Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #1

North Mississippi new RVer

Hello and thank you in advance for any RVing wisdom you can send my way.
My senior in high school has decided for his senior trip he wants to go on a family camping trip out west, Grand canyon, Yellowstone, Area 51? Any how this will be a first for us pulling a travel trailer, I have a lot of expeirence pulling horse trailers so shouldn't be to bad, unfortunately we only have a little over two weeks to do it.

* any suggestions on good RV parks between Oklahoma and Arizona off int 40? and how many hours per day of driving do you suggest.

*Should we join a camping club like Good Sam, for discounts on campground rates?

*What about securing the camper while we're gone to town to prevent break ins or someone hooking up and driving off with the camper?

* any ideas on camp grounds at Yellowstone?

Ok that was probably more questions than I was supposed to put in a new member greeting huh?
fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Hey fastback, welcome to the forum. You will be able to get a LOT of info here for sure. Don't know how tiring it is to pull a large camper, but I find a 400-mile day to be about my limit, probably depends a lot on your age and conditioning. You should not have crime issues if you chose a decent camping spot. Most campers are aware and wary of deviant behavior.

Your trip sounds like one of my Bucket List items. Have fun, enjoy and take your time. It's the journey, not the destination.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #3

Congrats on getting an RV. I suspect you will have no problem with your experience pulling horse trailers. Good kid you got, most want a trip by themselves.

I like Passport America for discount camping club. I got my two year membership back on first trip. It is a 50% off club.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi neighbor! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

I can't really help with your questions but wanted to welcome you! Where are you located in N MS?

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Goodsams is a great club you don't have to join to use the web site to find a the campgrounds you will ever need. The app is great for traveling. When Im traveling I like to start calling campgrounds when Im about a hundred miles or so from stopping. As for Yellowstone I would go to Reserveamerica.com to find a campground, because it is a state park. The north end of the park by Montana is great. If you are going to camp a lot I would join Goodsams or if you buy stuff from Camping World.
Thor 37GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to the forum! We're glad you signed up! Check out the various sections of the forum for help with your questions (Travel Trailer Owners, Campground Reviews, etc.) You can also check RVParkReviews for reviews of campground facilities in the areas you want to visit. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Fastback and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good camgrounds across New Mexico on I-40. We have stayed in Tucumcari, Albuquerque and Gallup and there are easy off /on I-40. I don't know what your Grand Canyon plans are, there are a few CG's around the Canyon, but we usually use Williams, AZ as our base camp. It is right on I-40 about 50 miles South of the Canyon, 25 miles West of Flagstaff and 25 to 30 miles North of Chino Valley and Prescott, if you want to explore the area. We stay at the Canyon Gateway RV park in Williams. As RonNBama said above, if you stay in reputable parks crime should not be an issue.....Good luck and have safe and happy trip....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #10

Thanks everybody, some good advice to get me started, I will be using info gathered on the various sections on this site.
fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote