Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Unhappy Newbie needs advice

Hi all, new to the forum and rving. Could use a little input from some of you long timers. Bought a new journey 36m in November. Had issues which delayed delivery until the end of March. Lots and lots of delivery issues, but the one that we're worried about is a roof leak. The journey was a 14 purchased at the end of the season, so the roof was probably leaking for a long time. The Winnebago rep claims that there are channels in roof where the water would run and not damage anything inside, but this is a new purchase and I'm not feeling good about the potential for wiring damage or mold/mildew or corrosion. We were so excited but it's been one issue after another and we've only had it in our hands for about a month since purchased. Rest of the time it's been in the shop! Could really use the benefit of some of your experience. Thanks in advance!
lahuss16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

If there's visible water damage in a new coach, I'd be very hesitant to just let it slide. I'd suggest talking to a lemon law attorney (although I don't believe RV's specifically fall under lemon law, they do fall under Magnusson-Moss, which says it's supposed to be fit for the purpose... and a leak would likely make it "not fit")

Steve
Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

It's not so much visible damage in the coach as it is water pooling on dash after every rain. At first we thought it was the windshield, but in looking at it closer, found the dripping was coming from the ceiling. So now we're wondering where else the water is going. There is also a fixture that keeps burning out over the one place panel, which concerns us. We were expecting to have some issues, but have had too many to list. Short list - rear slide motor replaced, steering wheel wasn't centered, plumbing leaks, broken countertop and a bunch of smaller ones that I might have expected.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Your dealer should be able to do a "seal tech" test on your coach to find the leak and fix it. No one can say whether there is hidden damage from the water, but it is imperative that the leak is found and fixed. Good luck to you; it's a shame you have been disappointed with your new RV. Welcome to iRV2.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-MT1-Mold-Detection/dp/B000HYN1DW

I'd have the coach checked for mold which will be present if you have had a leak for a long time.

It sounds like you have a leak based on the water pooling and fixture burning out.

Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

I think I would be discussing a replacement coach ... sounds like this should be returned IMO ..........
Sorry to hear .....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!

Good luck getting Winnebago to fix things properly. Our friends have a new Journey here in Florida and had to argue with Lazy Days to get all the punch items fixed. A new unit has a new warranty and the dealer/manufacturer HAS to fix everything you find. If water is pooling on the dash, then it is a big problem. If they are not willing to replace the coach, contact your attorney!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

Thanks all for your advice. Wish I could report a resolution but no luck yet. I wanted to thank all of you for sharing all of your knowledge. Any time I had a question or concern both pre and post purchase, I came here searched it and generally got an answer. Plus in our few excursions, we've always met terrific people who were always willing to help a newbie! Hope to cross paths with some of you someday.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441744240.482029.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	106318
I know my unit is a lot older then yours but this is the area the leak comes from. Water will run down the gutter and hit this area on both sides like a water hose. Get a ladder and see if your cap has sealant under it. If it is not loose and edges are sealed then I give. But if is loose but sealant under the lip. I also sealed the whole gutters on both sides and no more leaks. The front leaks caused water damage below drivers and passenger window. It was small area and I fixed it. Like I said mine is a lot older but the leaks is still in the same area.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #12

I had water entering from a crack in the bathroom skylight that would send water to the passenger side dash area. I thought that it was from the windshield but it was too far back. With a fiberglass roof and no visible cracks, I was stumped for a while until I took a look at the rear of my skylight and noticed a vertical crack in the middle that came down to the roof. I repaired it with eternabond tape and ProFlex RV sealant. No more leaks.

Tags
advice, newbie