Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #15

KOA is great, we paid $35.00 for yearly membership using our AAA and stayed 3 days for $30.00 a day in the KEYS.
They had everything on the grounds, granddaughters swam with the Daulphins for $7.00 for 2 hours, they take Military discount, AARP
Dreamer317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
from WA State! I think you'll need to find a really cheap area to live to get into your price range. Out here $600 a month is cheap.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately there aren't many place anywhere as I have been pricing. The RV Parks are ripping people and they either don't care or feel there is nothing they can do. Most prices today are about 10 times what they were in 1950-60's. Back then I lived in 3 different mobile home parks that offered most of the amenities you see in RV parks today and the rent was $20.00 per month. So today it should be around 200-300 not twice that and even more in many places.
Also many parks are ripping you on electric charges. I just discovered a park that is charged 6.9 cents per klw for first 1000 klw and then 8 cents for each 1000 after. The park is charging .15 per klw period ! That's about twice what the park pays !
The state of Florida Public Service Commission says they don't have authority over RV parks. Isn't that special?
I may have my problem solved as my son indicates he wants to buy a piece of property for me to park this money machine. I have a lot of work to research.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Warmest regards,
Tom
THartshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #17

We are selling our home so yes, that has been our main concern long term, and a place just 10 miles from us wants $350.00 a week plus electric down further is another place that charges $375.00 a month everything included. There isn't a KOA near us and we have to stay close till the house sales.
We live in Hendry County Florida
Old 07-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer317 View Post
KOA is great, we paid $35.00 for yearly membership using our AAA and stayed 3 days for $30.00 a day in the KEYS.
They had everything on the grounds, granddaughters swam with the Daulphins for $7.00 for 2 hours, they take Military discount, AARP
Thank you for your reply. I have researched all over and find most RV parks that are decent charge about $500. per month and up for full time year round residents. The overnight price is higher per day, but the full time year around resident is discounted to about the above prices. You can find many for $300. per month but so far I haven't found many I would put my wife in and feel secure. I know a business is in business to make money but not twice and more.
Thank you again for your input.
Warmest regards,
Tom
Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #19

Quote:
We are selling our home so yes, that has been our main concern long term, and a place just 10 miles from us wants $350.00 a week plus electric down further is another place that charges $375.00 a month everything included. There isn't a KOA near us and we have to stay close till the house sales.
We live in Hendry County Florida
Wow $350. per week - $1400 per month - which they may discount a little for full time. The problem will be unless you stay there full time- year round then you get no discounts. I have seen prices up in the thousands per month. GO to a National Park and get a Golden Pass for $10. which allows you free admission to any National Park. Many don't have dumps for sewage so that may be a hindrance, but overall a lot cheaper than parks.
If I knew all this before I purchased a RV I would have stayed in my house and rented a RV when I wanted to camp. I was not astute in researching but caved to emotion and purchased a Class A RV which ended up too small to live in full time so I traded for a 5th wheel. The 5th wheel is the roomiest unless you can afford a class A that costs 0ver $300,000.
I may have my problem solved - I am buying 5 acres and putting a pad - electric, etc. and pay myself rent.
Thanks again for your thoughts. If you like write me again as I know a lot of things NOT TO DO when RVing.
Warmest Regards,
Tom
Old 07-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
How did you get that KOA for $35? The KOA card gives a 10% discount, and Sugarloaf Key runs between about $60 and $100/night.
oatmeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #21

Thanks Tom,
$375.00 a month is great it's less than my electric bill is now.
They are pet friendly, and close to town. I'll take you up on the offer for advise.
Safe Travles Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0333.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	168926
Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #22

With our AAA card, there was 6 of us 3 dogs pulled in Friday, Saturday, Sunday, left Monday my daughter paid but gave me the receipt for my scrap book, $30.00 a day.
They might have used his Military discount I'd have to look.
Safe Travels
Old 07-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #23

Quote:
With our AAA card, there was 6 of us 3 dogs pulled in Friday, Saturday, Sunday, left Monday my daughter paid but gave me the receipt for my scrap book, $30.00 a day.
They might have used his Military discount I'd have to look.
Safe Travels
Please do look. Since it's a KOA, I wouldn't be surprised if the $30 a day is just the upcharge for the three dogs.

I am a little confused because you originally said something about using your AAA for a yearly membership (presumably a KOA card). I'm not aware of discounts for the KOA card, but maybe they have that one. And now you're saying it might be a military discount?

Regardless, I'd like to see just what combination of discounts would yield a daily charge of $30 on weekend for 6 people and 3 dogs at any KOA, much less one in the Keys.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #24

Ok, my daughter & son-in-law got us the membership, I gave them my AAA card, he is a former Navy Seal that is what I ment about Military discount. I broke my arm, leg and a couple of ribs so haven't been able to find the receipt. We are going to NY Sunday and daughter has booked an KOA she said for $40.00 a day, I guess it depends on location.
Safe Travles
Old 07-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #25

Dreamer317, I gather you're not the one who usually makes the campground arrangements. I think you'll find that most people, when talking about pricing, would not agree with your original statement that "Koa is great."

KOA tends to be the most expensive choice among regular campgrounds (I'm not including the "motorcoach resorts"). $40/night is on the low end of KOA rates these days, and it's usually a lot higher in desirable locations.

Generally, you can get only one discount applied, and it's typically for 10% off the nightly rate. So even if you have both a Good Sam and a AAA membership, you'll still get only a 10% discount.

And with KOA, they use the KOA value kard, which costs $30/year and is good only at KOA campgrounds. I've never heard of combining, say, a AAA membership and a KOA value kard to get more than the standard 10% discount.

I just looked at the Sugarloaf Key KOA website and sites there are around $100/night. With the KOA kard it would be $90. I just don't see how it could be $30.

However, I did notice that their standard rate includes 6 adults, which is pretty generous; many campgrounds include only two people in the base rate, and charge more for each additional person.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #26

You are correct, I didn't make the arrangements, but I did see the statement, I don't know what to say.
Safe Travles
Victoria

Tags