Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Red face Newbie to Rving

Hello, I do not currently own a motorhome, but I am seriously considering buying one. I am confused by all of the options out there. I am a single woman with not a lot of "mechanical" expertise. Some of my interests which I would pursue while using an RV are biking, kayaking, hiking and enjoying nature. I have a 16 pound dog and a cat who would love to come along for the ride. I would also have a friend or friends join me on some trips. I live in the Southwest, so I am driving at higher altitudes often. I was excited about the Itasca Navion 24J, but not as excited about the smell of diesel. An RV dealer showed me an Itasca Sunstar that was 27 feet long and I liked the layout in it and also all the extra room for toys. Any thoughts on reasons to buy a Class B plus or Class C instead of a smaller Class A? A used motorhome would be an option, but I must admit that I would feel more comfortable with a warranty. Since I've never even been in an RV for a weekend, not totally sure that what size would work best. For now, I would use if for long weekends often and maybe a couple of weeks at a stretch at least twice a year. From what I've read, a lot of people buy a smaller motorhome and then need to trade up to get what they want. I'd like to buy something that will be comfortable for me for several years. Any suggestions from you experienced folks would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
kjh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You might try renting different size and different models to see what you like and can handle
Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the bunch here!

That's a tough question to answer since many things come into play, such as budget, storage availability, etc. I would suggest that you visit as many dealers as you can after deciding how much you want to spend. It's a big decision so you don't want to rush into anything you will regret later.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Welcome. I am a newbie too. I am a single woman ready to buy something after the winter. Look around and see what is comfortable to you in size. I have driven 34 ft.motor homes years ago but decided I wanted something around 17 ft or so. Small enough to handle well and better on gas. Its only me so I think I would be very confortable. Good luck on your dream. Look forward to chatting with you. Where are you from? I am in Florida. Have no desire to leave here yet..lol
rv woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #6

Depending on what your budget is, don't go shorter than 24' or longer than 27', class C with a gas V8. Slide outs are an option, but definitely go used. You'll be surprised at the reliability and dependability of RV's, especially if you get it from a private seller. Not to mention the companies that sell extended warranties for used RV's (I won't plug). Definitely rent if you can, so you can get a feel for backing up and setting up. Welcome to the forum and happy RV ing!

Remember, RV ing is not a hobby, it's a lifestyle!
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

I'm a newbie too and have read repeatedly that it's a good idea to rent different models for long weekends just to see how you do. I'm READY to buy and hit the road, but it's been a long while since I've RV camped, so I'm going to pace myself and start with a three night trip with my boys in a rented Class C. Good luck and blessings to you, I'll be watching for your kayak!
Rosemerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum... A,B or C? That's the age old question. Unfortunately, they ae all good choices if they fit your lifestyle, budget and comfort ability in handling. We could all tell you what we would do, but ultimately it is your decision.....Good Luck..

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, rving