, not so new to RVs

Recently purchased a 1989 Rexhall Airex 27' Class A. It has sat probably half its life. And although there are over 60,000 miles on the odometer, the real good looking tires turned out to be 1989 vintage. One started coming apart after we got it home (cracks appeared, pieces starting to flake off, losing air). So a new set of tires later (all 7) and just had the brakes done (rears shot, front new pads on worn out discs, master cylinder needed work). So now it is at least driveable.
I still have to figure out the Generator as it doesn't even try to start, acts like it isnt getting power.
We have to replace the LP detector before working on the LP system, or rather finding out the condition of the LP system.
Don't know if the AC works as I don't have a 30 amp connection at home.

It has a lot of little things wrong with it, but the carpets are in great shape (still have the plugs that cover where the table legs go) the seats aren't really worn much and the mattress in the back is firm and looks almost new.

Only real damage is the paneling under the rear emergency exit window is rotted out, its there and looks okay, but don't touch it.
Some of the blinds are missing or damaged.

Need to remove the enormous PA horn behind the grill.
Removing the booster from under the dash (should be for a radio but isnt hooked to the CB)
Need to remove the CB from under the dash and mount my better one somewhere accessible but out of the way.
Need to install a rear view camera.

a lot of little things.

But owned a Class C before, and a couple travel trailers. So I am not unfamiliar with RVs.

Other than that...
I'm pushing 60, doubt I will ever be able to afford to retire, but plan on enjoying any time off I can get.
Wife is looking forward to the whole RV thing, she hasn't done this since she was a child.
*and being a smart husband, I ain't saying how old she is.
David-n-BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #2

You can get an adaotor to plug a 30 amp cord into a 20 amp outlet. Not for full time use but to run the AC and other 120 volt things to see if they work.

The generator probable starts from the house batteries. Are they there and have any power in them ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can get an adaotor to plug a 30 amp cord into a 20 amp outlet. Not for full time use but to run the AC and other 120 volt things to see if they work.

The generator probable starts from the house batteries. Are they there and have any power in them ?
Brand new house battery. Forgot that when listing what all we have gotten for it. Full charge. Generator just sits there quietly, mocking me. Battery is the size of at least 2 "normal" batteries. Had one that big in a truck I own.

I have a couple of those adapters, not sure I want to try the A/C on the 20 amp circuit from the house. Long extension cord because no nearby outlets. The house is old, the breakers are old, and tripping or overloading one is not on my agenda. Probably melt the extension cord I have, old flimsy thing.

I have to get the generator running one way or the other. so the A/C can wait until I either get the generator running or we take it on its first (with us) trip and plug in at the campground.

Everything else seems to work on AC. Lights came on, TV came on, refrigerator came on... the power/inverter got a bit warm, could be from not being used in forever. Previous owner only slept in it. Did not use it, or any functions, because they had bathroom/kitchen in the house they were renovating. I doubt the systems have seen use in a long long time.
David-n-BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on the refurbishment.

You are joining a good group of folks with good info to share.

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, rvs