Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #1

Newbie, planning our escape...

Hello fellow travelers,
newbie here, but I have been lurking for awhile. We own a small gas class A and love RV'ing. Mrs. M. and I are planning an early retirement and going fulltime in just a few years from now. With that decision made and now we are in the preplanning (and dreaming) stage. Looking at DPs and 5th wheels, and thinking about finances.

We have 2 young adult kids we are trying to launch, and this is proving to be the most complicated aspect strategically and emotionally.

We have already learned a ton from this list, but much is left to learn.

James
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #3

Welcome. As far as the kids are concerned. Simple. Tell them that as of December 31,2013 there will no longer be a place for them at home. It will be GONE! Pick your poison as far as RV type. Some people love their class A motor homes, others feel the same about their fifth wheels. The only advantage to a MH so far that I have seen is the ability to tow a Jeep or something similar. This past summer were we're not aboe to get to an obsidian mine because we have a 4X2 dually. But even if it was a 4X4 I would not have been able to get to the mine. Narrow road dictated a jeep or similar small vehicle. Other than that I prefer my fifth wheel. Once parked we are setup with no additional maintenance costs like a MH and toad with multiple drive trains to take care of. No matter what you think you want, once you find a floor plan you like, get rid of the salesman and go play house in It for an hour or so. You will quickly discover the little annoyances that will turn to BIG problems if you are living in it for months at a time. The one we have so far there is only two issues I would like to correct, but there will probably not be a next one for us. Unless we win the lottery.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

Those transitions can really be tough. I think getting rid of "stuff" accumulated over a lifetime is never easy either but unless you plan to keep a stick house it's probably going to be necessary. Many folks preparing to go full time put a LOT of "stuff" in storage and pay some pretty high fees... only to realize years later that they never really wanted/needed that stuff at all.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the group! We are doing the same and have our tentative launch date at 1/1/14.
Like you we lurked here for 6-8 months while searching for our Class A. We knew we were Motorhome bound (will tow a car or boat but thats it for us) so you have one big decision we didn't.

Bought the Bounder in August and been throwing stuff overboard ever since - charity - friends any one that needs it. Had our first garage sale last Saturday. Another 1 or 2 to go. Those things are hard work! We were practically a Dollar store in our pricing. Even bundeled things in plastic boxes - take it all $5. Only made $300 - lots of what didn't sell went to charity - some nicer items were left priced and put in storage tubs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1519422355.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	589.8 KB
ID:	28738

We thought we had plenty of time allocated to early retire at end of next year but working full time and trying to find time to enjoy the rv life now - it's a big push. Good luck with the hunt.

Wishing you many happy times on the road.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi James! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! Good luck on your plans to fulltime! Hope everything works out well for you. Safe travels and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags

« Hello | Hello »