Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #1

Thumbs up New To this site

Well after reading all the post on here for a couple of weeks I had to join. A Month ago I got my self an old Mallard 30 ft. Motorhome. I really like it. It has been well taken care of. And seems to be built well. I was an air Craft Mechanic In the Air Force so I am not over whelmed with anything on this thing. But there is a lot I need to learn. I already installed a Third battery is one of them AGM batteries. I am looking at installing Solar. I was sad to winterize this week. I blow out the water lines but to me I felt better to have antifreeze in the hot water lines and water heater so yes I put like 11 gallons of antifreeze in. I hope that will not hurt anything when it comes time to clean it out. Gray and Black water tanks emptied. And tonight I will clean out the Black water tank and then empty it again. Installing a back up camera tonight. Oh If anyone is interested Manards had Antifreeze on sales so was only like $2.50 a gallon. Going to look at Harborfrieght parking lot sale this weekend for solar panels but the quality of Harbor freight stuff is not the greatest so not sure If that is a good ideal. My Defroster and engine heater does not work is the only thing that was wrong with this motorhome. Is an atwood. K had maybe be to much coffee so I better stop now before I talk my head off on here. Feel free to ask me anything and I am glad to be on here. Peace
Elecmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club

Glad you joined

You did not have to fill the HWH next time just bypass the lines in the back by a kit or make a pipe with 2 elbow fittings to connect hot and cold you will have to flush it out good in the spring. If you run into any more snags just ask
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #3

Welcome to the board!
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum. I worked on A7's when in the Navy. You can winterize with about 2 gallons of AF. You just have to drain the hot water tank and put the AF in all the traps and lines.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like you and your RV are a good match.

It is always great to use your skills in a slightly different way. My DH was a boiler technician in the Navy & has always had a boat & trailer, so TT maintenance is just another way to take care of things.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! Always nice to have more experience here. There are lots of kind and helpful folks eager to help should you ever need it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Enjoy your stay here and you will find all sorts of info and shortcuts in maintaining your motorhome. Enjoy and welcome to group.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I too get too much coffee overload sometimes in the morning!

Welcome aboard and enjoy! There is a rich background of knowledge here and the folks are great! I hope you enjoy it as much as I and keep us posted.

Also, post some pictures of your new 'baby'! I love pictures!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #9

Thanks for the ideals anything I hear helps. It does have hot water heater by pass but I still to fill the all the lines and the tank I love this thing and I did not mind spending the money for all the antifreeze but like I said thanks any I am glad to hear and ideals. Glad to be on here looks like a lot of good people on here. Also if I can try to help someone let me know. keep it on the road. Peace
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #10

I forgot to add Thanks to all who welcomed me.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy the site. Congrats on the Mallard puchase and hope you enjoy all your future travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you decided to go ahead and join the bunch here! Congrats on the new rig! I'm sure you will have it in tip-top shape in no time at all! Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #13

Well I over looked the age of the tires cause I just wanted it so much and was to much in a hurry. The problem is they look just fine to me but they are just about 9 years old and I read that no matter what type motorhome tires are only good for 7 years. I want to be safe and I know of course new tires are better then old. Any buddy have any input I would be glad to hear what you have to say about this. Also I am looking at Satillite internet service and of course hardware. I know I can use my Verizon USB wireless modum but would like more speed as I have never been really happy with there service. I do watch movies using my Computer Netflix. So if anyone has a service they are happy with I would be interested. I like to write songs while on the road in the RV and I use the computer to send songs to my friends and band members but yes I still fine lots of time for the camp fire and swimming and things like that. This sight sure is interesting I love it and I love my Motorhome. Peace
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elecmusic View Post
Well I over looked the age of the tires cause I just wanted it so much and was to much in a hurry. The problem is they look just fine to me but they are just about 9 years old and I read that no matter what type motorhome tires are only good for 7 years. I want to be safe and I know of course new tires are better then old. Any buddy have any input I would be glad to hear what you have to say about this. Also I am looking at Satillite internet service and of course hardware. I know I can use my Verizon USB wireless modum but would like more speed as I have never been really happy with there service. I do watch movies using my Computer Netflix. So if anyone has a service they are happy with I would be interested. I like to write songs while on the road in the RV and I use the computer to send songs to my friends and band members but yes I still fine lots of time for the camp fire and swimming and things like that. This sight sure is interesting I love it and I love my Motorhome. Peace
Welcome to the forum. You are correct; 9 year old tires need replacing no matter how good they look.

May I suggest that you post your other questions in the appropriate areas of the forum so that you can get better responses than here in the "Introduction" area. Check out this section for info about technology...internet, TV, etc. Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. - iRV2 Forums