Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

New to iRV2, uber-newb to RVs

I'm so new to RVing I don't even have an RV yet! My lack of knowledge is staggering. I don't even know what I don't even know, if you know what I mean!

I am shopping for my first RV. I am most interested in used Class C motorhomes.

I have been doing a LOT of reading. And a bit of looking at used RVs online. But here is something that confuses me:

Asking prices. Now I have no problem when shopping for a car. We have KBB (Kelley Blue Book) to guide us with the prices. And most people tend to accept the KBB prices, at least as a general starting point. But there is no KBB for RVs, there is the NADA Guide.

But here is what I see, almost always. Sellers list their RVs for sale for 2 or even 3 times the value that NADA says they are worth. Is the NADA Guide not to be trusted? Or are all these sellers just unable to accept that their "investment" has depreciated? Maybe it's just that my local market (NorCal / Bay Area) people have too much money and are paying too much?

I want to be a smart buyer, and not get swindled. But when I mention the NADA Guide, people get insulted and say those values are all wrong. What am I missing here? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Mudcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

People charge what the market will bear. They get insulted when they think you're talking about the NADA (National Automotive Dealers Association) pricing instead of market. In the bay area and the corridor of CA, of course everything is overpriced, in my experience. I'd sooner buy over in the Mesa area.

What you should do, is narrow it down to 2-3 brands, then the year, than 2-3 models in those brands. Type those into google, and go visit online all those rigs being sold all over the US. You'll soon get an idea of what the one you want is worth. Read every detail. I use to keep notes as there's so much to consider.

Having done what you did, spending hours and hours online researching, considering all RVs and factoring travel to get to the rig I was interested in, I finally just bought from a consignment dealer. Twice. I could see the rig, deal with the owner indirectly, make an offer, close the deal, and head home.

Life is too short to spend years looking for something 'perfect' at the perfect price because that something doesn't exist.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various threads and ask questions as they come up.

Jim has given you some good advice about pricing. Do visit as many dealers as you can to see what is out there (new and used) . Then do a nation wide search using such tools as RVTrader and get some ideas of what people are asking knowing that all prices are negotiable. It is a long process and not one that you will solve overnight.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #5

If you're looking at newer used coaches, the owners may be underwater on their 15 year, no money down loan.

If you're looking at older MHs, there can be a big difference in the value of two identical units depending on condition. Is it a pristine, one owner RV? Did it get regular maintenance and live inside when not in use? Or is it beat, needs tires, has/had water leaks, needs work before you'd trust it, etc.

Keep in mind too that the prices you see are asking prices, not selling prices.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Often the seller is upside down on the note on an RV and expect to find some one that will bail them out by over-paying them for the RV.

Truthfully used RVs will sell for Low Retail NADA Guide value with no options added in.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

Yeah I'm looking at older coaches, 10 to 20 years old. That's how I see the drastic difference between NADA value and asking price. I understand that the price is what the market will bare, but I don't really know yet what it really will. Just because people are asking $20K for $7K coaches doesn't mean that's what they are getting.

Thanks for the good advice. I appreciate it.
Mudcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #8

My take on it is that NADA is useless, particularly for older higher end coaches in good condition. NADA is at best a generalized depreciation schedule, and at worst is way worse than that.

I will use my coach as an example, it is a 28 ft 2002 Safari Trek on a P32 chassis, NADA considers every coach under 30 ft built on the P32 Chassis built between 1997-2002 to be worth the exact same $15,150 average retail, it does not matter if the coach is a entry level Fleetwood flair with a base original MSRP of $53,000 or a Safari Trek with a base MSRP of $109,000, to NADA they are all worth $15,150, worse yet they have been worth that $15,150 since at least 2016 when I was shopping for my coach.

Note I paid $20,500 for mine after negotiating the price down from $25,000, this was after 5-6 months of shopping within about a thousand mile radius of where I live, and am still happy with what I paid, of course it was fairly well maintained , and updated with over $10,000 in parts and upgrades put into in in the preceding 2 years by the previous owner, including new refrigerator, inverter, tires, batteries, seating, carpet, suspension upgrades, ...
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcamper View Post
I'm so new to RVing I don't even have an RV yet! My lack of knowledge is staggering. I don't even know what I don't even know, if you know what I mean!

I am shopping for my first RV. I am most interested in used Class C motorhomes.

I have been doing a LOT of reading. And a bit of looking at used RVs online. But here is something that confuses me:

Asking prices. Now I have no problem when shopping for a car. We have KBB (Kelley Blue Book) to guide us with the prices. And most people tend to accept the KBB prices, at least as a general starting point. But there is no KBB for RVs, there is the NADA Guide.

But here is what I see, almost always. Sellers list their RVs for sale for 2 or even 3 times the value that NADA says they are worth. Is the NADA Guide not to be trusted? Or are all these sellers just unable to accept that their "investment" has depreciated? Maybe it's just that my local market (NorCal / Bay Area) people have too much money and are paying too much?

I want to be a smart buyer, and not get swindled. But when I mention the NADA Guide, people get insulted and say those values are all wrong. What am I missing here? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Now before we start to know most larger RV dealerships offer free RV drivers training classes a one day. Also when you buy a person will do a walkthrough so make sure you videotape for future playbacks. YOUTUBE.COM has a lot of walkthroughs or overviews.

The floor plan is always the first place to start. Looking at a floor plan ask yourself if it will work for you both? this is a big deal.

That is a BIG step knowing you want or at least looking at Class C type RV. Next, you want to know if you want a DRY BATH or WET BATH? In your Home is a DRY BATH as you can use the sink and other stuff without getting it all wet.

I'm not an RV Dealer, just an RV lover having owned many types.
Also check your area for RV SHOWS and go to them here in Florida in January is the BIG RV Supershow in Tampa, Florida on or about Jan 9th, I think. GOOD LUCK were all here to help just ask.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many in your crew...wife, kids, pets, guests...do you anticipate. Occasional 2-3 day outings or a serious 1-2-3 month trip ? Probably a gas engine unit will be easier to fix on the road as opposed to a foreign diesel engine. There is a website from a big dealer that shows selling prices, not just asking. I forget, but someone will chime in.

Are you handy in automotive and handyman skills ? You might consider a service contract if your rig is under 12+ years old. After that no one will sell you one. Have you rented any yet ? You should do this to see if you really want to buy an RV.

A good price is the amount the buyer and seller can agree on. All the rest is background noise. I would try to buy locally from a dealer as an off-the-street person looking for service is pushed to the bottom of the list. Find a experienced RV mobile mechanic and an auto mechanic to check out a unit you have zeroed in on. Do most of your negotiating via email or fax so it is in writing .....and no misunderstandings as well as no in person shouting or fistfights.

Tags
rvs