Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #1

Smile Newbie From Chicago

Hi Folks,

Looking forward to interacting with all you veterans on this site.

I just bought a 2007 Thor Dutchmen 31P with 7000 miles and 11 hours on the generator. Until I can get to the point where I can use it on a pretty regular basis, I have entered it in the rental program at the dealership where I bought it.

Two days after we did the paperwork, some small get-it-up-and-running repairs were being done, and the dealer called to tell me it was leaving the next day for a ten-day trip to Yellowstone! Wow, that will more than cover my start-up repair expenses and make a dent on the price of the tires I'm going to need to buy.

Great start, huh? This is going to be fun.
GC Rapidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #2

I would not want some total stranger using my RV, especially if they had no clue as to what they were doing.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jay;

Welcome to iRV2. We are glad you joined us. Post often and share your RV adventures. I am especially interested to know how this RV rental program works out for you. I rented out my RV once for a week. That was the last and only time I tried it. I believe people unfamiliar on care of RVs don't take proper care of them.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I would not want some total stranger using my RV, especially if they had no clue as to what they were doing.

Joel
It's not exactly like I have bonded with my new rig. I've driven two miles in it, and have done nothing to personalize it. I know my dealer will give all renters thorough directions on how to use the rig and all the systems. By the time this renter gets back, he'll know more about it than I do.

It's easy to get past the "my" thing when I think about how these folks will help pay for the rig until I can get a chance to use it more often with a goal of someday joining the ranks of the full-timers.

Anyway, thanks, Joel, for the warm welcome.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Jay;

Welcome to iRV2. We are glad you joined us. Post often and share your RV adventures. I am especially interested to know how this RV rental program works out for you. I rented out my RV once for a week. That was the last and only time I tried it. I believe people unfamiliar on care of RVs don't take proper care of them.

Don
Thanks, Don. I will try to do that from time to time. If I forget, feel free to remind me.

I'm hoping to give my rig a 3-week run myself in late October with a Yosemite-area trip. I also hope to head south January for a month on the road.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

I wouldn't let a family member borrow my RV much less rent it. There is way too much to know for a beginner to take one of these on a long trip. I still make mistakes and I've been doing this almost 30 years.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jay! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the crew!

Congrats on the new rig! Hope you enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

Welcome.

I'm a newbie (to the site) too. No, I would not rent my rig to anyone. Yes, the dealer may train the user but they have no stake in the RV other than their trip. They may mis-use it and you may not find out until later.

My mother loaned her RV to a friend and it came back with broken furniture. They explained it was an accident and stated how sorry they were but they never paid to fix it. I know this is a rental and there will be a damage fee but just to know someone may not use it the way you you would use it.

I hope it works for you. On the other hand, this could be a business for you.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From NH.
I'm curious as to who handles the insurance and registration on your rental coach. If you are liable for both you had better check with your insurance company to make sure it is covered with your present policy. In any case I wish you luck and hope it is works well for you. Just not something I'd consider.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #11

I don't want to steer this thread off-topic, to each his own. However, one of the main reasons I bought an RV is because I HATE staying in a hotel room. You have no idea what's gone on in there. A rental RV is no different.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #12

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
From NH.
I'm curious as to who handles the insurance and registration on your rental coach. If you are liable for both you had better check with your insurance company to make sure it is covered with your present policy. In any case I wish you luck and hope it is works well for you. Just not something I'd consider.
Thanks, Bruce and to the others who have welcomed me but have shared their personal views on renting the rig, I do hear you, and I do understand that this will be an adventure for me, and will have its ups and downs.

Based on all this feedback and dire predictions, I have decided to publish a blog to share with any who are interested, the ups and downs of renting my rig.

Those in the "I told you so" faction may have a chance to do so, and those are just generally interested in seeing how it goes will be able to follow along.

To check in and read the first entries in the blog, go to Trials and Tribulations of Renting My Dutchmen

Feel free to comment, I've got a lot to learn.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #13

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
From NH.
Sorry, Bruce. In my last quote, I actually forgot to answer your question. This is an issue that has been addressed many times by the people at Hometown RV.

First of all, I have an addition to my auto policy just like you do that covers me whenever I drive the rig. When someone rents the rig, they need to get with their insurance agent for full coverage as required by my agency, and they need to present a certificate of coverage before they can drive away. Hometown RV has been in business for many years and they do know how to do this.

I appreciate the concerns in this area, and as I go, I will learn more about it.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live close to Yosemite and there's a chance you'll see snow. It's best to have reservations if you are in the Yosemite area.

Have you planned a route yet?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags