Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #1

Newbie from GA - Full Time Questions

Hi new from GA,

I've tried searching the forum don't want to be that annoying guy asking questions, that have been asked 1000 times.

A little about why I've joined. I'm seeking advice for a first time "full-timer".
Me and the wife have 3 kids. We are in the process of looking for a RV to full time for the next 2-3 years. Kids ages 1-6.
Finances are really a non issue besides having a budget. ( VA disability + a retirement pension).

We are not really traveling to start, we will be placing it in families back yard that has water hookup and septic hookup. ( we would like to travel during the summer months and take the kids road tripping.

So far we have been looking at 5th wheels around 39+ ft. Borrowing family members f350 diesel to bring it to beginning site.

Only real want list so far are ( washer and dryer hookups, full size fridge, bunk beds, 4 seasons package, waste pump)

I understand nowadays you get what you pay for and nothing is built to last. I am very hands on when it comes to fixing things, not much i can't fix( be it past knowledge or YouTube).

What i hoping to learn is basically anything related to (not to do's). Brands to look out for such as Thors. < parents owned one for a few years bought brand new... man that thing was junk. class a Motor home from Thor.

Kid friendly full timing tricks and tips.
Comforts to look for you never realized you needed.

sure there is a bunch more i don't even know i need to know. So lay it on me, whether it be links to threads with good info or personal exp.
thatsall08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I don't think you will go wrong looking at a 5er for the family. We pulled a 36' Cedar Creek for 10 years before getting the MH. Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #3

Welcome! Can't help in the 'family' area but I just Googled '5th Wheel for Families' and this site and many others came up to give you an idea of what's out there. Some come with 3 bunk beds which would be perfect for you. Since you're not going to be traveling much I think you should focus on a 5th wheel rather than a motorhome. Good luck!

https://trekkn.co/5th-wheel-bunkhouse-trailers/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add info if you can.

I agree a 5th wheel may be the way to go. Look very carefully at the floor plan and quality of finish.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #5

As per the other coments 5th Wheel will give you the best bang for your buck and tons or potential space for you and your family , plus i am sure some creative storage ideas can make it a perfect home for you and your family.. Size your tow vehicle accordingly.

Check you tube tons of full time Rver's with family

quick search ..

this one has like 6 mill views

good luck..
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:11 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. Just an update. The wife wants to buy new, i am trying to convince her to buy a 5 yr old model. I think we both have settled on forest river and have come to like the wildwood 42dl or the salem 372lok.

Quick question though, i have noticed through research that the 1st 5 years are where most rv's depreciate the most. Not including motor homes. So is it truely worth it to shoot for a 5 yr old 5th wheel or destination trailer. Seeing as most of the manufacturer errors will have came to light by then as well.
thatsall08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags