Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #1

I have a 96 Monaco with the 8.3 engine and I have a dead tach and I’m not charging my alternator is external regulated my question is where does the alternator get power from ....the big post has no power ?
96monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #2

Maybe your Alternator is not charging the Batteries???
Is that what you wanted to say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96monaco View Post
I have a 96 Monaco with the 8.3 engine and I have a dead tach and I’m not charging my alternator is external regulated my question is where does the alternator get power from ....the big post has no power ?
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #3

If you have a battery isolator, there may not be power on the big stud on the alternator.

It does need a battery signal to one of the small wires. Either to the alternator or regulator.

Is the voltage regulator on the back of alternator or mounted remotely ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #4

Thank you twin boat mine is remote mounted and it has power to 2of the wires one key hit one hot all of the time and a ground
Old 04-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #5

Probably bad alternator.

If you know where the isolator is, you can jump the center to one outside terminal, while the engine is running and see if it charges.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #6

If I jump the isolator it will charge I wasn’t sure about the alternator wiring I can’t find a diagram for my alt it’s a power line thanks again for your help I appreciate it
Old 04-06-2020, 03:53 AM   #7

If you jump the isolator and it charges its not a bad alternator.

The isolator is a electric check valve. Power can only go in the center and out both sides. No other direction.

You have a bad isolator, easy to test, or you have a wiring problem.

The alternator output wire goes to the center tap of the isolator and each side tap goes to a battery, house/ chassis.

Remove the center wire and with a diode tester, common in most multimeters, test from center to right and center to left terminals. Red probe on center, black probe on right or left, meter should beep.
Black on center, red right or left, no beep.
If no beep either way, bad isolator.

Google testing battery isolator for best instructions.

If isolator tests good, wiring to alternator or regulator is at fault OR someone replaced the alternator with wrong one.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #8

So my big question is does anyone have a diagram of the alternator and the regulator so I can figure out where I’m supposed to power to the alternator I can’t seem to find anything about it and I don’t have the manual for this coach
Old 04-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #9

Ok twinboat I pulled the alternator off to clean all connections reinstalled it still no charge tested all wires there is no power going to the alternator I tested the fuses and found the the small fuse that feeds the alternator relay has no power to it now I’m struggling to find were that fuse gets power from also it will not charge if I jump the isolator any help would great

Tags