Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

New (to me) RV that needs some help.

Hello iRV2 forum.

My 2 brothers & I bought 1990 Mallard Sprinter 27' RV. We got a good deal on it and it had low miles. Engine & Batteries are good.

First the essentials.
It wasn't garage kept for several years. Needs some inside, outside and mechanical love. Needs tires, wipers and the canopy is useable but not the prettiest. Carpet & Ceiling needs cleaned up/shampooed (There was minor water leakage in the roof before it was later repaired).

So, What's preventing us from getting on the road?
Generator needs fixed (doesn't seem to be getting fuel)?
The main cabin A/C unit works (when we're plugged in). The dash A/C unit needs charged up we think? The electrical inside works (when we're plugged in) except for the back bedroom lights for some reason? Bath & Shower haven't been completely check yet.

Any helpful thoughts are welcome. This is the first RV we've owned.
tplevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

How much gas in the tank? The generator pick in the tank is placed so it stops drawing fuel when tank is about 1/4 full. If you have fuel, then check fuel filter on generator. Remove gas line and blow back into the tank. If it isn't blocked or disconnected, you should hear bubbles.

Electricity should be controlled at main panel, turn off circuit breakers then turn back on. If still no lights, then you might have a loose connection in the main panel, switch, or at the light itself. I don't think it's a GFI, although be aware that often they 'daisy chain' an outlet through the GFI outlet so that it goes dead when GFI is tripped at other location.

Good luck with your new RV!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tplevel View Post
Hello iRV2 forum.

My 2 brothers & I bought 1990 Mallard Sprinter 27' RV. We got a good deal on it and it had low miles. Engine & Batteries are good.

First the essentials.
It wasn't garage kept for several years. Needs some inside, outside and mechanical love. Needs tires, wipers and the canopy is useable but not the prettiest. Carpet & Ceiling needs cleaned up/shampooed (There was minor water leakage in the roof before it was later repaired).

So, What's preventing us from getting on the road?
Generator needs fixed (doesn't seem to be getting fuel)?
The main cabin A/C unit works (when we're plugged in). The dash A/C unit needs charged up we think? The electrical inside works (when we're plugged in) except for the back bedroom lights for some reason? Bath & Shower haven't been completely check yet.

Any helpful thoughts are welcome. This is the first RV we've owned.

I'd pay a little attention to the minor roof leak. Many times they can look 'minor' but have caused a lot of hidden damage.

The generator usually draws fuel form the main fuel tank, and the pickup line ends at about 1/4 tank. This is so your generator cant run you out of fuel. The main effect is, the generator runs out of fuel when then main fuel tank is at 1/4, so if you have less than 1/4 tank of fuel, the genny gets no gas.

The lights are likely 12V and are powered by the converter when you are plugged in. Check the fuse block for a popped 12V fuse.

As far as getting on the road, have a look at the tires, if they are original to the coach, they should be replaced. Check all rubber hoses, belts, etc. Change oil, filters, all the usual mechanical stuff.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind that your 12V and 120V are completely different systems. You have to have a converter to "change" the 120V to 12V. All of your lights should be 12V. If you don't have 12V except when plugged in, you probably have a battery disconnect that is off, bad battery(s), or bad converter.

On the generator you may have low fuel, clogged filter or electrical problems. If you can get to the generator air cleaner, try squirting some starter fluid in and see if it will start.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
from NH.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Welcome to the group fellow Mallard owner. I have an 89 Mallard which I have some of the manuals for I will be scanning them soon, so if you need them let me know.. have any pictures of your new addition to the family ? I would love to see what the interior is supposed to look like ! mine was purchased gutted so I have been putting her back to good health.

I know mine the 12V did not have a house Battery in the box when I got it but once I installed one all my 12V came back to life. also keep in mind if yours is set up like mine once you get that genny running you will need to plug your shore line into the 30a receptacle that is behind the same door as the cord thats the generator connection (at least on mine).
If I can be of any assistance please let me know with mine all torn apart I can see where all the wiring goes if you need to chase something.
74 Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
sounds like you have your pit crew assembled and the rig to go with it. Plan your work and work your plan. Take pictures and post your progress in the appropriate forums. Many DIYers here to bounce questions off of - who also love to help and view those pics!
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Howdy from NYC and SC and welcome to the forums. Good luck on getting you MH back in shape!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't answer your questions, but I would suggest that you will get the best results if you post questions over in the specific areas of the forum. Not many folks hang out here in the Welcome area so your responses will be limited. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote