Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newbie in Indiana

Hello everybody!!
I joined the forum after the FMCA rally in Indpls in Sept.I am certainly glad I did. I talked my wife into going to the show to look at RVs and she really got involved.It seems that all RV people we meet have just been great.
We have now driven around Indiana and looked at several used units.WE have driven a number of older diesels.As yet we have not driven a gasser.
DW just retired this year and I own my own business and can take some time off so we are looking at some traveling.I dislike motels so I have always wanted to go the RV way. I think a Class A. It was suggested to look at Class C and Fifth-wheel but we have decided on the Class A.The gas or diesel is still up in the air!! I want a diesel pusher if I can find one I can feel comfortable with.The budget dictates a top end of only around $60000 but I would love to get a good older well maitained unit for less---would'nt we all!!
If I find a unit that I feel will hold its value I could probably even spend more but my big fear is spending too much and then having expensive repairs and maintenance.
I know this forum has probably kept me from making some big mistakes already like tires codes and chassis info but at the same time I am finding it hard to pull the trigger as I read about different problems and all the maintenance required. I do appreciate all the knowledge and the helpful attitudes.
Hope to announce a new rig soon. We would like to vacation in Fl this Feb.If anybody knows of a good used MH close to Indiana give us a shout!!
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
If I find a unit that I feel will hold its value I could probably even spend more but my big fear is spending too much and then having expensive repairs and maintenance.
There is no such thing as a RV that will hold it's value.
They are a depreciating item.

In the 10 years I have owned mine. It has depreciated around 60K. But I knew that from the start it would. I bought it used 3 years old for around 40K less then the original owner paid when new.

Buy the one you like the floor plan in. And the engine will already be in it, either gas or diesel.Since you already drove a couple diesels and no gas MH yet.
It will probably only take one test drive in a gas one to put you back looking for a DP.

Good Luck
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #3

Hi Darkism,
Welcome to the group. It is a big decision between a gass or DP. I'm a retired truck driver and have diesel in my blood. But if you don't travel often you better think long about a DP. They need to be run often and I mean on the road. They also cost about double in regular oil changes and up keep. Tires are larger and more $. So do you homme work and use your head. Someone told me once, "if you buy a used DP, plan on spending another $10,000 to make sure everything is road wothy" That was good advice and proved to be true. Best to you and HAPPY RVing!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you with us! Good luck on finding the right rig for your needs! Have fun & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!! we went back and forth on 5th vs motorhome and finally decided on a motorhome. we looked for most of the summer and finally found the Bounder- took awhile but was worth the wait. I knew going in it would need tires and a few minor things. tough part is we wont be able to camp in it until Spring. we have taken a few day trips and it was great to drive. good luck with the search!
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafter View Post
They need to be run often and I mean on the road. They also cost about double in regular oil changes and up keep. Tires are larger and more $.
What happens if they aren't run often? Engines seize up? No longer will get over 5000,000 miles? Get oil leaks?

Farmers don't seem to have problems with their farm equipped diesel engines sitting for months at a time.

It hasn't seemed to cause a problem with mine, that has sit for 7 months a year for over the last 10 years now.

Diesel engines don't have to change oil as often as a gas. Some can go to 15,000 miles before a change. Some gas owners may change their oil & filter maybe 3 times in 15,000 miles. And may use more oil then my 17 qt for one change and 2 less filters.

There are many gas MH with 22.5" rims the same as a DP.

If you do spend a little more on diesel maintenance it may be well worth it for a quieter ride, smoother air bag ride, exhaust brake going down hills, in most cases more CCC, better MPG, more torque etc.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Triker56--- Thanks for reply.I started this RV hunt several months ago with the notion in mind that I would skip some of the transistional phases that I have heard others testify to.I have read many posts and talked to many people who say they wish they would have bought a diesel or that their next MH will be a DP.
I realize that anything I buy won't "hold" its value, but what in my original post is if I buy it "right" I may not lose too much if I decided to upgrade later.
Your comments just echo what my opinion has been all along. ---Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
You are welcom Dakrism.
By the way I am a ex Hoosier. Lived there all my life, but left in 99 to become a Cracker when I retired.

Never did like the winters there or the state/county income tax and when they charged personal tax on MH's. One year tax on my 10-11 year old MH was more then the house I had. :(

I still visit family there every summer. And in the spring I stay a week at West Boggs for crappie fishing.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the group. There's pros and cons on both, but I'm sure when you find one that speaks to you and it'll fit your RVing style. Motorhomes are like a boat, always a way to spend money on them, gas or diesel. Buy what you want and enjoy it, the memories are always free. Goodluck in your hunt.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum. I would at least take a gasser for a drive. You can get a good Class A gasser for $60K. As mentioned earlier, one of the most important things is floorplan. Good luck...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #11

I think with your budget of $60,000 you will be able to find a VERY NICE diesel pusher. My wife and I recently purchased an RV and have been living in it full time for about 7 weeks now. We did a TON of research, and once we decided on a Class A, I drove as many used rigs locally as I could get my hands on, both gas and diesels (about 10 rigs once it was all finished). Our budget was only about a third of of yours, and we still managed to purchase a diesel pusher in good shape. We ended up with a '94 Bounder 36' with the 5.9L turbocharged Cummins and 6 speed Allison transmission. It was traded in by an older couple who was living in it full time. Luckily, they had taken very good care of it, so we ended up with an older rig in great working condition for a great price. After tax, title, and license we paid $15,400 and took the remaining $5,000 and made an "RV maintenance" savings account which we contribute to monthly or whenever we have extra cash. Considering a '94 Bounder diesel pusher cost over $90,000 new, I guess what Triker56 said is right, that RVs depreciate in value rapidly. Use that to your advantage!
Try not to get too discouraged with everything you read about maintenance and repair. I hit that point midway through the search for our rig, but I'm so glad I pushed through. All RVs need repair at some point, but it's worth it! You just need to be prepared for it mentally and financially. Just remember that all people have to do maintenance and repair on their houses and cars, and with a class A RV, you are combining living quarters and appliances with a motor vehicle, plus a multitude of components not even found in houses and cars, like slides, retractable awnings, hydraulic leveling jacks, electronic steps, air compressors, inverters, converters, etc, etc. There are just too many parts for one not to fail here and there.
Another thing I have noticed is that the newer these rigs get (same with cars), the more complex they become. I have read dozens of posts here and on the Yahoo forums from people with 1-2 year old, even brand new rigs, in need of repairs. It doesn't matter how old your rig is or what make/model, something is going to break at some point. Don't get me wrong, some of these newer coaches I see are BEAUTIFUL, but one thing we love about the Bounder is the simplicity. When we crank it up for a drive, we don't have to wait for an air compressor to pressurize air bags or brakes before we pull off. I tried to call Dometic to check if our fridge was on the list of recalled models, and they said all the recalls occured after our rig was built. Our fridge is 18 years old and runs perfectly. I like the idea of a slide, but then I'd have to to maintain it. A couple here at the park we're staying at ran out of propane when the weather was cold and couldn't pull out to go fill their tank because the hydraulic mechanism on their slide was stuck. I'm not saying an older rig is for everyone. In fact, some might find the colors/body/interior on ours to be too "retro" and possibly even ugly, but if you want simplicity you might look towards the older pushers. If I had to worry about the drive system or wind sensor going out on an electric awning, I'm not sure I'd ever get any sleep at night.
Good luck to you in your search for the perfect coach.
-Patrick
brit-n-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Brit-n-cajun---sounds like you found a good unit in your 94 Bounder.The depreciation factor that I have been using to make some offers has been like 85% off the first year and then 10% off each successive year of age. Your Bounder was right on if you figure $90000 new and 18 yrs old.
I have not had any luck making any offers yet it seems people think their units are worth way more and don't depreciate that much.I realize there has to be a point where the really high line coaches just hold their value but I have not found that point yet.Especially the dealers. Even when you say you have no trade the prices are way high!

Tags