Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Question Newbie Seeking Advice Re: RV Purchase

We are giving serious consideration about purchasing a Used 2000 Coachmen Santara Class A Gas 36 Ft. The unit is in very good condition, with 43,000 miles. They are asking $27,000. Can anyone provide us with some advice (hopefully based on first hand experience) about what we should look for, ask about or be concerned about as we proceed to negotiate with the dealer? Thanks
Bobster545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #2

Welcome. Be sure to check and double check that everything works. All the appliances and all systems. Check the date on the tires and if they are older than 6 years, you can bargain some more. Six tires will cost you $2000 or more. Check roof closely and check inside very closely for any signs of roof leaks. Look down the sides of the outside and look for delamination. Hard to list everything, but you get the idea.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #3

If I was spending that kind of money I would look for a local RV inspector to come take a look. I would also have your mechanic look at it. Spend $300 to $500 now and save the headache.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tires may or may not need replacing, there is NO hard and fast rule to go by. Michelin says to start having them professionally checked at 5 years and absolutely replace them at 10. We went 8˝ years on ours with no problems and I know that the fronts were overloaded according to the weight/pressure charts for all of that time.
If you're not sure what to look for then I'd hire someone to check it out. Cheaper in the long run.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
If I was spending that kind of money I would look for a local RV inspector to come take a look. I would also have your mechanic look at it. Spend $300 to $500 now and save the headache.

Good Luck
Arnold
Thanks for the great idea. Do you know how I might go about finding and RV inspector?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

Look for signs of past leaks, insist the dealer have the roof sealed, as another said check the dates on the tires and if over 5 years have the replaced, make sure you see all appliances work. If the water heater works on both gas and elec check it really does. Have the chassis inspected and serviced as required.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

here is the nada guide to esee if the asking price is in line with what it should be. If you haven't checked with this you will need a list of all the options the unit has as well as milage and condition of the equipment.
New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews & Car Buying Guides - NADAguides.com Official Site

here is a site for info about and ikbtaining a pre purchase RV survey inspection
Pre-purchase RV inspection service for motorhome and travel trailer RV buyers

good luck
Hope to see you on the road.
Penny
BPProduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #8

Check and see if there is any routine maintenance records, oil changes, transmission, rear end, etc. No records I think I would pass!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay37QSB View Post
Check and see if there is any routine maintenance records, oil changes, transmission, rear end, etc. No records I think I would pass!
I did find this morning a site to obtain an RV Vehicle History Report and got a complete report on this RV. The report was extensive and well worth the cost for the report.

https://www.rvchecks.com/ You just need to put in the VIN number and if they have a report on file you can order it.

Thanks again
Old 10-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #10

Definitely have the RV inspected if buying from dealer. Check out mechanical as well as all systems. You are more likely to get maintenance records from an individual than from a dealer. If you are looking at CW, please do a search on this forum.
GigiShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two other big ticket items to check are the operation of the fridge and if equipped, ice maker and the washer/dryer. Both are very expensive to repair or replace. Good luck!
Bobog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, purchase